I Hate You

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Skull, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Skull

Skull Producer

So here is a 2017 Remake of a song i did 3 years ago. You may find it a bit repetitive &, in extreme cases, boring but i'm actually seeking to have feedback on how to make it less repetitive or boring.

Here's the old version:

and here's the new one:

And also: Penguins.

3. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

sounds pretty good homey, keep making more parts like you already started to break it up a bit more and have the drums have a couple faster notes every so often

like when you get to the end of a whole section that already repeated before , go right into a totally new part that is still reminiscent and similar

break it donw to when working on it picture how the music makes you want to move it , want a double time? want a breakdown?
    you can make parts that feel slippery or parts that tight or parts that rubber band stretch , or parts that sludge etc. you your imagination

4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I'm more into mixing and mastering but you asked about arrangement, so:

Actually I'd prefer the first version. It's more song-like. With a vocalist there's nothing too repetitive. You could add some arpeggio-like melodies in the last part (before the voices) with synth or strings.

In the remake this structure is gone to some extend.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  5. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

here some inspiration ideas for you

6. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

As I've said: some lovely voices [​IMG]

7. Johnny Blaze

Johnny Blaze Member

Good job on the remake. While this is not my type of music, I found that almost all of the elements in the first version were too raw. They lacked character. Not the case with the remake though. It sounds more professional and that makes a lot of difference in a finished piece of music.

Arrangement wise, I didn't think none of the tracks are repetitive. Good variation in the progressions, good FX placement, and the extra percussive elements like the cymbal crashes on the last bar before the new musical phrases were spot on.

Overall, good job mate. While it's kind of obvious that the first one is a remake of the first one, it sounds like a whole different track. For the better.

8. seriousofficial

seriousofficial Producer

this track has Rammstein written allover it, not a bad thing of course but the people behind that production have raised the bar quite high if you want to follow that route. A good thing you did is change the guitars from the first version into those of the retake version. Those first parts really sounded like they came from a Kontakt bank (like they did) and the same goes for the bass guitar which you didn't change unfortunately. Productions like these all start (or end) with a GOOD drumsound.(the drum producion in the first version sounds better suitable for the song than the one in the remake) Compare it to a wall on which all the paintings are displayed and if that wall is all cracky and unplastered, all the paintings look like cheap replicas even if you'd put up the Nightwatch or the Mona Lisa. The kick in Rammstein productions has a lot of low end and a fair amount of click and is mixed very upfront. It blends with the bass guitar that has a sharp cranky edge. On both the versions the bass guitar is more like a blanket, it sounds muffled and has all the frequencies that do not define the low. It's muddy. The guitar sound in the retake is actually very ok to work with and so are the keyboard sounds in both versions. What the track is screaming for is a vocal part like @No Avenger already mentioned. The song needs work on the production side of it to give it the dynamics and the power that Rammstein clearly puts in all of their song productions, that's why they blow you right away instantly. You've got something good there, you need to put in some more work in the details of it, but ..... very promising!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List