I decided not to use any preset and just synthesize them for being original.

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by foster911, Jan 14, 2017.

1. foster911

foster911 Guest

This is not a track.
    Please don't focus just on making track using the available presets if you want to be a big producer. Thanks!:thanks::bleh:

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. Kloud

Kloud Guest

Actually really quite like it foster :yes:
    If you use your own patches also it's always gonna be original & can set you off on a whole different dimension or journey.
    Could use lfo on one of main patches to modulate the sound a bit so it not so static but you could want it that way of course.
    Like it though.
    Good for you Nice one :bow::yes:

4. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I actualy started hearing harmonies and counter melodies in my head. This little piece you made is inspiring

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. foster911

foster911 Guest

Using them in the context of a track is a real can of worms. I like long synthy sounds. Unfortunately most presets are short ones that jack human up and galvanize him just into action of making melodical and harmonious tracks. When you make something longer (eg. 5 or 10 seconds), the situation is going to be totally different.

I mean it's better to think about the sounds from a different perspective. When you put a keyboard in front of you, inadvertently you're being convinced to make just melody and harmony and it's a big trap that I always fall into it but when you intend to look at the track from a sound-designer view, the aim would be something different.

I know, people here would go like this behind me:
    One day long chord progression and now long sounds.:bleh:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2017
  6. Kloud

Kloud Guest

Well u correct in that music theory, song construction etc totally different field to sound design\synthesis but a decent understanding of both always gonna serve you well in the long run I guess. :dunno:
    If you like long synthy sounds then there nothing to stop you utilising that etc.
    Go listen to some Jean-Michel Jarre if u not like Oxygene and u hear all that cool stuff. U can pick out all the sound design elements but they used in a track context.
    As for presets nothing to stop you changing them towards long pad type sound turn up the attack,sustain, release on envelope and turn down decay. Can quite quickly transform a simple pluck or stab into something more ethereal.
    Important thing really I guess is all in the layering and how you use it.
    Always gonna b difficult 2 use pad tho for a up tempo melody line I guess lol. They gonna form backing in main really.
    Pretty sure u could turn your effort into something real cool.
    TBH I also was thinking straight away in terms of melody lines and harmonies to put over top.
    Do whatever u like long as the end result comes out good and the way you want it. :bow::yes:

• List
  7. foster911

foster911 Guest

Made this one right now. I did not want to add any melody but unintentionally added it.:unsure:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Sounds like a soundtrack for 1930`s Dracula.Go back in time and earn your place in history bro.

9. foster911

foster911 Guest

:rofl:
    [​IMG]

10. Kloud

Kloud Guest

U sure u not like just reversed one of your earlier tunes.
    Sounds way fuzzy and pretty creepy.
    Deffo not listen 2 that when u like trippin balls or u end up in infirmary or an institution 4 life locked up with no instruments 2 play on :yes:
    Lol pretty cool tho :bow:

11. Avenel

Avenel Kapellmeister

Thumbs up !
    But no offence, all your sounds are already available as presets in many many synths.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. foster911

foster911 Guest

Of course, much more better than mine but what matters is believing in the approach and trying to be more creative.

Most people want to make a track as fast as possible so they usually prefer to use the presets. The listener always want something different and we should not forget that more than half of the originality and catchiness are related to the sounds.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2017
  13. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

I see no problem using presets for quickly laying a track down, that's what I do too, I just don't want to lose time while capturing my ideas.
    The interesting part comes later: Making your song better by fine-tuning the sounds and the composition.
    Both can co-exist perfectly :wink:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I won't lie, I use presets to find a something close to what I hear in my head. Then I turn off all the built-in reverbs and delays and sometimes distortion. Change the envelopes and speeds, number of voices and detune. Tweak the tables add/remove a sub osc and or noise. And make the sound I want out of it, then resave it. I wish the preset makers would get hip and make preset with no reverb and delay. But the kiddies wont buy that without the candy coating. I have run into some packs with no verbs before. That preset maker understood.
    Building a preset from scratch takes more time for me than shaping one to where I want it

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  15. foster911

foster911 Guest

I hope so but it usually does not happen in the reality. Choosing and working with sounds in the early stages route you to different paths than choosing them at later times. I'm talking about the initial ideas arise from the selected sounds. When you choose A you'd go to Y and when you choose B you'd go to Z. Selecting simple sounds imo is the worst thing I can do because with the simplicity, my mind can not go anywhere.

• List
  16. Kloud

Kloud Guest

Yeah I reckon trying to use synthesis to create every sound you want and then use is going to be an extremely time consuming and tall order. Great for learning but in reality going to be hard unless your real experienced and quick with it.
    Agree with fiction that presets handy that way as they save you time and it's much easier to shape or tweak once you have set out the fundamentals. Saves time and lot's of effort. :yes:
    Also agree with subGENRE that many of the preset packs come with to many effects.
    Is always real useful when they provide two versions of the patches.
    One with all the modulation effects added and one with the patch plain and simple.
    Hardly any do it but it is useful.
    Don't see any reason why the dev can't really but who knows. :dunno:

17. Avenel

Avenel Kapellmeister

because no potential buyer will be impressed by Dry sounds.
    moreover, a sound designer will consider the Wet sound as the final sound, if you make it Wet it doesn't make sense, they were not designed as Dry, if you use them Dry it's like using a different sound and i fully agree with sound designers on this.

18. Avenel

Avenel Kapellmeister

Yes but still we're stuck with the usual bunch of waveforms since the 70s, at best we have wavetables, layering, and a ton of FX chains but while the modern FX are incredible and allow us to dwelve into uncharted territories the starting Dry sounds we can produce on a synth are still the same over and over ... i would focus on FX research than on synth research, if we listen carefully at any good song we will notice their secret sauce is always the mixing and the FX ... FX are king while Dry sounds are dime a dozen.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  19. Kloud

Kloud Guest

Sure the final patch the way the dev tweaked it may be his interpretation.
    That's cool and that's his direction. I agree with that.
    However the dry sound would questionably make a good starting point for the complete novice.
    Since you talk about FX Chains as being paramount etc then a dry sound, basic waveforms, lfo settings, envelope etc may act as a good template that would possibly give the complete novice a good starting block to build with and explore that territory.
    I'm sure some might find it useful and to include both would possibly benefit some :dunno:

20. foster911

foster911 Guest

Please let me have an opposite view. The beauty of sound is in its dry form. I mean please listen to the sounds of nature in the dry form. What makes a sound designer a sound designer is having capability in changing the frequencies in the dry domain. Adding FXs will no add more value to the sound. It will just glorify it but the base will not change alot.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  21. Kloud

Kloud Guest

Yeah kind of agree Foster. Not necessarily wrt with synthesis where combining waveforms etc but especially with sampling and that direction. Distinction should be made tho I guess.
    Dry sounds are real important there and the FX. Well that the easy bit. Capturing the pure essence in it's true form the hard bit. :yes: