How would "Backmasking" be done?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Jameshow, May 6, 2021.

1. R!ngo McGoogle

R!ngo McGoogle Member

wonk uoy ,hsilpmocca ot drah oot eb t'ndluohs tI :chilling:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. recycle

recycle Guest

A gorgeous scene from David Linch "Twin Peaks":

The actor explains how he did it:

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Parasite-B

Parasite-B Platinum Record

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Actually, it is, indeed.
    What you wrote is the tecnique used by Lynch in Twin Peaks, pretty easy to achieve, see @recycle post above.
    Now, think of McCartney "Gratitude", here the lyrics:
    Gratitude
    Gratitude
    Gratitude
    I'm so grateful for everything you've ever given me
    How can I explain what it means to be loved by you
    By you, loved by you, loved by you
    Show my gratitude, gratitude, show my gratitude
    I wanna show my gratitude, gratitude, yeah
    Well, I was lonely, I was living with a memory
    But my cold and lonely nights ended when you sheltered me
    Loved by you, I was loved by you, yeah, I was loved by you
    I wanna show my gratitude, gratitude, show my gratitude to you
    Gratitude, show my gratitude to you, oh yeah
    I should stop loving you
    Think what you put me through
    But I don't want to lock my heart away
    I will look forward to
    Days when…
    Now check the reverse lyrics I posted earlier, it changes completely meaning and yet it is intelligible, of course not like the forward one, but... Really complex work, IF INTENTIONAL.

I loved it, mostly OST by Badalamenti.

5. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Try this when you're bored, drunk, stoned, or even better, when your tripping on hallucinogens...

Ask yourself a question, and then record your answer. Next, reverse it to hear what your true intent and motivation is. It's weirdly honest and honestly weird. Really.

• List
  6. FrankPig

FrankPig Platinum Record

He must have been really relieved when he saw "Wow, Bob wow" in the script :yes:

7. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Can backmasking hidden in a song be spiritually dangerous?

Backmasking, or backward masking, is an audio technique in which a voice message or series of sounds is recorded backward onto an audio track intended to be played forward. Backmasking is a conscious process done by an individual with the intention of reversing pieces of the audio. Backmasking is different from phonetic reversal, in which a reversed word happens to sound like another word.

While backmasking entered its experimental phase in the 1950s, the technique was popularized on the Beatles’ 1966 album Revolver, which included backward instrumentation. Since that time, many other artists have utilized backmasking for aesthetic, comedic, or satiric effects. “Clean” radio edits often employ backmasking to censor profanity or offensive phrases in explicit songs. Playing audio tracks backward was a relatively simple matter in the era of vinyl LPs and magnetic audio tape. Since the introduction of CDs, the ability to play audio tracks backward has become difficult without the use of special equipment or software, and interest in discovering hidden messages in songs has declined.

Backmasking has been a controversial issue among Christians, especially in the 1970s and 1980s, when various Christian groups claimed that satanic messages were being inserted in secular music via backmasking. Most musicians deny the use of backmasking to promote Satanism. However, the fact is that backmasking has been used by some bands to deliberately insert messages into their music. Whether or not those messages pose a threat to listeners is up for debate.

Opponents of backmasking allege that hidden messages have a subliminal effect on the listener as the subconscious attempts to decipher the backward sounds. There are two problems with this argument. First, subliminal messages only succeed if the recipient is already considering or planning to do what is being suggested. Further, studies have shown that auditory subliminal messages have little to no effect on the listener.

Second, the human brain is predisposed to search for patterns, a psychological phenomenon called pareidolia. Pareidolia is the perception of a familiar pattern, such as language, where no pattern actually exists. We have all experienced this phenomenon, whether it is finding an animal in the clouds, seeing a man in the moon, or hearing a hidden message in a song played backward or at a higher or lower speed than normal. When an audio track is played forward or backward, the listener’s mind will try to make sense of what is being heard. Thus, a person could perceive words that were not intentionally inserted.

Some claims of backmasking in songs, where the artist has denied the use of backmasking, could be a simple case of pareidolia; if a person is looking for certain words in the reverse audio of a song, he will probably find them. In other cases backmasking has definitely been used, and the musicians have admitted it. Ultimately, a Christian’s life will not be affected by backmasking in songs unless he or she searches for it and allows the hidden message to fester in the mind.

