how to widen bass but keeping mono compatibility

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Gyro Gearloose, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

what fake stereo tool's or technique's we have ?

i appreciating every opinion....:speaker:

:cheers:

3. Glitchier

Glitchier Noisemaker

Goodhertz Midside, you can set "mono below" so you could have low frequencies mono and mid ones stereo. I think it's a really useful function.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Gyro Gearloose

cool tip ...:like:
    -------------------
    some bass lines sound like stereo but their mono..i just have read a similar thread bout how many clubsystems are really mono ,on gearwhores lately , so unfortunately i have no demo

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  5. Gyro Gearloose

6. Satai

Satai Rock Star

It's not just club systems. As you go lower and lower in frequency, the human ear itself stops being able to tell where in the stereo field the bass frequency is coming from. It's there but can't tell is it from the left or right...

This aspect isn't a strict cut off at some specific freq, but gradually tends that way as you go 200hz and 150hz, and 100hz...and lower. The further the more stereo kinda loses relevance for the frequency range.

One good way to get wide sounding basses is to blend secondary sounds with higher harmonics into the bass tone, i.e. ones you tune the same as the bass and put them an octave or two above the actual low bass tone. The trick is getting the blend to sound convincing so that it sounds like it's one thing playing. Then you widen the upper bass elements using whatever techniques you like.

When that bass tone hits it will sound like it's stereo even though its lowest frequencies are mono, and arguably it's cleaner than using mono-izing filters, gives you more control.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. Grandy

Grandy Member

this bass in the drop from 02:05 always fascinated me, any tips of how this bass was mixed?

8. Gyro Gearloose

my concerns are loosing overtones in sites and reverbtexture when switching...phase cancellation

9. Satai

Satai Rock Star

Sometimes that's fine. Let them listen on headphones if they want the reverb textures, played at the club that's typically the least of your worries sound wise.

A lot of people take the whole track and mono-ize the bass with an elliptical filter indiscriminantly these days, sometimes really high up too. This makes your wide bass sound samey same, nicely mono like everyone else but also it can lose out if that wideness was something special you worked to create, a different vibe. So what I want to suggest to you is a different way of thinking about it: yes, the lowest bass tones should be mono, but at the same time mono-izing using a filter might not be the best approach for every track. If you can get away without using the filter on the whole track, it might be more interesting to listen to thnx to the wide bass elements you're allowing to exist organically where everyone else has filtered them.

If the track is going to vinyl it will be filtered in this way for sure to avoid possible vinyl lathe damage, so you don't get a choice about it in that case. If it's just digital, there's more experimental leeway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. AwDee.0

AwDee.0 Kapellmeister

stereo-ize it. especially if your music isnt playing in those clubs‍♂️

11. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Rock Star

I probably can't add anything that anyone else on here can't explain better than me, but I will toss this out there. It seems like a lot of people have either forgotten about, or don't know about, Sound Radix's Auto Align. This is a plugin that ends up in every mix I make--period. I highly recommend watching the tutorials and overviews on Youtube, most notably a few by the Pro Audio Files. You can get pretty crazy with this plugin as per routing and all. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

Reverb.

Put a highpass before a short reverb on the send at around 200-300hz and crank the send.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. evolasme

evolasme Producer

there is no stereo imaging in low frequencies/ bass/ sub

14. Grave Protocol

Grave Protocol Noisemaker

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Try mono chorus on bass.That works really well with these sounds with some genres and they give some sense of space.Or if you want a stereo chorus try on an auxiliary track mixed with your mono bass.

Try to work with mono reverbs too,sometimes that works better than stereo reverbs.
    Or if you want a stereo reverb,don't spread too much/keep a moderate wide stereo image.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

There are many ways to add both width and depth. Layering narrow/mono sounds with wider (and deeper) sounds is one way, and making room for all layers with M/S EQ and M/S compression. Also adding different spatial effects on different bands (in parallel). Even band-panning can work, as they remain monocompatible (when summed to mono).
    Also using M/S processing. You can split the signal into Mid and Sides and put effect (chorus, Haas, flanger, phaser, reverb, delay, etc) on just the Sides while the Mid (where the overall power is) remains unaffected. Generally you want to lows to be alone in the Mid/mono channel, so for example you can just widen and put spatial effects on the mids and upper mids where we are most sensitive to width and depth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. Gyro Gearloose

dang....thanks a lot all of you.
    in under 12 hours , a lot of great input.this is an active forum.no compare out there i think.

18. Gyro Gearloose

yep.... but in the high and middle range of basslines which got boosted with reverb,grid and overtones

19. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Gyro Gearloose

yeah got to try this too some day .a gladly overlooked one by ppl i think..:like: