I am new to home recording - Where to hang out on the board?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by photonic, Jan 2, 2023.

1. photonic

photonic Member

Hiya. I have used the board for answers to random simple questions in the past with great responses from members. But now I have really started down the path of home recording. Where is the best place to hang out amongst the different areas in the board, or simply follow all new posts? I want to learn and post probably beginner questions.

Greetings and looking forward to being a more active member of the board in 2023!

3. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Howdy @photonic. I'd say stick around the workshop threads for engineering type questions. & for technical DAW/plugin related questions hang out in the software area. Can't really give you a recommendation on what to follow since I know little of what it is exactly you're interested in. What kind of audio work are you into? Music, sound design? What genres? What Daw? What plugins? ect ect... Are you looking to treat your recording room? Are you looking into buying microphones, speakers, outboard gear? The questions could be endless.... Happy new year btw!!

4. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

I'd say just follow new posts. There's usually not a lot of activity per forum (area) to keep you ocupied on just one forum, unless you're the activity itself.

If by "hanging out" you mean just reading stuff around, there's a lot of forums with useful threads, like moogergooger pointed out. It all depends on what catches your eye.

Don't worry, we all make mistakes :hahaha:

Seriously though, congrats on the initiative, i sense several grammys coming your way. Salud!:cheers:

5. photonic

photonic Member

Thanks for that. Yes seems like there is not "beginner's section" like the Band in a Box forum has..

For me, I will be using Reaper and an amp sim (Guitar Rig 6) and microphones. Lewitt LCD for voice and 2 pencil SDCs for acoustic guitar. Bass and electric guitar will be direct through the amp sim. VSTs for effects. Music recorded for now will be guitar, bass and vocal. Would eventually like to dabble with some percussion, but vocals and guitar are the primary focus with the goal of recording my complete renditions of pop classics - often singer/songwriter material from 60s, 70s, 80's.

Glad to be here.

6. Genoveva Bernhard

Genoveva Bernhard Producer

"For me, I will be using Reaper and an amp sim (Guitar Rig 6) and microphones. Lewitt LCD for voice and 2 pencil SDCs for acoustic guitar. Bass and electric guitar will be direct through the amp sim. VSTs for effects. Music recorded for now will be guitar, bass and vocal. Would eventually like to dabble with some percussion, but vocals and guitar are the primary focus with the goal of recording my complete renditions of pop classics - often singer/songwriter material from 60s, 70s, 80's."

So, to recap (and simplify), folksy/Jim Croce/America covers w/o drums or keyboards. Correct?

7. photonic

photonic Member

INDEED! :)

8. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

These are different subforums you can subscribe to:

- Mixing and mastering
    - Follow the specific forum for the DAW you are using, in the subsection of this section: DAW
    - Search for the exact plugins you are using in the software section

If you are a beginner, the last thing you want is to feel overwhelmed by too much information, so take it step by step. Dont try to follow everything thing, look for specific information.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I do a lot of what you want to do though not really covers, mostly my own songs. If you have the need you can always PM me when you have those kind of questions.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  10. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Of course not, this is audiosex.pro, we have full pros, semi pros, wannabe pros and no pros, but not beginners. [​IMG]

Other than that, since you're here for meanwhile five years and already successfully created several threads, I assume you know how to use this forum, where to find answers and how to ask questions.
    However, if something's not clear, you can address it here or PM me (or Olymoon).