I am solo in a journey

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Spyfxmk2, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Spyfxmk2

Spyfxmk2 Guest

Hello audiosex community :bow:
    A lot of you asked me for a new track :keys:....
    ....well here are 2 that i'm working on
    How is the mastering ?
    Can you guess which one is mastered in the box & which one is mastered in a professional mastering room with real analog gear,here in California ? (optional to answer)
    enjoy & thank you in advance :

I am solo.... :

....in a journey :

• Like Like x 7
    • Love it! Love it! x 5
    • List
  3. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

i'm not sure which one is mastered where, but the second one is more pleasing to my ears.

4. xntryk1

xntryk1 Noisemaker

I like the first and I know that does not maker an answer. I will say the first in studio, BUT on that answer, the real question, with today's home gear and Hollywood's top gear... the question should be WHO mastered WHICH, as a human is operating all the expensive studio gear and the laptop using a fleshy brain and all that that entails about perception and such.

5. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

Which is which - good question. :)

Might one be so bold to ask you, @Xyfsp , which one of your awesome works suffered the least corruption from YouTube's re-encoding?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Exidus

Exidus Rock Star

I think the second one is mastered with the real tools... sounds more natural to me. Love your works, BTW..

7. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I love them both. But the clarity and depth of sub bass in the first one swung it for me (I'm saying it was the first one that sounded studio mastered)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

First, a big fat :like: for both tracks, from me.

Second, just because it's mastered by a professional (oh, no, it's starting again upload_2018-4-4_20-53-52.gif ), it doesn't mean it's mastered well (there are dozends of examples for bad pro mastering out there).

Third, just by listening I would think the first is mastered with analog gear.

Fouth, by measuring it's hard to tell, but the first one seems a bit better, too, even if it'is even louder, than the second (and both of them are way up above -14 LUFS).

And last, not least, I'd like to know, if the inbox mastering was done by a non pro in a non pro-treated room.

9. Helvetica

Helvetica Producer

Second track is really nice! ;)

10. sparkles

sparkles Guest

Yes the second!!! please :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Beth

Beth Guest

and the vote goes to #...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

Well done, not as adventurous as some of your previous works but good job none the less.

I am not certain why this matters but if we are guessing for shits and giggles, I would say that I wouldn't bet the farm on either of them having been mastered in a well treated room on analog gear, because youtube has sliced off the top end and has audibly narrowed the sides a bit (that siwsh wish swhish you hear on the high edge of you the hearing range.)

The first song is more harmonically rich but it is has a very heavy handed bottom end and a peaky bass drum, something that would stick out quite a bit in a well treated room on large loudspeakers. It has been normalized (at least on my stream in on the East Coast of the U.S.) -14.3 with peaks under 3dBFS, so I am going to make a guess that it was probably between -11 and -12 on upload.

The second song has a lot more space and is much better balanced between the low end and the top. It still suffers from youtube's buzzcut at the top, but the compression is a bit more analoguish (is that even a word?) It is seriously mid scooped but that might be a function of the sounds chosen and how it was mixed rather an artifact of re balancing, as in some places it does fill out rather nicely. It is normalized to -14.1 with peaks just under 3dBFS which would put it at the same -11 to -12 on upload (which is curious unless one person was trying to match the loudness of the other - and if that is the case I would have to guess that song 1 was trying to match song 2.)

So if I had to play the game on frequency balance and the preservation of brightness without becoming harsh I would choose song #2 In a Journey : because a well treated room would force a bit more balance than is audible by track #1. Track #2 will translate better and on its own not cause hearing damage on earbuds without help from extreme volume settings. Though to be honest depending on the person behind the controls and their predisposition to bass, drugs, and hearing damage anything is possible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Spyfx,where do the brass/horns of the second track come from,please?
    I like the second track.

14. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

Both are well-produced. But, sorry, both tracks bore me stiff (and not in a good way). The repetition in the first one gives me a headache because I'm hoping for something interesting to happen, and the that bassy horn in the second makes you want to stick your head in a gas oven. Just my humble opinion. The second one is mastered in a pro studio .. unless you run a pro studio yourself and it's a trick question.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  15. Spyfxmk2

Spyfxmk2 Guest

Hello good friend :bow:,
    the brass/horns type sound is me playing some midi notes with the help of Polysynth in Bitwig Studio 2,it is an fm type of sound :keys:
    thank you for your kind words :bow:
    both tracks "arrangement wise" are musical sketches, nothing more.

16. TonyG

TonyG Guest

@Xyfsp Thanks for sharing your work with us. I love both tracks, specially "In the Journey". I like its vibe but would work on its structure to make it less repetitive. I would love to remix it.
    As to your question: I don't participate on guessing games with material that has been tainted and downgraded by You Tube's re-encoding.

17. Spyfxmk2

Spyfxmk2 Guest

^ Thank you for your time & listening :bow:
    I love so much your Avatar,house music to me is something very special & a very big part of my life :bow:
    Do you like deep house or soulful house, tech ?
    perhaps you should create a thread around house music :bow:,it will be wonderful to hear your thoughts/feelings about it :keys:,just an idea :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. Spyfxmk2

Spyfxmk2 Guest

@tonyg0499 would you like to remix this first ? :keys: :bow:
    :keys: :

• Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  19. TonyG

TonyG Guest

Allow me to say that I like House Music on the side of more soul- and jazz-enriched forms of the genre. I have tough of creating a thread not specifically about house music but of the soul, disco and jazz-funk scene of the seventies and early eighties.

In regards to your song "888" all I can say is that I love it. From the first time I heard it, it reminded me of "Riders of the Storm" by The Doors. I will gladly remix it. You can contact me by PM. Keep up the good work and thanks for offer and suggestion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. Kinghtsurfer

Kinghtsurfer Audiosexual

Excellent work on both tracks @Xyfsp ... Great soundspace on both... :)

Can't really comment on which one got mastered where... But I like both!

21. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

Best Answer
    @Xyfsp
    I love your creativity. You have some great ideas that are not what I have come to expect from much of this genre. Your creativity is great but what I find really great and that to me makes you so unusual in the best possible way, is that you have a dynamics sensibility that is not normally attributed to this style and not often heard.
    A lot of musicians forget that when they make music. If a piece of music has light and shade both in dynamics and intensity, the human ear is more capable of taking every nuance in. People talk about complexity, versus simplicity, but in reality, if any piece has light and shade it can tell a story that any listener no matter what they like can at the least appreciate as being good.

Mastering is interesting. If a person has a good amount of money when they produce something of their own, it is smart to ensure the mixing engineer is not the mastering engineer. Mastering is an art of its own.

As for which one is mastered? - I would not like to guess but ---- When an artist takes a piece in for mastering, they tell the engineer what they want. Each mastering engineer will interpret that in a different way unless you are sitting there with them. I know some guys that would prefer the first one but for pure clarity the second one is cleaner.

I enjoy your creativity and you know what I spend the most time listening to and that I appreciate art in whatever form it comes in.
    :)
    Cheers

"Boredom is the feeling that everything is a waste of time; serenity, that nothing is. "
    - Thomas Szasz

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List