I am in love with Reaper !!!

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by vanhaze, May 17, 2014.

1. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I love Reaper whole concept. But although I'm a geek developer I find a bit difficult to learn. Also, as a VSTi's only user, I need a powerful MIDI editor, sadly, the worst part of Reaper to the date.

If Studio One wouldn't exist I'd use Reaper.

By the way, the last geek thing that has stacked in my brain is setting my laptop as slave VST processor. I'll be honest: my laptop is so old that even if it works I'll barely benefit from the whole set-up. I'll try it just because it'll be funny :rofl:

I'm telling this not because I'm losing it but because Reaper seems the only solution for slave DAW (ReaMote), VE Pro aside. There is the independent VST ReaStream from ReaPlugs (I love them, a free quality MB Compressor, that's something) but can not sync alone, which is a shame. So, using it in the main DAW with Reaper rewired to Studio One should do the trick.. or could.. or may be.. or shall... or lol

2. Tim

Tim Member

You have proven exactly my point. Well done and happy music making.

3. Akumma

Akumma Member

With FabFilter ProQ2 happens sporadically, but plugin Boz Imperial Delay VST3 ALWAYS. My versions are: reaper 5.11 and Windows 10

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  4. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

sounds like some serious geek-itude ... let us know how it works out... pretty wild man...
    but I think you're just the guy for the job ! :winker:

5. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Well, the main problem is that days only have 24 hours and I have to waste 9 of them working in order to get money which pays my geek hobbies and the vodka for the weekends (food is overrated).

According to some Reaper Guru's you can set a Slave PC with Reaper on both machines. I don't know if the master Reaper can be hosted via ReWire in another DAW and keep the sync. That's the question.

If I succeed and I'm still alive I'd try the next step: WiFi connection without router using master PC as a hotspot. The next logical step would be to rule the world (resistance is futile).

Bad jokes aside, even for those we don't use Reaper I think Reaper is necessary, even if it's only for offering a powerful but cheap alternative to big DAWs. Reaper is for Cubase what Linux is for Windows Server.

Now I need a nap.

6. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

yeah it's Sunday .. time for one of my (many) naps too... I just paid my Reaper license and I use it almost exclusively,
    and have been for years. I'll try the new PT to remind me why I like Reaper this much...

Is your main production machine an i5 or i7 ? my stuff isn't so resource intensive maybe, I have an i7 and Diva
    uses about 14 -15 % cpu for me

7. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

My computer was powerful but it's old. It's a Core2 Quad Extreme OCed from 3 to 3.5Ghz, 8 GB DDR2 1066. Almost the fastest Core2/DDR2 combination without liquid cooling, but several years have passed. My laptop is a 2GB DDR3 1000 Core2 Duo 1.86Ghz. That means really close to a 25% of the desktop PC power and memory.

On the good side, I'm a real beginner. No modesty here, I really am. So I make stuff with few tracks that don't require much power. I'm fine with my rig.

I don't need complex synths (Serum, Diva) since I do metal (the good oldie Sylenth1 does the trick). As long as I don't use CPU hungry VSTs (Waves, DMG, really complex reverbs, etc...) I'm fine. My bottleneck is the RAM because I use big sampled VSTi's and kontakt libraries. When I freeze wisely it's fine, though. But as a good beginner I've the "last time tweak" syndrome, if you know what I mean.

In the last days I'm testing the use of SSD caching (the fastest/latest component of my desktop PC) of my VSTi/Kontakt libraries HDD partition (active thread going on here on AS). My HDD's are very fast because I've a very aggressive double RAID0 build. With the access time reduction of SSD caching I should be able to reduce Kontakt RAM footprint.

Yeah, another geek thing, I should learn proper track freezing and doing some music for a change lol

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  8. vson

vson Noisemaker

I just switched over to reaper from being on Acid pro. I was using Acid since 1999. Reaper is like Acid on roids except for the unmix drums plugin 32bit and 64bit it makes everything break up like it is eating all the RAM up.

9. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Zynaptiq UNMIX uses up CPU (16% in stereo on an i3, or 64% of 1 core). SO what I usually do with it is, M/S encode, process ONLY MID (ie, left only, uncheck Right in FX PIN IO) with UNMIX, and then M/S decode. By using it in mono, you save about 50% CPU.

10. vson

vson Noisemaker

thanks

11. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

12. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

Be sure your computer isn't ridiculous, even if it's an "old" Core 2 Extreme, it remains very good for light projects, and 8GB are often enough, even for Kontakt libs. The only time I've satured the 32GB RAM on my PC is during FXpansion BFD3 test (a nice crap IMO) - but never occurs with Superior Drummer 2 + The Metal Foundry (SDX)...