I love Reaper because..

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by Futurewine, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

Hi. I use "Empty Item" from insert option, and, from its GUI, i tick "Stretch to fit item". Maybe jump forward to 10:25 from this tutorial chapter for how-to in details:

that is really something, lol. thanks.

I just learnt this 2 new things about Reaper that I find it pretty fun to play with. (I love it, lol)

1) ReaEQ unlimited band? :woot:
    [​IMG]

2) Inserting just selected region of loop/audio directly from media manager. (i love this)
    [​IMG]

very nice features.

2. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

wow, that IS nice...
    is there anyway you can snap when selecting?

3. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

seems not. but the media explorer allows us to zoom in for precise selection. maybe not a good idea to do details selection in media explorer. some other use for that, maybe like this user preview (she just do selection and press enter for quick insert, lol):

4. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

the guy on the video, sounds a bit like Woody Allen....

5. kokorico

kokorico Platinum Record

I Love Reaper because this the most power full DAW. The most CPU friendly. The lightest in the world. The cheapest daw in the world.
    The most stable on Windows and OSX. An incredible routing. SWS extensions. Mouse modifiers.
    Two major updates for each version for 60 dollars. No Ilok.
    And I use it in the simplest of ways without too many scripts but many different templates. You can add 250 tracks without suffering.
    I used a lot of DAWS but Reaper is the best for me. I can't go back in time. Quick to open, load a large session.
    And ARA is coming.:like:

Con
    He's ugly, sure, but I'm using a theme I like.

6. Jeff Maneville

Jeff Maneville Ultrasonic

I love Reaper because it's an amazing, CPU friendly and highly customizable DAW and also because it makes people who've probably never used it say illiterate, incoherent and imbecilic things about it :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  7. Death Thash Doom

Death Thash Doom Platinum Record

Because I can and I do have my copy running off of a tiny sized 256 gigabyte USB flash drive which also enables me to store plenty of sample libraries, impulse response libraries...etc. A heap of freeware plugins which REAPER does an excellent job of bit-bridging unlike other DAW's that either just do not offer the option meaning a third-party tool such as jBridge is required or a plugin which is capable of hosting plug-ins inside of it (DDMF Metaplugin, Nomad Factory MAGMA, NYRV Systems AGENT, Plug And Mix Chainer, Blue Cat Audio Blue Cat's PatchWork...etc.) or it is available but isn't implemented very well which means using and playing out for one of the aforementioned solutions.

It is as simple or as complex as you want it/require it to be, Although I'm no power user I really appreciate having such a powerful DAW on a tiny flash drive which enables me to go anywhere with it along with using it in a very different manner, Basically put I run it on an older DAW machine that still packs enough grunt to do what I ask of it, Which affords me to still be able to utilize all of the plug-ins I really love a lot but for numerous reasons did not and will not ever receive a 64-bit update, So by using REAPER on that secondary machine as a "slave DSP processing and effects machine", I've not lost things that I value enough to use such a setup along with not having to depend on anything on the main DAW machine running a potentially crash happy bit-bridging setup.

The updates are regular and bugs squashed rather rapidly, No charges for .x updates like Steinbr0g do for example which I think is just obscene, Then the fairly recent news that Cakewalk and SONAR as a DAW which I've known since it were a MIDI sequencer is just being dumped for example, That is just insane from my perspective, It isn't as if it we're some DAW that was experimental and lacks a pretty solid user base...Just madness.

There is plenty more but to keep it brief, Those are the standout features and means of operation it affords that make purchasing a license almost a no brainer even if you do not intend to use it as your main DAW application plus being capable to use other options available is a worthy pursuit as having all one's eggs in a single basket, Lets say SONAR for a great example can cause everything you are used to just cease and from out of nowhere.

All the best to all as always, Cheers :)

Dean

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Blorg

Blorg Producer

Not bad for a budget DAW :winker:
    A Fruity Loops equivalent, when you're ready to step up your game :wink:
    [​IMG]
    Indeed. But wait, check out this marvel of modernity! Not only does it let you preview your samples, it'll find find the tempo & beat-match it for you, pretty much by itself. Magic :woot:

Oh Ableton, how I love thee <3

But your DAW, it's perfectly fine too.
    Nothing wrong with it.
    Good value for the budget-minded :yes:

9. trutzburg

trutzburg Kapellmeister

I love Reaper because on one of my laptops it says at startup:

"You have been evaluating REAPER for approximately 2706 days."

I bought Reaper, but I didn't use the free second license up to now, because of that message.

It is so adorable that a company decides to release an UNRESTRICTED DEMO that is even TIME UNLIMITED.
    When the Demo period ended, i thought 'What is that, it still works !".
    With all those syncrosoft/software center/save-disabled etc. etc. so-called copy-protections around, a DAW product (amongst many others) is simply not doing that shit.
    How can they survive ? Especially with so many functions and updates ?
    Sometimes I think "Baahh, reaper, another update ? Just f* o* ! Steinberg wouldn't do that - they would sell their update for $$$."

And of course, I love Reaper because it is so easy to fill it with vst's, try them out, disable them, it's like a rack with a bonus, that would be the DAW itself :).

