I am in love with Reaper !!!

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by vanhaze, May 17, 2014.

1. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

I have tried every Daw there is and ALL of them crashing when scanning for Plugins Live was the worst of them then came Cubase best or sjhould i say least good is in fact Reaper

2. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

Some GUI plugins may have strange issues in REAPER (like Roland PLUG-OUTs), but REAPER 5 remains my favorite DAW, however! I precise I'm not a pro but a simple CM hobbyist. I like Live 9 and Studio One 3 too.

3. Tim

Tim Member

No matter how you skin it, it still looks stupid, like mutton dressed up as lamb. I think if you fall in love with an application with all its hidden features and geeky customisations then your not spending enough time making music.

4. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro Staff Member

Actually it's the customization that matters. Spending some time digging program settings yields better and smoother workflow. REAPER is meant more for advanced computer users that do music than just users, which is however perfect, as this linux-type DAW was missing on the market. It's also perfectly optimized.

5. Tim

Tim Member

I get some of what your saying but disagree. Are you saying that an application makes you a more advanced user? Nah that would be silly right Andrew? :). I prefer an application that doesn't require endless routing around in the settings to set up. I prefer an app. that is intuitive and doesn't get in the way of me creating music. Just because you click on preferences and are presented with endless options doesn't make you an advanced user.

6. westfinch

westfinch Platinum Record

Wow! Do you know me? I used Cubase for years. Finally tried other things for better workflow. I settled on Reaper a few years ago for the simplicity, but I continuously had crashing problems. Could have been my system, my plugins, or Reaper itself. Don't know....don't care. I switched again to mixcraft and found it to be very stable for me, but not exactly what I needed. Finally went to Studio One and it has been like a rock for me. To each his own, and Reaper wasn't good for my system. So, if I am a copping out twat because I don't agree with you, then so be it. I think the Jr. High attitude has no place here.

7. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I too am and still using Cubase 5.5, thru 8 user. I have more and more move my recording to Reaper since it is everything and I hate really hate having to run Areo Glass just to record Music. Reaper is just that good and that fast. I love the way it can cross handle VST plug ins 32/64.

I have been slammed by some AudioSex users since some people just try to justify how reaper can do 2 monitors with out Areo Glass yet Cubase can not so they tell me Cubase needs Areo Glass to use 2 monitors Well all know Areo Glass is and extra burden on your PC.
    So my question is Are Reaper programmers better? To me there are.

8. Akumma

Akumma Member

I was with Reaper 5 until the VST3 plugs Boz digital labs do not keep their status (in other daws if), and not those of FabFilter sometimes, so far they do not solve the problem and that time ago. I am now with Studio One 3. :)

Problem

9. ingehai

ingehai Noisemaker

why is reaper so hard to edit in midi steps...

10. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I know I which they would fix this also. I also am wishing the midi editor gets better which from what I have seen they are getting better and better with every version.

11. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I do have a question which is driving me nuts.

I insert say kontack on a track and load up to instruments on on midi channel 1 the o the on midi channel 2. I can not play the second instrument until I change the midi channel on my controller. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong, Please.

12. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro Staff Member

No, I never said that. I said "REAPER is meant more for advanced computer users that do music", meaning it's primarily aimed at advanced computer users interested in music production, due to amount of fine-tuned options such as different CPU thread scheduling and driver priority settings.
    What's so difficult on setting DAW the way you like it to work? In this sense, REAPER offer more customization than other DAWs. No need for endless routing, just set it once and create a template, easy as that. Once properly set up, REAPER is very intuitive - all actions are listed on one place, nearly everything is easily automated, shortcuts can be assigned to every action, or macros.

13. dr_after

dr_after Kapellmeister

Reaper forever. Switched from Cubase years ago and cannot imagine switching again. Stability, performance, flexibility. What I love most: I don't need to adapt to Reaper's workflow. I can easily adapt Reaper to my workflow. My work is much faster than on any other DAW. I wish we had some similar software in Photoshop / After Effects department.

14. flashback23

flashback23 Ultrasonic

again, this time in english please...

15. Always Grateful

Always Grateful Kapellmeister

I am separated from Repaer , as I have this naughty thing for MIxcraft.

16. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Ok I will try to explain in English. When I I load Kontakt on a track. I create 4 tracks 2 audio 2 midi. The 2 midi tracks are assigned midi channel 1 and midi channel 2, to trigger 2 kontakt instruments. One on midi channel 1 the other on midi channel 2.

I can not play midi channel 2 with out changing my midi controller to midi channel 2 manually. In cubase it will route automatically when I change the midi channel in cubase.

How can I have reaper output the midi data automatically to the recorded armed track?

I hope this explains it better.

17. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

If you strip ALL DAWS of their UI, it's just functionality. GUI can make or break whether you use a DAW, but functionality also matters. No matter the hax and workarounds in S1/FL, you just can't do proper 1-file surround export in DAWs that don't support surround natively.

Also, the advanced features allow me to achieve what I want to do with my music more quickly. If a tool is not available, I can script or write it more quickly.

I do complex routing in reaper. I can edit the XML in a text editor, copypasta (i do that sometimes). Yes i do have templates, chains, and presets, for routing, but I also change that for individual projects often. And lots of shortcuts.

18. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Do you NEED VST3? I agree it may be a bit buggy in R5, but VST2 should work.

19. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

Very strange! Believe me, I don't have these issues shown in your video (I've voted "Useful" prior my tests). All custom settings from FabFilter plugins are correctly recalled everytime I reload RPP project.

Successfully tested 64-bit VST3 "Pro-Q 2" (like your video), "Pro-L", "Pro-C 2" and "Pro-G". I'm using REAPER (x64) v5.11, but on (French) Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 (your OS looks like Win8/Win10). Are you using lastest REAPER (5.11) and lastest FabFilter plugins?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  20. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record