I Am Sick of a World Where People Are to Lazy to Read

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by GreatJobChamp, Apr 28, 2017.

1. nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial Platinum Record

2. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Oh mate... If you're pinning your hopes for humanity on us Brits.. Gawd help us all!!!

I'm trying my best, but I had three goes at mastering a ballad, which at first sounded fine, until I played it back on my laptop, and it sounded more squashed than if an Elephant had sat on it!!!

3. CustomUser22

CustomUser22 Kapellmeister

What if.....what if here.......wer all the morans who dun use there brians?

4. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Mate, I'm just trying to work out that squirrel in your avatar. It's either doing a Bruce Lee impression, or casting a spell like Harry Potter. Any idea which it is?

5. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

You surely bought the "Divina Commedia" ... yeah, it has to be a cold day in hell without a charger :)

6. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

Amen to that, bro'. :bow:

Whenever a track has less than 1dB of dynamic range and the artist(s) want airplay (terrestrial, satellite and net) I need to decrease my output gain in order to make absolutely sure that the track doesn't hit the threshold of any automatic comp/limiters in the transmission signal path. If I were to pass the track through me at unity gain, the AGC units and comp/limiters downstream of me will make an already compressed track sound like shit in a wet sack.

Mastering for maximum loudness is an art. When it's done well, it's damned clever but it's also complete bollocks. To preserve the quality of that work I have to turn down the wick. Thus, the freakin' thing goes out on air not louder but, in fact, quieter. Come on, EDM guys. Get your shit together and stop giving those of us in the broadcast game every reason to turn down the volume.

7. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

Most excellent @Rhodes. pmsl :shalom:

8. CustomUser22

CustomUser22 Kapellmeister

There is no squirrel...I mean spoon. There is no spoon.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Lol m8, I think I FINALLY worked it out. He's having a go at Cossack Dancing.

10. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Lots of animals on this forum, always knew this gigantic evolutionary step would happen on a half illegal audio forum.
    God is good to us. Finally we can communicate with each other.
    Now lets eat.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

As a computer technician, among others, a do get a bit sick of seemingly simple questions like "How do I use this thing?" [DAW or even worse OS], and "How do I mix this?", "How do I make this sound?", but especially "How do I master it?" as if it's like making breakfast or something. :sad:

My answer should be "It takes lots of love, patience and dedication, and it takes years, mate." :wink: But I usually go for the lengthy and rather impossible option called "education" for some reason. :rofl:Although, you know, Internet search engines and all that "useless shit" work just fine.

People nowadays generally have no patience and everything is consumed like fast food. :sad:

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. westfinch

westfinch Platinum Record

Better watch them grammar!! Not only are people "too" lazy "to" read, they are "too" lazy "to" learn proper language skills. "There" are "too" many online dictionaries available on "their" computers "to" continue bastardizing the language in this way.

They learned me up in school wear my teacher said I ain't no good at talkin'.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. MrMister

MrMister Ultrasonic

firstly, it's uneducated..secondly, it's "people are too lazy" not "people are to lazy." i assume you're lumping yourself in with the "de-educated" too?

14. MrMister

MrMister Ultrasonic

people only care about vinyl again because it's the cool thing to do..same with cassettes a few years back...who gives a shit if people are back into vinyl if they use crap needles, bad cabling, and terrible speakers?

15. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

It's water bending!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

As they used to say ol' chappie, the sun never sets on the British Empire...I know that has faded away,
    but, still pretty impressive what the Emerald Isle has spawned over the globe... and yeah we're still pissed off
    at King George III over here.. :bleh:

Kyrie eleison to you too @MrMister , clearly you got good taste :unsure:

17. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

I'm not so sure. Think it might be gangnam style.:shalom:

18. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

This +1

I get requests for mastering services from time to time and to this day I have yet to have received any music that hasn't already been compressed or limited within an inch of its life. The last request was from a band who's album had been mixed down by an "engineer" and needed mastering because apparently he was too overloaded with work to finish the job. I had a listen and immediately asked them to remove the limiter they had used for nearly every track on the album. My favorite part was the response because they were amazed that I knew they had used a limiter. Apparently if you could hear limiting or compression on a track, you're somehow a magician haha.

I think the worst part is how indifferent people are to it. Even when their audio is horrendously mixed down, no one wants to pay to do it the right way. Its so easy to just throw on a plugin even if they have no idea how or why they're using it. And that's part of the problem because I feel most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a good or bad mix. It's like asking them to pay for a fine dining experience at a nice Italian restaurant when their idea of good pasta is Chef Boyardee.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Well fella :P THIS should make you feel better. You should hear what a 'King George the Third' is here in rhyming slang.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. Sylenth.Will.Fall

In all honesty though, you cant beat reading a good book. Something tangible. Kindle, and all that crap as far as I'm concerned is nothing more than a fad.

Tell them not to start with the drugs until AFTER they've finished in the studio in future. Dunno, it could help! or not!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017