HyperNormalisation / Adam Curtis

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rolma, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Rolma

Rolma Guest

https://thoughtmaybe.com/hypernormalisation/?lang=en

HyperNormalisation
    Adam Curtis 2016 2:46:31

HyperNormalisation wades through the culmination of forces that have driven this culture into mass uncertainty, confusion, spectacle and simulation. Where events keep happening that seem crazy, inexplicable and out of control—from Donald Trump to Brexit, to the War in Syria, mass immigration, extreme disparity in wealth, and increasing bomb attacks in the West—this film shows a basis to not only why these chaotic events are happening, but also why we, as well as those in power, may not understand them. We have retreated into a simplified, and often completely fake version of the world. And because it is reflected all around us, ubiquitous, we accept it as normal. This epic narrative of how we got here spans over 40 years, with an extraordinary cast of characters—the Assad dynasty, Donald Trump, Henry Kissinger, Patti Smith, early performance artists in New York, President Putin, Japanese gangsters, suicide bombers, Colonel Gaddafi and the Internet. HyperNormalisation weaves these historical narratives back together to show how today’s fake and hollow world was created and is sustained. This shows that a new kind of resistance must be imagined and actioned, as well as an unprecedented reawakening in a time where it matters like never before.

• Like Like x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

YES.

Especially in these times where political promises soothe like baby's binkies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

None of these events seem weird or inexplicable to me. History is full of "crazy" shit. I wonder if this movie is trying to push some agenda? the end of the description sounds particularly vague and fishy.

5. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Everything has an agenda. The question used to be light-side or dark. Grey is the new dark.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Well, duh, you're a cat. A fishy description sounds an aweful lot like wishful thinking to me!

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. DonCaballero

DonCaballero Producer

I was a bit let down by this. The narrative didn't seem as cohesive as some of his other work. Still worth watching though.

8. Rolma

Rolma Guest

@DonCaballero I agree with you, although in this one I like the point he makes on the idea that the system has become so complex (mostly a huge capitalist - religious extremism -information technology snowball) that citizens and their representatives have withdrawn from exerting any action, otherwise pretending that all goes to plan, in a confussing ceremony of perception management and mass engagement, while the real condition, where power resides, is about predicting, manipulating behaviour with the semantics of money that ties individuals and institutions in repetitive loops of profit and debt. A world of mouse clicks,managers, perception control, self reward, deception,corruption where anything isn't as it appears.

In a way, it seems a bit like going towards what Neal Stephenson has proposed in his post punk narrative: governments that have sold its assets(no ability to exert law or whatsoever ) , hence the system is ran by computers, so there is a dismantling of the state into scattered groups, and also the experience is felt into 2 spheres cyberspace and meat space.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Yuri

Yuri Rock Star

Anybody who hasn't seen it should watch Bitter Lake, also by Adam Curtis.

10. Rolma

Rolma Guest

To me the most interesting ones are about mass psychology.

The trap what happened to our dream of freedom.
    The power of nightmares
    The Century of the self
    Pandora's Box The dangers of technocratic and political rationality.

I like also that Curtis in his documentaries uses interesting archived footage.

Regarding the Middle East politics I like a lot on location and back in time analysis from Pbs Frontline, say the stuff from the 90's and on.Again the footage and interviews are very interesting.

11. Ultram

Ultram Kapellmeister

Loved The Century of the self, I think he is a master storyteller and he presents a disturbing view of the world. Interesting musical choices too Burial, Aphex lots of Eno.

12. When in university as psych major many moons ago was introduced to the Milgram experiment. It completely changed my ideas about the world at large and the motivation of fear in regard the authority figure. It was at the point that I realized that humans were animals just like all the others, monkeys with pants, but monkeys nonetheless. This experiment proved that humans are passively obedient to authority and that even ordinary people would kill an innocent other if told to do so.
    This kind of experiment was made illegal soon afterwards, now you must be truthful when using humans as test subjects and be honest about what the experiment actually is really about.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  13. Rolma

Rolma Guest

I guess that the respect to the authority comes from the sense that authority seems to enable you in the imaginary dimension of the norm,in fact its monopoly, and also rewards you when doing so. Although I tend to think that in very moral coercitive readings normality is a superstition....

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2016
  14. dv8r171

dv8r171 Member

SCARY CLOWNS!

(At first glance I thought this was going to be a "Loudness war" audio normalization thread.
    :unsure: Nope.)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Rolma

Rolma Guest

On clowns hysteria

https://video-mxp1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t43.1792-2/14579092_155703604887306_8438432859038941184_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjE2MDIsInJsYSI6MTYyMywidmVuY29kZV90YWciOiJzdmVfaGQifQ==&oh=1ac86edef50e1ed95af535ce0801046b&oe=58074AEF

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/16/clowns-scary-black-lives-matter-arizona-halloween

Chill out.

Angry people click more.No matter how you see it, but your clicks are the bread and butter of the internet.Sites are supported financed and regarded by this new measure.

The click unit in its way to influence.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2016
  16. dv8r171

dv8r171 Member

Just grateful we didn't have a mime surge.

17. Rolma

Rolma Guest

Lol, why ...because are silent?

18. dv8r171

dv8r171 Member

No...annoying as fuck.

19. This might be debatable as it too as is possibaly just another symptom of this HyperNormalisation, as most people these days are led by the hand by that wonderful algorithm that predicts your tastes only showing those things that it number crunches to be your likes, things you would buy, etc. When I slum around on Googl I am suggested to enter a wonderful world of my dreams and not the polar opposites of my past visitations while window shopping my regular haunts. Unless I really make it my business to explore I will not have the opportunity to disagree with other voices not in harmony with my own. It is as I am "clicking to the choir" so to speak. Is agreeing with like minded souls really a way to really influence anything? This is some of what I gleaned from watching the two hours and 45 minutes of the documentary in this post, that opinions on the personal scale are losing the power even in great numbers when they can even rally because the entire point of the big money controlling our means of communication is all about stripping any other group, hosing them down with water and throwing them out into sub zero temperatures until frozen in place.

20. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

I thought it was a post about some new Normalization method :bow:
    Interesting thread though

21. Rolma

Rolma Guest

It s poetic, a bit like "stalker"