How to void CPU warranty in a coool way

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Aileron, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Aileron

Aileron Audiosexual

• Like Like x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Good stuff. Lower temperatures will make your CPU last longer. I would order a pre-delidded one, though as this tool costs like 1/4 of the CPU price. That's just too much. For $50 more you could rather buy a better CPU. :wink:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

It's funny how they say that the main use is for space restrictions that limits the cooler.
    Yeah yeah, the main use isn't OCing, and the sky is green...

But it's very interesting. Though only for the brave, with a lot of free time, lots of money and even more geek than me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

From the linked page:
    I doubt that their claim (manufacturers apply cheap inefficient paste) is true. Why would an experienced manufacturer risk warranty and lifetime issues by saving negligible cost in using low-quality materials applied on a tiny area?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. FiX

FiX Kapellmeister

Thanks for the interesting tip, but I'll pass it up. With my tech skills I'd be doing my computer a quicker favour fumbling for my gun and taking a potshot at it.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

I have a delidded and watercooled i7 6700 k. Works really great. There's this german guy call "Der 8auer" who participates in overclocking competitions with liquid oxygen and all that crazy shit. Anyway, he also offers a great tool for delidding CPUs:

http://der8auer.com/delid-die-mate/

Basically, you remove the lid, put some top notch thermal paste or liquid metal on the die and close it again. Make sure the surface of the heatsink is even, so the heat distribution to the cooler is optimal.

8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I agree, but in practice what the guy does is to almost remove that layer of alleged bad termal paste. The very thin layer that he applies is supposed to be the minimum to make good Kontakt, sorry, contact, with the upper metal.

9. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

The thing that caught my eye the most is that not only lowers the temperature but with extreme OCing it scales better than a regular one. Same frequency, same everything, one cooler than the other, perhaps less voltage. One would think if the regular one handles the temperature and voltage and doesn't hang/throttle they would have very similar performance.

It only does it in extreme cases, so not advisable , but is really curious.