I have been attempting to recreate this sound for at least a year!

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by chris92, Jan 14, 2022.

1. chris92

chris92 Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  2. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I recorded a quick and exaggerated example last night but didn't upload it (I thought "meh" and went to bed). Here it is now.
    https://vocaroo.com/179JDjRWwpQO
    Obviously I'm not singing in the same range as the other guy, but I was just making a quick test (a capella and without any backing music as my kids were sleeping nextdoor). Important things to mention/think about:
    1) Proximity and plosives can actually be good in order to add some closeness, especially since you will filter these lower frequencies out. It emulates the sound of speaking over the phone/walkie-talkie/whatever.
    2) I rolled off the vocals under 500 and boosted the 800-1000Hz range (honk and nasality).
    3) Since I went all boxy/nasal/telephone/shitty speaker on the original vocal (losing sibilance), I had to make-up with parallel processing to add some sibilance. I added a parallel send with highpass (at around 5k I think), just to let the sibilance through and then I saturated that and added a dynamic EQ to control the loudest sch/ess.
    Note that I exaggerated it. It doesn't have to be this drastic.

To answer your quoted question above: you make a send from the dry/original vocal and then process that, if you want to have it have more character. You then mix that in with the original. You can make as many parallel chains as you want, but beware that some phasing issues can (and probably will) occur.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. chris92

chris92 Member

Yes of course, the odd rectangle EQ. The issue is maintaining some semblance of clarity at the same like like many lads do. Maybe I am listening to closely on the (what I'm guessing) is a mid-range bandpass on a clean EQ with cleaned out 2-500? I am so new to this game. My entire family consists of both professional, shop owners and just hobbiest. I am learning notation/scale through autotune rather than theory lol.

4. chris92

chris92 Member

Hi! This is amazing! Can I contact you else where? This is exactly what I am looking for!!!

5. chris92

chris92 Member

Let's just chat here - when you say parallel processing, (I am using FL) that would simple be sending rather than routing, correct? Would the eq I am trying to "pass" have to be completely swept on the original eq for it to "shine through" or is that all dependant on my own mix.

Edit: Waaaa! I think a lightbulb just went off in my head. Thank you so much!!!!!!!!

Double edit: Did not know parallel processing referred to two literal samples on two separate channels.

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

There are many ways to process a vocal. Parallel processing (yes, maybe it's called FX "sending" in FL) is just one tool, just like serial processing. You can split things up into parallel bands (sends/aux) and treat those differently. You can have say three FX sends/aux/parallels: one band/channel for just the 800-1kHz-honk/nasality, one channel/band for the 6k clarity and one for the sibilance and higher frequencies. Then you mix these like a salad. The person eating it will say "ah, nice salad" instead of mentioning all the individual ingrediences.
    Experiment! Have fun!
    You are welcome!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. WizzDome71

WizzDome71 Producer

A bummer says "Now I undestand why music has become what it is. People TRY (during years???? wtf) to recreate SHIT from generation to generation. Just like we were TRYING to recreate what we could call Master Pieces from great musicians".
    The end is near.

Tell me what you listen to, I will tell you who you are.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. 9ty

9ty Kapellmeister

I don't understand this point of view, which seems to be common sense to many people regarding the music world.
    Isn't it obvious that music is always changing? Each era sounds radical different from the others ... even if you only look at the time from the 50s to now, there are many drastic changes ... Elvis/Beatles/Prince/Nirvana/... there are so many different styles over the years ... why do some people think, the process stopped in todays music?

9. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

It is the zeitgeist = general attitude, mental attitude, characteristic of a certain historical time. Music always reflects the social conditions and talents were and are always rare. Today you don't have to learn an instrument anymore, Fl studio etc makes it possible. YouTube is free. Almost everyone has a smartphone. Since anyone can make music today and anyone can upload, there is more music from the people.

However, the quality of the music, like the skill and knowledge of society, is mostly meaningless bad music. For those who upload, it's certainly a great feeling to say to the world, hello, I'm there too. For the people who are looking for good music it's more of a martyrdom to listen through all the bad sounds. Only education education education helps against stupidity. This bad music will not last. And will be dreary as bits and bytes on any server.

10. 9ty

9ty Kapellmeister

What is skill? What is knowledge of society?
    For example: The Beatles experienced with drugs. There are some metaphoric hints in their lyrics.
    Zeitgeist-Artists like Future or Lil Peep have in your face lyrics about their personal drug abuse.
    Which are the ones with more "knowledge of society"?

11. HikaruSniper

HikaruSniper Ultrasonic

I liked the music and rhythm but not the ultra hidden vocals. Do you hate your vocals that much? do you think you sound SO terrible you NEED to hide the vocals?
    IMO you should bring vocals to the front, have confidence on yourself.
    No offense intended.

• List
  12. 9ty

9ty Kapellmeister

@chris92
    is it you: oaf1? I first understood you, that this artist is your inspiration here. But reading a few other posts, I'm not sure I got it right...?

13. chris92

chris92 Member

boomer talk

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. WizzDome71

WizzDome71 Producer

two words, two notes, two brain cells. that's what your generation, sadly, is capable of.

Maurice Ravel which is a super boomer ancestor died in 1937. A century after (2037) what will your legacy be? Good luck Zombies

I still have the right to think that your music is music for dummies and sucks like never before. I assume that 100% and I don't see why I should like things that aren't worth listening to, just because they are supposed to be "newer" and coming from the "evolution" of music.
    I am a super dupper boomer who likes Mozart and Bach and I can't do anything for you if you don't know ANYTHING about music, its history and revolutions.

You're in the denial that you lost the sense of taste and culture, you don't want to look behind you and go back to your roots because you are the decadent zombies of a dying humanity who thinks newer is better /younger is smarter / truth is a lie

The worst of all in that case is that the guys from this pretentious generation think they have invented everything including the "telephone" voice sound, but the problem is that it's been here since the 70s. you are just copy cats, not even talented. wake up there is a preset for this in Pro Q3. Boomers think artists shouldnt be preset artists and that is our RIGHT.

Go and make your music with Scaler and Arcade, with your Komplete Kontrol and Ableton Push if you like but don't expect melomanes to like your stuff.
    Hold on!! they will all be dead in a few years and you will be able to be the new prophets of music. But as long as boomers live you will only be what you trully are: usurpers

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  15. blackmoon

blackmoon Kapellmeister

The eq as No Avenger :guru: mentioned will get ya there imho!

Could always try Shure sm57>phase 90 guitar pedal>autotune too, which could be fun! Make sure you have the right xlr for converting the signal from the stomp box. :wink:

16. chris92

chris92 Member

are you okay? this post reeks of mental instability. few too many loose.

17. chris92

chris92 Member

wow, holy, crap! that was really funny. hilarious man!

18. WizzDome71

WizzDome71 Producer

again a typical reaction of these self satisfied loosers. whenever you contradict them they call you insane. Pure denial of the sad truth

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

All you have to do is ask people on the street what their most pressing problems are. This varies from place to place from country to country. These answers can then become the basis of a song.

20. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

What elitist, insecure and bitter drivel is this? I'm close to a boomer, but this is messed up. Are you sure you are ok, mentally? Sounds like someone/something hurt you real bad.

Edit: No one wants your hijacking negativity anyway. None of your posts have actually contained any helpful answers to the OP's question. Why don't you help out (with your wizzdome) instead of spreading your bitterness?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List