I am 100% sure that no one is using music theory properly.

Discussion in 'Education' started by Epcot, Nov 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

I checked all my pockets, I can't find any fucks to give. Sorry, you'll have to do without.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  2. tori

tori Platinum Record

Music theory doesn't exist or is a bad term to describe music. You always need a practical example to learn about music (theory) really good, you can't really grasp everything or anything (depends how good your understanding about music is) from books. For more complicated things like counterpoint and fugues 12 tone technique ect. you should get a teacher because teachers can explain these things practical and much better. Videos are more helpful than books, too. Books are only good if you can study them "practical".

But many music genres don't need this deep understanding in music, it's more about feeling, having fun, ect. You just need the feeling, the groove or plain creativity to write good tunes, that's something that even the biggest music theory book can't teach or replace. Either you have it, or not! For me, it seems that your problem is more a matter of taste. You just don't like pop, jazz, rock or electronic music, but that's ok. You just shouldn't get on peoples nerves with your taste. Which music do you like the most?

I know this is a troll thread, but a honest answer wouldn't hurt, I think xD

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

WHAT?
    Okay, cool then...
    What kind of groove? Say it! Say my name!
    And
    Etc. Et cetera. :winker:

I don't think we should hold our breath!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  4. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

When music theory was monetized by the industrial brainwashing complex (Berklee) the fruitful path to meaningful discovery was blurred. just ask Barry Harris....

5. tori

tori Platinum Record

Is this Berklee stuff an american/english thing? In Germany nobody knows Berklee and we still have many interesting books about music.

6. Smoove Grooves

American thing.
    And Germany has many more hugely important musical people, influences, teachings, publications...and devs!

7. TranceDream

TranceDream Producer

Attention Whore

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  8. Smoove Grooves

"When there's no deep understanding of life, Foster starts saying things like poop, cack, jizz and the like, and can't produce anything for the rest of it's life."

9. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

I don't think Beatles had a very very deep understanding of theory and yet for the rest of their lives...

However, I always encourage to study AT LEAST a minimum of theory, because it doesn't hurt (as in ANY field), especially if you want to jot down songs by ear, i can assure 100% it really helps.

Off topic: can someone explain to me what the hell is Foster? I see it several times here in AS.
    Historical troll?

10. lasteno

lasteno Platinum Record

the proper way of things wow .. i will ask fauchi about it..

11. itisntreal

itisntreal Guest

music theorytus that's what he meant

12. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Music Theory small.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. Epcot

Epcot Guest

I think I should change the number to 150% by now.:winker:

My dears, I know that we are all concerned with the implementation of music theory, that is, we all want to somehow get to the heart of the matter and how to implement it, but by this means, we will not get to that point.:guru:

14. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Man your English is getting better by the day. I used to recognize you by the old school English style you used to use.
    Now it's just through the boggus topics...

15. moskar3

moskar3 Member

:bleh::bleh::bleh:

16. moskar3

moskar3 Member

music existed long before any theory

17. Yellow Raven

Yellow Raven Platinum Record

foster or not this thread will lead to nowhere.

I know music theory and I could spend hours to write something similar to Beethoven or Debussy and yet I certainly am neither one of those giants. theory comes from analyzing what worked and not the other way. so if you write something beautiful that breaks every rule then it will be set as a new rule and added to other previous rules. think 12 note techniques or total serial music etc
    don't hold yourself prisoner to your own ideas. as much as i enjoy listening to Beethoven, Debussy or Stravinsky I enjoy the Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, Super-tramp, Kim Wilde and House, Tech etc
    compose what you like and enjoy what you like and don't judge
    Peace.

18. Russi

Russi Noisemaker

Hi Epcot, Interesting point you bring up. I taught myself to read and write music when I was 15-16ish, I went to collage to get the qualifications and eventually the covoted letters after my name. That was over 40 years ago. The first thing I would like to point out is that almost every day I am still discovering new bits and pieces. In short there is no finite goal where one can say they have mastered theory. Over the years I have played in a few bands and very often I encounter Guitarists who have a complete ignorance of Music theory, sometimes I compare it to a person who has never read books. therefore has a limited vocabulary, How in hell can that person ever write an educated book without a broad range of words to use? On the other hand, How do you explain the amazing Hans Zimmer who has never studied theory and is unable to read or write music? The great enigma!
    Further complications arise when Home Computer musicians are armed with the great range of modern VST's and Samplers..Kontakt etc. That may be a sample of a Les Paul but unless you then know the actual ergonomics of playing a Gtr ..Hammer-ons, Pull-offs, Chord Inversions, Note range, harmonics, Then how can you create a believable Gtr part? The Problems are further compounded when you introduce further instruments that also have their own limitations and playing techniques, Flutes Brass Stings, and then considering Strings alone, The playing technique on a Violin is completely different to that of a Cello. Its very easy to put a bunch of midi notes into a Daw and instead of that nice strumming flow it just sounds like a bad harpsichord player.
    In my opinion, and I stress its my opinion, pretty much all music today is dead, lifeless, soul-less, and its only going to get worse. Way too much use of Loops is partly to blame. Consider the overall feel and passion in music from 60's, 70's and early 80's when there were no such thing as a computer. Yes there are Modern Bands still creating Great music but they tend to be real playing of instruments, a point to note is that with real live musicians a tempo will flow as opposed to a sequencer where the tempo is relentlessly tick tock, passionate music cannot be played to a click track, that beautiful piano backing will merely sound like a metronome that happens to sound like a piano.
    exercise 1. Create an Orchestral piece for film.
    Ingredients: Kontakt armed with Spitfire Audio BBC Orchestra, and the score to any Hans Zimmer Soundtrack.
    Instructions: Enter all the Correct notes into the correct staves and assign the correct instruments. Set the Tempo.
    Result: Completely boring pile of shit that is only fit for Lift music or shopping Mall music.

There is something to Music that exists totally outside of Rules and Abilities. And, if a person finds that Elixer of life, Magic happens.

Really enjoyed giving just a fraction of my thoughts on this subject. Cheers.

19. hani king

hani king Platinum Record

as far as i know
    everyone of us has his own blue print track instructions or has his own way in building tracks similar to previous succesful tracks
    or inspired by groups/artists from past and present or following trending genre to ride same wave)
    or sticking totheir guns applying old golden rules (like myself )
    all is appreciated (dont attack me for my 80s style genre )

i do apply very simple rule whether its 80s style or updated trance song or chill out song
    while building a track
    first part
    intro music/verse 1/title chorus (with/without additional refrain
    second part
    / the same intro then second verse /same title chorus with/without refrain
    extended sections (for extended versions guitars/keys /banging drums/vocal pieces)

the closing
    same title chorus /w/wo refrains ...fade out/ sudden stop

i had a discussion with my friend Aubrey Whitefield a british producer about why we had extended versions in the 80s
    that reaches 6 to 9 mins and those extended version had parts that different from the album version ?

her reply was ''producers had to work harder with hardware and samplers and they made hard long demos
    and with good ears and patience those demos turns in to extended versions /remixes and people loved
    hearing them back then and appreciate those extended sections and new bits ,
    she added '' in todays music its all gone ,the current extended versions is just long 4 mins of kick/bass/and rolling in snares
    to bridge it to main chorus ''
    she also said '' today djs wanted the bread and butter of the song,they dont care much about extended versions
    and same goes to radio stations they just play the radio mix which is suitable for radios ''

20. WillyA

WillyA Producer

A classic example would be Gary Moore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.