I honestly cannot figure out why there are c*ed versions. It is absolutely needless to c*ck reaper, because it works always. Oh yes, there's a four-second wait-time, and a click. Very hard to await and perform.

10. vanhaze

vanhaze Platinum Record

Reaper does also tempo-synced previewing of audioloops in it's Media Explorer.
    And even more: you can live tranpose the audio which is being previewed in semitones :mates:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. vanhaze

vanhaze Platinum Record

Testing Live10 beta - OSX currently.
    Had hoped for Clip FX feature, but nada.

Ableton is running behind bigtime;
    - Protools / Logic / Cubase , they all have some kind of Clip FX integration nowadays.
    And ofcourse is Reaper leading regarding this feature, for years now:
    In Reaper you can have FX chains on different Takes within an Item and also all the parameters of the FX plugins
    in these chains are fully automatable. Say Whaaaaaaat ??!! :wink:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Blorg

Blorg Producer

That's nice, but Ableton ([​IMG]) is not previewing a looped sample. That'd be nothing to brag about, pretty much all DAWs do that.
    Ableton ([​IMG]) takes a raw sample, with no tempo metadata (in the vid, an mp3 downloaded from YT) & tempo-matches/beat-maps it all by itself :woot: (figures out the tempo, and then either matches the project tempo (slaves) or lets the sample's variable tempo set project tempo (master)).
    All I do is set the downbeat, and maybe do some cleanup (say the drummer swings or drags the snare, and I want to loop the sample over a straight beat).
    Would it surprise you to learn that Fruity Loops has been doing dat for nearly 20 years?
    Unless by "leading the way" you meant "lagging by 20 years."

13. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

I love its Stability >>> #1 of the 4 DAW's i own and use in my studio...its latency and plugin handling is unmatched for recording and mixing with a heavy load period :wink:

14. trutzburg

trutzburg Kapellmeister

While I would not compare Reaper and Ableton, I use them both, I was baffled that Ableton does not genuinely support Polyphonic Aftertouch or Pressure. Though the Seaboard and Qnexus/Kboard should work somehow with Ableton, you need as many tracks (plus one) as you want polyphony, plus a multitimbral virtual instrument. And it is said that Max is needed (for MDE, I think). And Max is only in the not-so-cheap Suite...And any question in the Ableton Forum about future implementation is ignored by the Devs. Even despite Ableton sells Push, a device sending Pressure...
    However, for the sake of being multi-DAWed (I also use Cubase 8, on some occasions, and my old Cubase VST 32), I really try not to use any DAW-specific effects or instruments, if they are not available as a vst (so Fl Studio will be my next DAW).
    Well, the only notable drawback of Reaper against Ableton is (for me) the absent clip/scene ability, and I hope I can overcome this with the (paid) playtime plugin. But it would be better if that were implemented in Reaper (say, instead of the new score editor, which I and many others didn't even notice at first).

15. Blorg

Blorg Producer

Been a while since I had a DAW crash on me. Brings to mind old Pro Tools running on a an aging Pentium box, clocked to the hilt. But I guess a stripped-down budget DAW is ideal for squeezing out the last ounce of performance from aging, underpowered setups :)
    I never owned a keyboard that *had* polyphonic aftertouch, do they still make those? Thought it was something like qadrophonic HiFi -- tried & abandoned due to uselessness :winker:

16. trutzburg

trutzburg Kapellmeister

Well, Vangelis had up to eight of them, called Yamaha CS-80 :), and they aren't manufactured anymore.

There are basically three product lines on the market available now, the Keith McMillan Kboard & Qnexus (2 Octaves rubber keys, also other Functions), the Roli Seaboard (up to eight octaves "keywaves", expensive, mini-keyboard cheaper), and the CME Xkey (up to three Octaves, Full Size flat keys).
    Among the used keyboards, I would prefer an ELKA MK88, which is not so rare, and cheap (~200 Euros), but often very outworn, and heavy.

This Polyphonic Aftertouch speciality might be senseless for most people, but once you get into experimenting with it, you can do very interesting things, basically adding a certain level of life to your sounds. It's kind of a mighty toy, but, which electronic instrument isn't ?

17. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I love to scratch my head when I read things like this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. Blorg

Blorg Producer

@trutzburg, I was sorta kidding about aftertouch. Never owned an aftertouch keyboard, but caught myself trying to do vibrato by rocking a finger on a key more than once:facepalm: So at least channel pressure would be neat.

You mentioned FL Studio, I'm not sure it would handle (per-note) aftertouch any better than Ableton. It might simply translate per-note to channel aftertouch, though I'm just guessing.

19. trutzburg

trutzburg Kapellmeister

@Blorg, I thought that you were kidding :) But you are right with Flstudio and PolyAftertouch. It doesn't support it, as noted on the IL and ROLI sites.:sad:

20. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

Hi. Good question. I just started Reaper and got it installed by default options there, I've no clue what it is earlier. I've found some explanation by Reaper user here, I'll just copy and paste:
    source: https://forum.cockos.com/archive/index.php/t-77515.html