How would I make this type of sound?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by wacker, May 27, 2016.

1. wacker

wacker Newbie

I'm not sure if it's a instrument or a synth but I'm really curious. It takes me back. Thanks

3. Jochen

Jochen Noisemaker

sounds like some kind of electric piano! id just browse some kontakt libraries for different electric pianos and im sure youll find something similar!

4. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

It's deffinitely a Wurlie sample tweaked on its ADSR and filter. @Jochen is right, you will find somthing similar if you look for a Rhodes / Wurly sound. Good luck. :)

5. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Much simpler: A synth with two sinewave oscillators, tuned one octave apart, then a 12dB LPF.
    If you're a perfectionist, you might add a very low-level third OSC another octave above the two.
    It's very important to tweak the amp and filter envelopes until it sounds like the audio example.
    I can hear nothing that reminds me of a sampled wurly here, not even a filtered one, except for the envelopes.
    This sound can be reproduced with sine waves, filter and envelopes almost perfectly.

6. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

You know, I kinda was thinking the same thing listening to the first low octave part right at the start it sounded like ES_M but the higher octave part sounds like a tweaked Wurlitzer to me. Gonna see if I can find some examples, I have a day off anyway.

-edit- @fiction is right. Got the sound with an ES_M using a sine. Sounds a little thinner but deffinetly like the OP's example. Thanx mate!

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I would use an FM synth, and add some fast modulation envelope decay to add some tranient-y attack.

It sound very Aphex Twin or Autechre-ish.

8. wacker

wacker Newbie

alright thanks for the replies, ill try them all out

9. wacker

wacker Newbie

i tried to remake it and this is the closest i could get and im happy with it, thanks for all of the replies

10. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

good job, what remains is to tweak the oscillator envelope and the filter envelope, after that a lowpassfilter (kinda pointless if you used pure sinewaves). For the perfect emulation a little distortion before the filter would be in order, as well as an lfo modulating the finetuning.

11. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Here is my attempt using rather simple FM synthesis. I made it rather quickly in Vember Surge (old synth, I know, but still awesome).
    As I said in earlier post I used an envelope to modulate the modulator (to add some "knack" or transient. :) I also added another envelope to pitch, to do a "fast pitch up" (to the desired note), as well as a tiny bit of portamento/glide. Also some very slow noiseLFO controlling pitch (to simulate a warbly tape) and a very fast sineLFO to further emulate a "garbly" cassette tape.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0kjtvu25i5i9jwp/FM wurly sound_made in Surge.mp3?dl=0
    Preset:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/eheegktbnanq2sl/FM wurly sound.fxp?dl=0

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  12. wacker

wacker Newbie

That's pretty damn close, thanks Bax and everyone else!