While backmasking need not be a major worry, we should still be aware of what kinds of music we allow to occupy our minds. The Bible teaches that whatever the mind dwells upon will sooner or later come out in a person’s words and actions (Philippians 4:8; Colossians 3:2, 5). Second Corinthians 10:5 says we should “take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ.” More important than finding out if a song has backmasking is considering the lyrics of songs and how the music affects us personally. If anything leads us down a path that does not glorify God, that thing should be avoided.

Source:www.gotquestions.org/backmasking.html

An Explanation of Backmasking
    Why Are There Hidden Messages And How Do They Get There?
    There are three different theories on the origins of these backward messages:
    www.backmasking.com

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  8. FrankPig

FrankPig Platinum Record

@BEAT16
    None more black than Stairway to Heaven...

Here is a fine example:

At 1:55...undeniably "because I live with soya". They all heard it.

Further proof (if proof be needed):

...which reveals, amongst other things, "And no wimps can bend the rules.. And no wimps can do.."!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!11!1!ONEONE!

9. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Amazing E3 Secrets Revealed Through Reverse Speech! - Reality Check

ReverseSpeech www.backwardmessages.com

10. charleskeyz

charleskeyz Newbie

Isn't it called Backcasting, not back-masking. I've met kids who swear they lost their mind from binaural youtube videos. Ive also read comments in Ariana Grande videos with people claiming the song was making them feel physically weird if they listened with headphones lol. I mean if you want to cast a spell on someone, look at the "spelling" of the word. If you want to put a curse on them, write it in cursive. ‍:rofl:

11. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

The how has been answered. "WHY?" - is another ballpark. Unless for the creation of something completely new, or to either give conspiracy theorists something to do or drive them nuts, or to send spy-crafted messages, I see no practical use for it. You can reverse any audio file with ease in any DAW nowadays.

12. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

If you didn't know, "I buried Paul".

13. Ozmosis

Ozmosis Producer

There are many many songs with backmasked messages:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backmasked_messages
    It's also unlikely anyone committed suicide after listening to Judas Priest, this was in fact dismissed by a judge after two families tried to take him to court stating that backmasked messages sadly caused their children to end their lives!

This is AMAZING - If you are not aware of this one it will totally flip you all out
    :
    When reversed the phonetics of the word "Insomniac" = "I must sleep" .......Like WTF!!!
    First you should consider that this word has been in use since circa 1600, although origins of this come from Latin and therefore obviously way before any audio recordings were possible... it's not simply a hidden vocal which is only intelligible when played backwards!

• List
  14. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Marketing. The buzz creates movement, the movement creates money, discussion, conferences, no matter how much, someone will always earn from this.

As explained already, it's not possible to create reverse speech just reversing audio speech, but reversing CERTAIN speech to obtain another speech/meaning, at times non sense, at times with a barely logical sense.

Reverse Neil Armstrong “One small step for (a) man” and you'll get another coherent sentence.:wink:

15. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

That's almost like trying to sell snow to an Eskimo :facepalm:

16. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Poetry

17. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Too bad you said that. Now you're responsible for the Eskimo conspiracy .:rofl:

18. ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ

ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ Platinum Record

Guess who did it before? > Aleister Crowley :yes:

He released some Poetry recordings which reversed contained lots of Wicked stuff..
    It's been explained many times, you can surely find it online.

Doing this kind of stuff is a process that takes time and experimentation,
    and I imagine back then only so much ppl could do it, as you needed a reversible tape machine..

So it's clear to me Stairway's lyric was deliberately made to be like that,
    and in fact the reverse lyric sometimes makes more sense, or talks about more specific stuff than the regular one,
    which is quite ambiguous to say the least.. "the piper's calling you to join him"?

Or there's actual clues,
    "cause you know sometimes words have two meanings" - followed by Plant's hand gesture..

Besides there's examples all over the place, for instance:
    Another one Bites the Dust = It's fun to smoke Marihuana..
    another sentence says "get some acid" (maybe "to the sound of the beat")

Popeye theme song = I'm a weird so gimme a fuck, gimme a fuck now

Mary Poppins, "Loud and Long and Clear" = "Drinking all night long"..

It's nothing new, sometimes it's the artists making a Joke..
    Sometimes it's the Writters, and the artists sing it unknowingly like the case of Xuxa.

:wink:

• List
  19. GreyOwl

GreyOwl Newbie

Try recording it both forward and reversed, then layer them on top of each other. To give it some separation so they don't run together as much, try to position them separately using positional reverb - like one closer to you and one farther away. You can also pan one partially to the left and one partially to the right. Hopefully that will keep them both discernable so you can make it out either way.

• List
  20. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

What Did Neil Armstrong Really Say?

Neil Armstrong - Backwards (secret message)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • List