how would i do this: extract drum kit in MIDI from full mixed track?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Pronto, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Pronto

Pronto Kapellmeister

hi, I use Reaper as my DAW..there's a song that i'd like to replicate a section of the drum pattern of (just the drums, not anything else like the blips and synth noises):

from 25 seconds in, until 43 seconds.. its mostly the full mixed drums and you can hear there are glitches and noises mixed in..seems it is quite difficult to do as a) it has these artefacts and b) the drums aren't separated into bass drum, snare etc.

i'd like to get this into MIDI to be able to play it on a vst drumkit..
    my best guess so far is somehow to duplicate it a number of times and try to filter out the frequencies i don't need on each duplicate..so i can be left with a track of mostly bass drum, mostly snare..then any detection software would be able to work better.
    but is there any way that it could be done in fewer steps in a less complicated way?
    can it be done at all?
    thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer. can anyone here recreate it even?!
    PS what might the drum pattern most closely resemble..is it a Rumba?

3. Satai

Satai Rock Star

What I would do is put it the track in Izotope RX if you're familiar with that. Make lasso selections to target all the blips and stuff you don't need, then use "spectral repair" (or just hit del) to attenuate those things HARD. It will sound pretty crappy on playback, but we don't care. Next, import this in your DAW, set up a gate. This time target it so you hear only the drums you want to hear, and the gate suppresses whatever still remained of the other stuff for you.

Now use this mangled signal to convert it to midi however you want. Ableton has this built in, you can also use ApulTrigger and such.

The newer RX7 has a drum/vocal/other isolation tool that might be worth trying just to see if you get anything useable, maybe a starting point for doing the above technique.

4. Pronto

Pronto Kapellmeister

5. ampworks

ampworks Producer

i would just play it on a keyboard as close as possible, maybe use Decapitator or somthing to smash it afterward.