I just purchased an iLok USB dongle, I already have an existing email, do I need a new email?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by spncart, Oct 28, 2022.

1. spncart

spncart Producer

I just purchased an iLok USB dongle, I already have an existing email for all my iLok virtual licenses already where I stored them, so... ??

Shall I create a new email address for the iLok USB dongle, or key the same one?

Does activating on the same address counts as 1 (virtual + USB = 1 activation), or does it count for 2 activations?

Also I heard it's expensive in case I lose the USB stick to change things with Avid support, so what's best to do?

I'm doing this to have all my licenses BOTH AT THE SAME TIME on virtual + physical (in case I have no Internet sometimes).

Cheers.

3. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

you don't.

4. spncart

spncart Producer

Does virtual + physical activation on the same email iLok account count as one activation, or two different ones?

5. spncart

spncart Producer

What if I purchase one day another iLok USB (like the USB-C one), will it count as 3 then?

Most plugin companies allow for 2 or 3 activations, so okay I think I understood: I can only have max one virtual (or Cloud) + 1 (or 2) physical dongle activated for each VST, correct?

And emails are irrelevant understood.

How much does it cost to transfer a license in case on day I lost iLok Dongle 1, and want to move all my licenses to iLok Dongle 2? Like 40 USD per transfer, for each plugin?? That's crazy isn't it.

I wanted to stay 100% online, but sometimes I'll miss the internet (traveling) etc., so I prefer to have both a virtual + dongle activation(s?) to be totally safe, does it make sense what I'm trying to do?

6. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

7. spncart

spncart Producer

Yeah ok someone replied on another forum this as well, just pasting it here to complement the answer:

you select whichever target machine or dongle you want to be activated at the time. adding a dongle to an account doesn’t automatically mean authorisations are put on it.

there is no fee to transfer authorisations between dongles on the same account, that’s why I mentioned the ability to have more than one - in case you’re working on a second machine or want to have a backup dongle.

okay great I get it, there's no fee to transfer between dongles AS LONG AS THEY'RE ALL UNDER THE SAME ILOK EMAIL ACCOUNT, correct?

So I can easily buy a new dongle an transfer from the lost dongle to the new dongle from ilok manager, that's dope.

8. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

yup