I have been attempting to recreate this sound for at least a year!

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by chris92, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Direct drive

Direct drive Producer

Sounds like telephone preset which is on many eqs, with maybe filters/auto pitcher

2. lxfsn

lxfsn Platinum Record

If you'd spend that year making original music/sounds, probably these days some guy on some forum would post a song of yours asking how that sound was made. Many cool/new/unique sounds are happy accidents and not even the original creator would come up with them on purpose. The moment you understand this is the moment you actually start being an artist

3. 9ty

9ty Kapellmeister

Guy in this video tells the other way around:

4. lxfsn

lxfsn Platinum Record

Gregory: “it didn’t sound exactly like the recording, but we got the vibe” - while the op wants to sound exactly as the example he provided (essentially looking for a preset).

No doubt there is gain from studying accomplished artists but is rarely a gain in obsessively looking for presets (which are small details in the big picture of a song) - unless you don’t want to actually make music but rather decompose others’.

Otoh, Gregory (as Sneaky Little Devil) has exactly 8 songs on Spotify so I wouldn’t rely too much on his advice on the creative side (I suppose is more a mixing engineer and soft/hard developer).

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

No, I mean a parallel process. You mix in a bandpassed and saturated signal with your dry signal. The parallel signal can be "over the top" bandpassed and sounding like a broken 2" speaker box. You can use very steep highpass and lowpass to "dial" in the size and shittyness of the speaker box. You then saturate it. Then you mix it in with your dry (but maybe also highpassed) vocal, to taste.

Edit: You can start simple with a bandpass at around 800Hz to 1kHz. That's the honk-, phone- or nasal frequencies. Or try just a big boost with (bell) EQ around this area (and turn down the gain to compensate).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Ŧยχøя

Ŧยχøя Audiosexual

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. vuldegger

vuldegger Producer

steep filters, heavy autotune + bitcrusher is my guess. it sounds horrible though

8. chris92

chris92 Member

Thank you. This worked and was the solution/likely what they are doing.

9. chris92

chris92 Member

To each their own I guess.

10. chris92

chris92 Member

11. chris92

chris92 Member

Actually, in response to this: I am very happy where I have come in a year. A year ago, I had no idea what M/S compression was, had no clue about particulars of certain EQ softwares and have actually gained a preference. I primarily do vocals - so it is a nice feeling being able to put something together based on what someone is playing for me - in a relatively short time for a demo.

So yeah, I get what you are saying... but, I have progressed quite a bit. Still working :)

edit: I sort of learned how to create a basic vocal chain for my preferred genre. I am happy, going into it - most plugins are very intimidating/volatile.

12. dia manu

dia manu Producer

ask the engineer?

13. chris92

chris92 Member

Unfortunately, its a pretty niche and cliquey scene where individuals usually produce everything from the instrumentals (using kits, of course) and vocal chains. A lot of the DIY chains have amazing sound quality given the resources at hand often (old Auto Tune EVO/Stock FL).

TLDR; People in this scene are unfortunately secretive of their methods used.
    Double edit: I just started trying to mix vocals around 6 months ago.

14. 9ty

9ty Kapellmeister

Yeah, I see what you mean, for sure. Gregory tells in this video, that plugins/mic choice etc.pp. are not the main thing that leads you to your musical goal. In this case, it was the way of looking obsessively HOW Ringo Starr played his drums ... and this is exactly how I unterstand your point. Don't hunt like crazy for some technical aspects, focus on the musicality behind it.

In case of OP: maybe it's a good idea to focus on the way you sing the vocals, too!

15. chris92

chris92 Member

Thank you!

So say I am in a DAW. I have my vocal mixing track with all my plug-ins ready to go. Would I 'send' the signal from the vocal FX track to the bandpassed EQ + saturation, or the other way around? I know after that point I can use the mix 'knob' to decide how much of what I have applied to both EQ and saturator in the other mixing track. Sorry - I am unable to test right now.

16. chris92

chris92 Member

There is a definitive case of practice (in all forms) and repeating the process produces better vocals. I have had some 'nice' samples, however there is just one key plug-in/route/send that is very stereotypical in this genre that I have (or have not) figured out.

Thanks for the kind words.

17. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hi @chris92.

The room in which you record is also crucial, most rooms at home are actually not suitable for recording perfect vocals. You can of course optimize the space or go to the studio. The quality of the microphones and monitors, as well as practical experience are also important.

Optimize Your Vocal Booth with Sphere | Tech Talk
    https://townsendlabs.com/optimize-your-vocal-booth-with-sphere/

How to prepare your home studio for recording vocals
    https://splice.com/blog/prepare-studio-recording-vocals/

Do's & Don'ts Of Recording Studio Acoustic Treatment Setup - www.AcousticFields.com

18. chris92

chris92 Member

Hi and thanks for the great post.

I do have a pop screen and a smaller sound isolation/absorber around my mic (AT4040). My room was sound proofed after a recent flood (without revealing anything, my family is quite involved or was involved heavily in the popular music scene. All guitarists.), so quite literally 0 noise unless the door is open.

I do have an understanding of proximity, breath, diaphraphm and the other techniques used when recording vocals.

19. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hi @chris92, I've listened to your song a few times. I think you should do several versions of this, one without these effects on the vocals. The phaser or chorus squashes the frequencies, prefer only reverb and delay. It looks like you're talented enough to actually produce good songs. So far it sounds mediocre and your song structure is also mediocre. The song is too short 1:28 minutes. Your voice is quite good, make more of it.

20. chris92

chris92 Member

For a vocal chain -

Noise Reduction if Necessary
    Tuner
    EQ
    Compressor
    R-verb
    Delay

The rest can be fiddle with?