I hear elements of my song through everyday sounds.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by mewoingtons, Oct 1, 2017.

1. mewoingtons

mewoingtons Producer

Hey. Just wanted to tell you guys about something I've experienced recently.

For two days last week I worked tirelessly on a track for around 18 hours.

During this time, I would take bathroom breaks.

During some of these breaks, I'd turn on my bathroom fan and swear that I was hearing the intro note of the chord progression of the song.

The same thing happened again even after the track was completed, while taking a shit in the bathroom a day later.

After producing for so long, I wanted to take a break, so the past few days I've been playing an fps game to cool off.

I swear, after playing for a few hours I can hear gunfire and other various ambiance from the game from my computer fan and studio monitor hum.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?

It seems like my brain is attaching sound that has been ingrained in my head to neutral, seemingly random ambient sounds that don't have a clear tonal presence. Or perhaps there are particular frequency resonances in the song or game audio that happen to match up with the resonances in the sounds from real life?

Not entirely sure. Regardless, I just thought I'd share in case anyone else has had this happen to them before.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

the power of human imagination. it shows that we dont "experience" what is actually there but our experience is virtual compared to reality.

but relating to the music end of things, you can use that as an opportunity to tap into inspiration before you have even written a song, or times you feel like writers block etc. use that ability to tap into a deeper aspect of your experience related to music, in a way where your imagination can come out in music form.when you have difficult times working on music remember this aspect of yourself and tap right into it and break out of a problem.

4. When we notice that life imitates art we begin translating it into sound because we have to. When the need becomes obsession it becomes a way of life.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2017
  5. Chuchufromjapana

Chuchufromjapana Member

Maybe a dumb question but do u use medics or drugs in the past or last weeks ? Maybe u have encountered this experience ? Or read about that - rumors say Jimy Hendrix was one of them : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

6. Jeen

Jeen Producer

those kind of things happends to me everytime , with birds , coffee machine sound ....it could be anything
    even when i try to sleep , if you working to much hours on a track your brain still working even during your sleep...
    no need drugs lol

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. And then there is using what is heard all around us, such as a creaky door that is a wicked rhythm line or a birdsong that would work in a part you are working on. It goes both ways, coming as well as going as long as you are open to it and let all that you experience become part of the process without separating yourself from the natural and fabricated world. Matter is not lost or gained, just moved around.

8. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

Just got up for a quick waz at 3:30am and there was a Blackbird singing in the dead of night.

9. electriclash

electriclash Guest

ha! I also sing along with the coffee machine :hillbilly::cheers:

10. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Jokes aside lol

This may seem completely different, but many of the people who we were addicted to Tetris back in the day "suffered" one weird thing. Mainly right before begin sleeping, when usually there's a random chain of thoughts/recalls we "imagined" Tetris plays. Without conscientious will at all.

So I feel you and find very interesting this weird plays brain does to us.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List