I made some Darkwave music

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by iseeghosties, Apr 12, 2022.

1. iseeghosties

iseeghosties Kapellmeister

Soooo I kinda made some darker stuff here. Let me know what you think.

• Like Like x 11
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  3. waverider

waverider Rock Star

impressive how much you've improved in just a few days. keep it up!

Edit: also, the endings need a few seconds of breathing space, at the moment all your tracks are cut off abruptly

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

The main synth (on the 1) could use some variation in the break at 1:17, I'd prefer the overall sound a bit less resonant and the abrupt ending has already been mentioned.
    But basically, a good one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. iseeghosties

So could you explain to me like a direction I could take to not be like so abrupt? I dont know what to do other than just fade out haha Maybe some examples would help

6. iseeghosties

wow I just realized what you guys where talking about. It does just end like on a dime ha I DID not notice that! Thank you for your feedback btw!.

7. Amore_de_la_Vida

Amore_de_la_Vida Platinum Record

Nice one, @iseeghosties! I do like dark wave / cold wave / industrial music, so your music "speaks" to me.

Personally I love more and more to use different kinds of distortions on bass (only on bass), I found it can render a song more "urgent", for example I've started to play with the Modulator of C12, with it you can modulate your sound in synchro with the rhythm, it's what I call "rhythmic distortion": imagine that you could automate the "Drive" button so that it raises rhythmically on some notes, but not on others...
    Just try, you'll see what I mean!

Starting at 1:40, you could try to add a second arpeggio which would be like a "counterpoint" of your main arpeggio / melody. I mean by that: an independent arpeggiated melody which could be like an "answer", a "replica" to you main arpeggio.

Imagine two people talking at the same time, arguing intensively about some random subject, but at a moment you realize that their phrases and words' rhythm and the melody of their voices harmonize "mysteriously" with each other, composing a complex ensemble, which multiplies the sensations for the listener...

I suggest to use some classical Moog "lead" sound for this one, the level of the two arpeggios should be approximately equal, of course you could also play with the faders and make one arp. more prominent than the other at some moment, then reverse the situation at some other moments, or play with pans to make the melodies pass from left to right to create some sort of "vertigo", etc...

With a little bit of automation, the possibilities are endless!

Whatever you do or not, you already have a great basis to improvise, remix and have great fun with it! :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. iseeghosties

geez thanks for such detailed feedback!! I thought about doing the counterpoint arp actually but I thought it would just cloud it up more than it kind of already was. Like for instance I didnt want to much frequency interference/noise going about I just wanted to keep it kind of simple but I will think of that next time! And i did also think about the panning thing as well. So you have some really good points! Thank you again.

9. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Oh yah, that's an abrupt ending as other's have noted, and you already agree haha But other than any other advice you've already received, good stuff. Your music is progressing well!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. EEOC

EEOC Ultrasonic

This is only a template. Doesn't evoke any sensation in me. Waiting something happens but nothing happens.

11. iseeghosties

LOL I did not use a template for this???? I dont even have any downloaded on my computer.

12. iseeghosties

I dont know why I didnt notice it before tbh. I was just not paying attention I guess.

13. waverider

waverider Rock Star

What I mean is, make the piece around 5 seconds longer so that the last moment of the track can fade out naturally. the way it is now, it's cut off and the listener doesn't get to hear the decaying part of the last sounds.

14. EEOC

EEOC Ultrasonic

By template I meant that it's only a simple structure. Needs development but you didn't do it.

15. iseeghosties

Okay so I need to understand how to do that then. Because you guys are right it does just end like on a instant so it sounds funky.

16. iseeghosties

Oh I get you. Idk I guess im not as well versed yet in learning about better arrangement. Alot of synthwavey stuff is pretty dang simple if you ask me though. like when I listen to tracks im like hmm this sounds super simple. But I will take your advice and look into it. :)

17. waverider

waverider Rock Star

What DAW are you using again? in most daws you can specify a loop region and then say in the render menu that it should render that region. other daws have song start and song end markers that you can place.
    when in doubt you can always just paste an empty item in the end for five seconds. that's not elegant but it works. (like, a recording of silence)

18. iseeghosties

im using ableton live. I could also just make the ending longer and have the delay effect playout at the very end.

19. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

More than one way to do it, and really depends on what you're doing, but what seems to be happening (and what I'd say Waverider is getting at) is your rendering end point is right at the end of the song... i.e. right after your last note.

In your head, that probably make sense, but here's the thing.. if you were playing back that track, in some DAWs, when they hit that end point (and unless they're set to loop back to some other point) will just keep playing out the tail end of things like delays, reverbs, sustained notes, etc... so you'll hear all of that on playback. On rendering, however, unless your DAW is specifically set up to render x # of seconds of tails, you'll just abruptly stop and lose all that sound that still plays after the last note.

Sorry, I probably explained that poorly.

Anyways, the easy solution is just to render like an additional 5-10s (depending on what you need) after the final note in your track, so it will keep rendering out the tails. I.e., add 5-10s of blank space at the end, or move your rendering end point x # of s later

You might still need to do something creative to make the end of your song sound better, but that's what I'm guessing happened and why you didn't notice it ends abruptly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. EEOC

EEOC Ultrasonic

If music doesn't have a powerful structure, it quickly becomes repetitive and boring and loses its appeal. Unfortunately, when you look at music from a producer's point of view, your music will not grow. Producer's vision of music is very poor. The ultimate thing they do is decide when to add and when to remove.

This model of looking at the structure will not bring you any positive results.

21. Haliax

Haliax Guest

I must remember to wear glasses, I thought you made some dwarf music