Huge VSTs, libraries & Samples VS slimmer substitutes?

Discussion in 'Software' started by EddieXx, Aug 30, 2018.

1. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

guys,

im about to reinstall and streamline my system being really picky when it comes to space on my drives with the goal to keep everything on two medium size ssds, no spining up, no redundancy in sounds and small size when possible.

the biggest offenders today in my case are spectrasonics and kontakt libraries and a foolish huge amount of gbs of drum-samples and "producer packs"

could we tip each-other on slimmed down quality alternatives to most common "huge" vst or sample libraries? still keeping "functionality" and quality of course, as far as possible.

the goal, to have a decent representation covering general use but in a minimal package AND to not have the content of so many vsts already covered by other vsts..

for instance, i know trilogy contains more than electric basses but, the rest is often present in many other vsts so, its kind of a redundancy going on, and that only confuses me, to have similar sounds on several vsts

so my first happy proposal is, if its electric bass you are after then:

- IK Multimedia MODO BASS instead of: Spectrasonics Trilogy

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Depends upon type(s) of production being done. For instance, Gospel, R&B, Hip Hop:
    Pure Synth Platinum 2

MONDO Bass is, a good alternative. For EP my preference is Lounge Lizard.

Really like Omnishpehere but dislike the large library as a default installation.

4. Majestic

Majestic Rock Star

I concur, IK Multimedia's Modo Bass for bass.

People seam to love AAS' Lounge Lizard.

Also Modartt's Pianoteq, if you can afford it.
    For Kontakt, everyone seems to like NI's The Grandeur, and it's only about 5GBS

By the way, hard drive space is inexpensive nowadays. Those huge sample libraries don't inflict the burden on our systems' that they once did.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  5. meow

meow Guest

AAS Lounge Lizard for their EP, Modo Bass, Baby Bass, SwamEngine... and i wanna know more if there are.

Edit : esp. for electric guitars such as Telecaster and Stratocaster.

6. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Counterquestion, how about deleting all the stuff in the libraries you don't need? I shrunk some of my instruments to 30 - 50%.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

This, and in extreme cases like huge acoustic pianos, I've reduced the size by converting to 16bit and shortening samples down to 5..10 seconds length.
    Or do it more extreme like 0on3 did, remove some velocity layers and map one sample to >1 keys.
    This is quite a bit of work but you can save many gigabytes this way.