HSS Guitar audio levels for recording

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by pelao, Nov 4, 2021.

1. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

Hello guys i have a doubt about input levels for recording guitar. I have an HSS guitar and the volume of hambucker is twice the value of the single coil PU. Should i match the levels of the hambucker and singles? or keep it with that diffrence?

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Just use healthy gain-staging. :dunno:
    SC are usually always weaker in output compared to HB (unless they are stacked). How you want to gain-level it, pre pedal/amp/whatever, is up to you.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  4. Strat4ever

Strat4ever Rock Star

I have HSS on 2 guitars never had an issue, balance the pickups a little with the PU height screws then when you switch PU's it just takes a slight vol. adjustment with your pinky or just play a little less intense on the HB. I always use my tone and vol controls on my guitars constantly no matter the PU configuration.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. No Doz

No Doz Producer

^^^ came to post. you can compensate for differences in output and tone between pickups by adjusting the height of the pickups or pole pieces in relation to the strings. depress the string on the last fret and then adjust your heights from there (bottom of the string to top of the pole piece). i like to start at a distance of around 2mm and then dial it in by ear. majority of guitars will even out very well in terms of output volume.

you can compensate for any remaining difference with your volume knob, somewhere on your pedal board, on the actual amp itself, in your microphone signal chain, or inside your DAW. your call depending on what your goal is