I have Mojave. Can i create a bootable High sierra install without losing all my plug ins?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by CharlieCrizzle, Nov 17, 2019.

1. CharlieCrizzle

CharlieCrizzle Kapellmeister

I just spent 2 days straight downloading, transfering, and installing software onto my new mac. I wanted to install high sierra immediately but i fucked up. Is it possible to still downgrade without losing all of my stuff? I have disk drill and an external ssd

3. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

I reckon No.. You need to start allover, or at least it'd be best to.. Why would you want HS when your system runs 10.14, which soft- or hardware is incompatible?

4. Bitmonkey

Bitmonkey Producer

Agreed no issues here on Mojave with anything

5. CharlieCrizzle

Look mojave is fine except my 32bit plug ins arent working. I just heard from a few people that HS had a little better cpu wise . If there was a a way to make a bootable drive and go back I would try it out. But theres no chance i go back with a clean install .

6. recycle

recycle Guest

I’m afraid you cannot.

What you can do for the future is the following:

• Install macOS and clone hdd
    • Install updates and basic software, clone hdd again
    • Install everything (warez, plugins and stuff), clone hdd again
    Now, In case of major malfunction you will have 3 different recovery backups, whatever catastrophe happens, within 20 minutes everything will be working again on your Mac.
    A nice app to get the job done is Clonezilla you can do that with Carbon copy cloner also

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2019
  7. Bitmonkey

Bitmonkey Producer

Mojave doesn't force 64-bit plugins but the DAW version you're using might. 64-bit across all apps/plug-ins is not enforced fully until Catalina.

JBridge or 32Lives still work to bridge 32-bit plug-ins on Mojave.

8. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

Do you know the last version of 32Lives that was released and works with Sierra + etc before they went to iLok protection?

9. Bitmonkey

Bitmonkey Producer

I dont sorry mate I have a legit copy of 32Lives from years ago but I dont have any 32-bit stuff I use now since Sylenth got full 64-bit.

10. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Finally done some real-world tests with downgrading from Catalina and Mojave. It is possible. The only incidence it isn't is the new 16" laptops with the new hardware keyboards. There are no firmware/software combinations from previous years that are able to support this hardware yet. Eventually... maybe.

As for downgrading, I've seen TWO options. Partition the existing drive with the required format and decrease the primary to as small as you can and install the needed OS on the secondary partition. This is the hassle free but somewhat bloated option.

Or format the entire disk and install your needed OS. You would have to create a bootable installer first as booting into Recovery Mode on a new mac will access their server image for whatever OS was preinstalled on your newly bought system. Hold ALT with a drive plugged in to boot from it.

Are you on a desktop @CharlieCrizzle ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. CharlieCrizzle

MBP