I can't copy some Kontakt libraries to my external drives no matter what

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by peshti, Jun 23, 2017.

1. peshti

peshti Member

So I got a couple kontakt libraries that I cant copy to my external drives no matter what, it just get stuck and the rate goes down to 0 bit (or whatever it's called). I've tried on my 2 external drives and these libraries run fine in Kontakt as far as I can tell. Is this a common problem?

Is this because I'm not using ssd drives right now? I'm thinking about buying ssd but that has to wait at least a month and I haven't decided for 1 or 2tb. But I mean I would love to be able to copy these libraries to the ssd drive I will buy in the future.

3. flyingsleeves

flyingsleeves Platinum Record

I've never heard of this problem before. Are you sure there is enough space on the drives? Maybe try moving them folder by folder or file by file.

4. G String

G String Rock Star

Odd.

Can you duplicate the library folder on its current drive? If so, try then copying or moving the copy to the external.

Maybe run a disc check (on source and destination). [Win7: My computer -> right click the disc -> properties -> tools -> error-checking -> "check now"]

5. C7

C7 Member

I had this problem before and it turned out to be a hard drive that was near its end. Later the problem escalated to an audible clicking noise, then to windows crashing and eventually not booting and me having to purchase a new hard drive. I would bet on it being the source hard drive (that you are copying the files from) as opposed to your external hard drive (unless you dropped your external hard drive recently). You probably have damaged sectors that your hard drive cannot read which is causing the file transfer to hang indefinitely while it tries to access them.

Solution
    There is specialized software out there that attempts to copy files and ignores bad sector errors, usually called "unstoppable file copiers", or something similar. Frankly though I didn't have much luck with these programs when I was experiencing my problem. You may experience errors in your transferred Kontakt libraries also.

You can also get hard drive software that scans your hard drive and disables and/or tries to repair damaged sectors. You may permanently lose parts of your Kontakt libraries if you go this route though.

I first would try unplugging the internal hard drive and letting it sit unpowered for a day or so. I had better luck transferring files from my damaged hard drive after it had ample time to cool down a bit.

If your hard drive progresses to the clicking stage (which means there is damage to the actually hardware) and you are no longer able to access any files in your operating system you can always try wrapping the hard drive in two Ziploc bags and freezing it for 24hrs before trying to access the files. Do this only as a last resort though. If you have the money you can always try taking it to a data recover center also.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial Platinum Record

be sure your drives are in NTFS otherwise you will run in trouble , kontakt files can be bigger than 4 gb and that will not work on not formatted NTFS or ex-FAT

7. Johndifo

Johndifo Noisemaker

You cannot place files bigger than 4G on FAT hds

8. peshti

peshti Member

Ah I will try when I get home :). But it's formatted in ntsf. Or one external is in ntsf and the other one in exfat. So its logical that my computer drive is damaged then my externals? Both my externals have problems with the exact same files. One from cinesamples winds bundle and one from luminia 3