Hows This Spec For Music Production?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Zapa, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Zapa

Zapa Newbie

Hi all im a long time mac user and currently use Logic X. Having lost a bith of faith in my mac recently. I have a work Laptop that im thinking of installing a new DAW on and using in the future. It has nothing to do with wanting to try all R2R stuff recently released XD.

The spec is:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz
    Windows 10 Ver. 20H2
    16gb DDR4 RAM
    500gb SSD
    1000gb HD
    RTX 2080 Super

Will this spec be sufficient for mixing etc? I also aim to try a DAW (hopefully with a view to purchasing when i can afford it) from the sister site. anyone have any suggestion that would be easy to transition? Obviously something that would be compatible with my Windows OS Ver and Spec. Also would the recent R2R releases be compatible too?

3. breadd

breadd Kapellmeister

depends on what you are using but that looks like it could run quite a bit at once

for daws similar to logic, ive heard studio 1 ableton or cubase are the closest

4. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

Ha ha ha hah...At first you said nothing to do with wanting to try R2R new releases. And in the end
    "Also would the recent R2R releases be compatible too?" :rofl:Welcome.

5. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Very nice laptop.
    Enough power, as long as you don't overcharge a virtual orchestra (RAM limit).
    Logic like ?
    Studio One and Bandlab Cakewalk (Free)

6. tylerv

tylerv Platinum Record

spec wise you should be more than fine. you can always have more processing/ram/storage etc but many many ppl do plenty with much much less than you have going spec wise. you would have to be running some major dsp hogs in tandem to cause anything to crash/ crap out.

as far as a daw, i would recommend Reaper. im sure there a plenty of threads here outlining why reaper is great so i wont waste alot of black ink on it but in your situation and the mention of "when you can afford" being part of the consideration i would say bc its indefinitely "free". but imo its the best daw regardless of price and it's only $60 when you decide you like it.

im on a mac currently (honestly only bc i wanted a ua apollo mk2 and i couldnt afford any of the top tier windows laptops that were equipped with thunderbolt at the time) and have legit logic pro x and legit protools perpetual license and reaper still has managed to stay my main daw since i started.

what has you running from mac? im just curious as ive been kind of looking into windows options recently as well just bc of the m1 thing. but im still facing some steep price tags for pc options that are thunderbolt capable and are similarly spec'd to my macbook pro..

7. Zapa

Zapa Newbie

Thank for replies.

@tylerv Im not running from Mac Per se. I will Probably still use my late 2015 Imac as primary system of recording and comping but for mixing it just seems to lack power and generally seems to peak on the CPU alot etc. I figure why have a Laptop with some ok specs i can literally use for whatever in my own time. I was thinking of using the Windows soley for mixing if the specs would permit, if that makes sense? ie PT 12.5 if it was compatible for instance, although its interesting to hear your assessment. I will give reaper a look into i guess :)

8. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

The i7-10750H should be okay if you tune the bios (not overclock) for steady state power & CPU usage. With a resource light DAW like Reaper, Bitwig or Tracktion, you should be able to mix without any complications. Just be ready to commit/bounce when using lots of plugins or virtual synths. If you can upgrade the RAM to 32GB, that would be more optimal.

macOS running Logic Pro X is more efficient even on a MacBook Air. The upcoming M1X should have true Pro features vs the current M1 based systems which are surprisingly good for audio & video production.