I don't understand the different "parts" i.e. part 1, part 2, part 3. when downloading vst plugins

Discussion in 'Software' started by thegreatjake98, Feb 27, 2020.

1. thegreatjake98

thegreatjake98 Newbie

I try and download certain VST plugins on audioz and when I try to download it there are many different parts that I need to download. Can someone help me understand what i need to do when I download all these parts?? Thanks!

3. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

you will need a program like winrar to unpack the compressed .rar files and assemble them together into a single file or group of files. i use peazip, a free and very versatile program for extracting files.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

That is correct, I will add that .rar is not the only compression format that we use to upload. It could be .zip or .iso. Moreover, all the parts must be downloaded prior to extracting, otherwise you are going to have errors when attempting to extract the file. Finally, sometimes it will be necessary for you to repeat the process with files that you have already extracted but are still "compressed" either as a .rar. or .zip or .iso. Sometimes it is necessary to compress files several times in order to reduced the sized of the release and make it easier to upload/download. For example, with Spectrasonics I went from .Zip to .rar to .iso.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. mr.personality

mr.personality Producer

awww fukket

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  6. tun

tun Rock Star

to add to @realitybytez and @The Pirate answers. download all the parts to the same location (or move them to the same location later), then you can just extract the first part and they will all extract. you do not need to extract them all seperately.
    from there you go into the extracted file and you might find more zip/rar/etc files, which will also need to be extraced usually

7. thegreatjake98

thegreatjake98 Newbie

So I don't need to extract "part 02, part 03 etc."? I only need to extract part 1?

8. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

You should have a .rar file somewhere in your download location.

Extract that.

Sometimes when you extract, you get another compressed file. Move every compressed file you have extracted to the same folder and extract the main file. It will be a .zip or a .rar

[​IMG]

.rar

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  9. tun

tun Rock Star

correct.
    extracting part 1 alone will extract all of the parts in one process. if you attempt to extract the rest i believe they will just do the same thing anyway.

side note. i think all the parts must be in the same folder for the extraction to work correctly.

10. tun

tun Rock Star

yes, i forgot to mention that.
    personally i extract the first file, then put the original zip into backup, and just allow the rest of the zips to unpack inside the folder they happen to land in, then once installation is complete i remove the top file and all its contents.
    that is the lazy way though and sometimes i get errors because file paths are too long. Pinkmans answer is much better for avoiding that.
    if you do come across it the easiest solution is to drag it somewhere like the desktop until you finish installation, then just delete it afterwards.

11. doctorG

doctorG Kapellmeister

All good explanations above....

TO simplify:Sofware programs today may be Large in size...or for safety reasons to transmit across the internet
    they are divided(or squeezed together) into many smaller parts: ie part1,part 2 n so on....you need to download all the pieces of the program (All rars) in the same spot..then use a program to "unsqueeze (uncompress) them like winrar...winzip...peashot etc

Some groups double squeeze...or compress software twice.....So U may get a 2nd set of rar files to "uncompress to get to the installation
    programs needed to install

As mentioned simply right clik "rar 1" and choose extract here....and the rest will follow....

One Point "It is often helpful to mention what OS ur on...Windows or Mac....So rthat specific programs to your operating system can be mentioned to help!
    Good Luck

12. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

"The first part of the party of the first part shall be known in this contract as the first part of the party of the first part"

Marx Brothers - A Night at the Opera
    (1935)

:winker:

13. Don't forget the Sanity Clause
    Hey! You no fool me. There ain't no Santy Claus.

14. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star