I can't stay in the studio today

Discussion in 'Education' started by Anonymous363, May 27, 2016.

1. Anonymous363

Anonymous363 Noisemaker

as the title says..
    I have to finish a mix so i don't really have a lack of inspiration..
    But i just quit my daw after 30 mins felt really bored.. Yesterday i spent like 10 hours and 12 hours the day before without beign bored.
    What happened? Did it happen to you sometimes? Any suggestion?

3. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

You are tired, your ears are tired and your mind is warning you. Take a break (...a long one if you can).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

Best Answer
    I spend an average of 14hrs a day minimum in the studio, every day including sundays. Unless I'm on the road or in the air. But here's what I do to keep my head, ears and body fresh; I take little 10 / 15min breaks to read, chat or sit on the terras with my eyes closed, in silence. But it happens that boredom creeps in, then I pick a card from the Oblique Strategies box and take it from there. I deal a lot with deadlines so I can't afford to slack. Reaching for a nice track and listening to it focussed can also help to get that mindset back on track.

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

It starts to sound redundant to your ears after a while. You need to take a break for a day, it's normal. It's hard to know if the mix is enjoyable after many hours of repetition because our ears are following the mechanical aspects of the individual sounds as opposed to relaxing and listening to the whole mix as one. You have to take a break so your ears will be a little less familiar with it when you return and listen. If you mix for too many hours in a row you absolutely have to use a reference track because your ears lose the ability to distinguish how bright or dark the music actually is. I don't like to A>B much. I prefer to take a break then come back and be confident again about what I'm hearing.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Anonymous363

Anonymous363 Noisemaker

Insteresting.. But what you do in 14 hrs everyday? I mean you keep mixing for 14 hrs ? And you take a break every hour?

7. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I've been using Headspace.

8. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

thats why my daw computer has internet, I go online to get impressed by others work

9. If you can afford to do so, take a step back and enjoy the day, away, from the screen, lest you start to scream, steam and choke. It needs be fun or as close to love as you can reach.

10. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I go online with my non-DAW laptop that I got for free (because a car ran over it) :bleh:

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  11. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

@Anonymous363 I'm not mixing all day I do a lot of just producing, playing around. Administrative shizzle, phones, although those I turn off regularly. Have looksee on forums like here :) Yeah, about every hour, hour and a half I make a point of it to halt for sec. But no, 14, 16hr day is normal for me.

12. Trevor Gordon

Trevor Gordon Platinum Record

System overload. Were you well rested? Did you have something stressful happen personally? Lack of sleep and something stressful always ruins my focus when it comes to producing.

13. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Happens to me every couple of months or so. Nothing abnormal about it. You need a break. The longer, the better. Go on a vacation to the Maldives and sip some champagne on the beach while staring at some of the nice college tits and ass that pass you by - if you can afford it, that is. LOL.
    No, but seriously. Take a good break. Go do some shit that has nothing to do with music. I usually just go for an evening walk and stop for a rest at the park to watch the summer stars happily twinkle as if there's a soul around that gives a shit. Lol.

14. jeffglobal

jeffglobal Producer

From another perspective, your pool of neurotransmitters can get depleted from the intensity and duration of your "process" and you may just have to wait for the overworked system to reset. With artwerski, it's possible short frequent breaks could allow smaller resets such that it never builds until your pistola is empty. It's literally like, you can't squirt out anymore. It can take a couple days if it's just that.

It has happened to me, and I thought it was something serious, but I got good at identifying it and as the the pool replenishes, magically back to normal.

The nifty thing about your brain, is you're the last one to notice any problems if at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  15. Anonymous363

Anonymous363 Noisemaker

Thank you all .. Just the fact that i'm not the only one helped me so much.
    Now im gonna try to take some rest every 1/2 hours

16. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

You just need some exercise,like these guys.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List