I can’t work out why my audio is cracking in Ableton?!

Discussion in 'Live' started by Bunford, Apr 3, 2023.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I have a fairly powerful laptop that’s sold as a gaming laptop. It’s an Asus ROG GL503GE with a Core i7 8750H CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, GTX1050 GPU, and SSDs. It’s the same as this one, just with RAM upgraded to 32GB, NVMe upgraded to 1TB, and the HDD upgraded to a 2TB SSD. Therefore, it’s normally pretty smooth and issue free when in use. My audio interface is an Audient ID14 MkII.

However, when I use Ableton, even if I only have a single instance of something up, be it a Simpler with a kick sample, a Serum, a Sylenth, the audio is constantly clicking every few seconds. I have turned down master volume on Ableton’s master track so it’s not clipping that’s causing it. I have also tried increasing the buffer as high as 1024 samples and the audio rate down to 44.1Hz, so as generous as ai can pretty much, but there is still some crackling every few seconds.

Anyone got any ideas what could be the issue as I believe my laptop should be plenty powerful enough to run full projects without issue?! The Audient is fairly new to me, so it may be something there that I am not doing right?!

3. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

Open task manager while this thing is happening and see if there's anything suspicious, particularly regarding CPU usage.

4. lxfsn

lxfsn Platinum Record

- power plan
    - asio buffer size

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Melodic Reality

Melodic Reality Rock Star

DPC latency issues probably, try LatencyMon.

6. DiRG3

DiRG3 Kapellmeister

I've found that Windows Defender can be a pain when using older CPUs for audio work, when producing, disable your internet and Windows Defender. You can see it at work in task manager under Antimalware Service Executable, it's quite taxing. Have you dug around in your interface's onboard ASIO drivers? It could need an update or you may be trying to run your system at too low of a latency. As others have said tho try latencymon to figure out whats not playing nice, it'll always at least point you in the right direction.

7. captain-pastek

captain-pastek Newbie

Hey man, i've got exactly the same problem.
    Beast computer, Audient id44, and ableton crackin every seconds even while doing nothing...
    Did you figure out something ?

8. George Santos

George Santos Kapellmeister

Have either of you tried turning on your wifi? It sounds crazy, but with the latest Ableton11 I get constant crackles when offline. No plugins either so it has to be Ableton. Mine is a r2r version if that matters. When online everything works perfectly.

Specs:
    Fresh install Win 11, Razer Blade 15(almost exact specs & mods), dgpu, uad x8p thunderbolt, latencymon dpc under 300u pagefault 1600, disabled pagefile, disabled excess services, no bloatware, latest drivers, latest available r2r software, asio uad driver, power plan on 100% CPU mode

Last edited: May 16, 2023
  9. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I've not had a chance to delve too much. Since my op I upgraded to a Ryzen 5950X based system with NVMe drives so am just coming to the end of reinstalling everything back on and will report back once I try it out.

10. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

+1

also different ASiO driver give different results.
    ASiO4All crashed system for me, FL ASiO mediocre results on SSL audio interface, but SSL own ASiO driver was rock stable with very low latency compared to the others.

11. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

LatencyMon to check for DPC spikes.

If those are the cause it can show you the file/driver where the spikes are happening, normally which is then the first one you should isolate.

These days it's almost always a USB device, Wifi-dongles being quite bad for this. But also built in devices are often hanging off the USB bus so it might be worthwhile trying things out with them as well, like @George Santos seems to be encountering.

But just because a file/driver shows up in LatencyMon doesn't mean it's faulty, DPC is normal part of driver function.

12. trz303

trz303 Producer

Most of the time it is related to DPC latency caused by "gaming" GPU (gtx, rtx ...) : hardware goes hot, requesting cooling and CPU throttling.
    Gaming notebook are most of the time bad for pro-audio.
    Try disabling the GPU and using the built-in graphic card (if any).
    It is very hard to fix this kind of problem as far as it's hardware related.
    Even with maximum asio buffer size its not enough to avoid audio crackling.

13. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I use an Audient - iD14 at 256 samples / 44.1 kHz.
    Try using 512 samples - if it cracks 256 samples.

1.) Don't let audio glitches ruin your performances! www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/
    1.) The Ultimate Guide to Optimize your Windows PC for the Stage
    https://gigperformer.com/docs/ultimate-guide-to-optimize-windows-for-stage/index.html
    2.) LatencyMon 7.20
    The LatencyMon software analyzes and identifies which device, which driver or which service is causing audio dropouts or malfunctions. Real-time audio suitability checker for Windows 10/8.1/8/7/2016/2012/2008 (x86 and x64)
    Scroll Down to: System Monitoring Tools www.resplendence.com/downloads
    3.) Windows Tuning Tips for Audio Processing
    https://support.native-instruments....1729-Windows-Tuning-Tips-for-Audio-Processing
    4.) PreSonus - Optimizing Your Computer for Audio - Windows 10
    https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-...Optimizing-Your-Computer-for-Audio-Windows-10
    5.) Ableton - Optimizing Windows for Audio
    https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209071469-Optimizing-Windows-for-Audio
    6.) FL Studio - Optimizing FL Studio performance
    www.image-line.com/fl-studio-learning/fl-studio-online-manual/html/app_opt.htm
    7.) Steinberg - Windows: How to set-up and optimize a Digital Audio Workstation
    https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/...t-up-and-optimize-a-Digital-Audio-Workstation
    8.) Focusrite - Optimising your PC for Audio on Windows 10
    https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207355205-Optimising-your-PC-for-Audio-on-Windows-10

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. George Santos

Not the op, but having a similar problem with my gaming laptop and Ableton 11. Will try disabling the dgpu and testing.

Oddly enough, latencymon reports lower dpc, isr, and pagefault with Nvidia driver installed vs. Intel igpu driver. Will need to test for crackles a bit later.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Looking through the guides now, Beat16.

15. George Santos

Please do. Curious how your experience with Nvidia to AMD goes Ableton-wise. Ive been a Nvfanboy for a long time but brand loyalty is irrelevant at this point

16. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

options/preferences/Audio/ Latency buffer size?

Hit the test tone and up the sample size of the input buffer zone until there are no crackles.. maybe go a little bit over that to be certain.. turn off the test tone and try again
    Ableton.jpg

DOHn I mght have meant the OUTPUT buffer above ^^^^^ Lemme go double check!!!!

Of course I did.. please do the above with the OUTPUT buffer and try that.. k?

17. George Santos

I'll let op respond for his system, but for mine that doesn't help. I get noise with just my vocal in an empty Ableton11 template without plugins at all buffer settings. Some else mentioned there could be an issue with wifi chip on the USB buss so that may be the next thing I check. As I get buzz only when wifi is off. Still working on adding some optimizations from the big list above too.

18. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

ANY electrical device can give off feedback unless it is earthed properly. I use to have that with my DJ Decks too. Once correctly earthed no more buzzing.

19. George Santos

20. DontKnowJack

DontKnowJack Producer

21. AudioSox

AudioSox Ultrasonic

I have an Asus laptop, and it crackles with some DAWs, too. It's GPU/GUI related. If I minimize the application the crackling stops.