i freeze/render a track wavefrom is a brick even when track fader lowered

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by petrrr, Oct 10, 2022.

1. petrrr

petrrr Kapellmeister

so i have a track with an instrument and effects and i freeze/rendered it to see the waveform and it was like a brick

i said ok i'll just lower the volume of the fader to get a more healthy looking waveform (not for any particular reason) but wanted to just try it

but i keep lowering the fader track down and its much lower (in listening volume) than my other tracks but still its waveform looks like a brick....what could be causing this?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
  3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

How To Increase Waveform Size In REAPER (Quick and Easy!)

To increase your waveform size in REAPER, all you need to do is hold down the ‘Shift’ key and press the ‘Up Arrow’ key until you have achieved your desired waveform size. Keep in mind that this does not affect the volume of your tracks, just their appearance.
    Source:
    www.homemusicmaker.com/increase-waveform-size-reaper

Easier REAPER Editing Waveform Peak Display Increase

4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

:facepalm: Not the problem he described - at all.

5. No Avenger

Best Answer
    Probably this
    If you squash the signal to death this happens before it hits the fader. The fader only determines the level of the brick not its look.

6. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Oh - I thought I understood that - sorry.

7. petrrr

petrrr Kapellmeister

thanks! i need to pay more attention to in an out metering of plugins, one effect was boosting the signal too much and didn't pay attention to the level going out of that effect

8. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

I - and I'm sure many others - are happy to help, but honestly, I wonder why you don't help yourself. You obviously have access to the internet and therefore also to youtube. Cockos has an official youtube channel (REAPER Mania) where pretty much all questions about Reaper are answered very comprehensively and beginner-friendly. Why don't you start there first, and then ask here if you need further - individual - help? I can only speak for myself: I don't understand. You don't learn anything if you are constantly given the correct answers without first trying to find a solution yourself.

9. No Avenger

Sounds like a good idea. [​IMG] :winker:

Just a hint, the Max Volume in the JS Volume Adjustment plugin works like a limiter, if you push up Adjustment too high the signal gets limited.

10. petrrr

petrrr Kapellmeister

i watched a ton of those vids
    and some things I need to search hours upon hours to find a simple answer

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
  11. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

This is samsome, remember him? Guy has issues (clinical ADHD, looks like), but it's mostly not his fault and cutting him off from society would be unfair. Let him be and keep in mind he's not like that on purpose.

12. FrankPig

FrankPig Platinum Record

One of the suggestions for when you asked how to get a fuller sounding kick drum last week had the Youtube dude SMASHING the Pultec eq into the red, with no consideration of gain staging/output level. This is the consequence of certain (well-meaning) forum members Googling a question, or in some cases what they think a question is like above, and copy/pasting the first answer that comes up, whether it's correct/relevant or not - it's a case of the blind leading the blind(er).

13. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

I went to the REAPER Mania channel and, based on your statement "see the waveform and it was like a brick", entered "clipping" in the search mask. Here are the results: https://www.youtube.com/c/REAPERMania/search?query=clipping
    All of the first 3 videos would have been helpful in solving your problem. It didn't even take me a minute.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to make you look bad. The best help, in my opinion, is the advice that you learn the most when you try to solve your problems yourself first. Not only do you learn how to use a search engine, what your mistake was and how to fix it, but you also learn critical thinking and problem solving strategies. So the time you invest in problem solving is not a waste, but as the word implies, an investment in yourself.
    No one is talking about cutting off anyone from anything.

14. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

Yeah, sort of variation of The Marching Morons. lol
    [​IMG]

15. clone

clone Audiosexual

I don't use Reaper, so be that what it may. But he is talking about moving faders around, so couldn't he misunderstand Pre and Post Fade Listen also? As well, utilizing Clip/Region Gain could be suggested, so the displayed size of the waveform does actually change? Maybe he has reduced the dynamics within the file this far, but actually never clipped the audio (ala digital distortion).

Usually there are a few misunderstood/frequently mis-explained subjects rolled into each one of these.