Hum Removal Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Bunford, May 24, 2016.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I'm just looking for some pointers on removing hum from my hardware and outboard gear. I currently use a Furman power conditioner and power all my hardware rack gear from there. I use a balanced patchbay and try to use balanced cables only, though not many places sell shorter balanced patch cables in my area so need to order more at the moment, but am about 75% balanced at the moment.

However, my hardware synths, being my Virus A and my Nova have a bit of a hum coming through. Not noticable when sound coming through, but when it goes quiet it is noticable.

What is the best way to remove hum? I don't want to use noise filters or gates as it then becomes a chasing expedition needing to catch the 50Hz (I'm in UK) and the harmonics of that without disrupting the sound i want to come through at those frequencies. All the gear is on the same electric circuit too, so are all on the same ground connection.

Is there a device that can be put on the final output pair of stereo balanced out cables that will remove the hum, or would i need to have the devices on the cables coming from the hardware synths into my audio interface?

3. mageye

mageye Producer

The best way to remove hum is to not having it there in the first place!

Anyway. I am wondering if you have a transformer or something else too close to the units? (your sound modules) I'm sure you are aware of different sources that can create hum (eg. electro-magnetic radiation just like when you move a mic over a transformer).

Have you isolated the units by process of elimination? You know, unplug each synth to try and work out the specific source. Is it only happening when they are all there? etc.

4. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

No transformers, and in terms of isolation, it seems to be coming only from my two hardware synths.

5. mageye

mageye Producer

Oh and strip lights, or the new energy efficient bulbs they all emit quite a bit of radiation (not just light!).

It's just ideas.

6. mageye

mageye Producer

7. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

8. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

Use a different (high quality) power supply / transformer for them and see if it disappears. The stock Access power bricks aren't anything special and are easily replaced. I've definitely seen noisy external power supplies for the Access Virus series and they do exactly what you're talking about.

I don't know about the Nova for sure, but I'm willing to bet it's the same issue unless they've got really sloppy grounding internally.

9. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

be sure the virus and your computer , and basically every audio gear is getting all the juice from the same outlet and put the power conditioner before that.

10. Try not crossing electrical cables with any audio cables.