How Vinyl Records Are Made - Video - 10/02/23

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BEAT16, Feb 11, 2023.

1. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

one of those things you could watch forever :yes:

4. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

They don't mention it, but I know that at least in past they would record at half or reduced speed in order to reduce master tape noise too.

For the guys like me who have (forcibly :rofl:) used and still have a lot vinyls, it also known that no vinyl is same to another.
    You get those too thin and ondulated making jump the cartridge, those too groove compressed ("kissing" and/or overlapping), 7 '' 45rpm singles at times were not well centered and that caused a slow rise and fall pitch change, and so on.

Dynamics in 12 '' 45rpm singles was usually better than the same in LP version, you could also see bare eye that grooves were larger.

The best vinyl quality I found in my collection are from Decca and Philips.

The worst thing I remember was mostly in the last tracks on the vinyl (slower tangential speed) where I could distinctly hear pretty high distortion at high frequencies.

For those interested in something more on the turntable physics, this is a nice link:
    https://www.audiomisc.co.uk/HFN/LP1/KeepInContact.html

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Wonderful videos, thank you!

Watching them I kept thinking that they explain why businesses moved away from this magical process that offered better sound and went all in for digital. They cut out all the labor, technical know-how, equipment, and materials, and now sell their product at a much lower production cost. Then to add insult to injury they pay musicians and songwriters fractions of a penny when the digital product is streamed even though it was so much cheaper to deliver the product.

Money always seems to have a way of killing beauty in this world.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2023