How to use Volume Shaper in Logic with Midi 1-shot?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by dim_triad, Mar 1, 2015.

1. dim_triad

dim_triad Producer

so I'm using Logic, and I want to take advantage of Volume Shaper's "Midi-One Shot" feature. Now, if I create a software instrument track and load vol shaper into the "Instrument" slot, I CAN get the midi-sequence to trigger the device; however, obviously, that is pointless, cuz vol. shaper is not a sound source, so thats not how to do it.

Is it even possible in Logic?

3. relexted

relexted Producer

Since there are no comments yet, I think nobody knows how to get it working. Me neither.
    I've done a couple of attempts, never successful tho

They should just make a trigger option, or include a manual

4. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

In studio one just create a new midi track and select volumeshaper as Instrument, i have logic but I don't have volum. for mac I'll check

5. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

Actually not to difficult theres plenty of tutorials on how to do for me though It's definitely the most powerful and versatile option I could find for sidechaining purposes :wink:
    dimtriafd you kinda answered your own question thats exactly what you do! use as a precision noise gate with a programmable envelope. Finally your able to shape drums ect...

6. dim_triad

dim_triad Producer

I'm assuming you do not have Logic... in no way did I answer my own question.

Volume Shaper is not a sound-source, but the only way I can figure out how to actually get it to receive midi signals is by placing it in a Software Instrument track, in the slot where a synthesizer or other SOUND MODULE would actually go.
    Do you get what I mean now?.. and that it is not a solution?.. I'm almost offended, in that you would think I would ask a question and my answer would be in the question I am posting... in other words, that I'm a complete fuckin' retard. :mates:

they have a manual on website, but I didn't think I saw anything that related to Logic... anyways, I filled out their contact form on the cableguys website :wink:

7. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

i checked but i found nothing, i was able to load some midi-effects based like fabfilter simplon but can't with volumeshaper, try to ask some help from logic experts on apple forum :wink:

8. dim_triad

dim_triad Producer

hmm... yeah, still waitin for Cableguys to get back to me, they do say it could take up to 2-business days maybe more so...

I was gonna try and mess with it again tonight, and see if doing "stuff" with "Virtual Midi-bus" or that IAC thing would work :dunno:

The manual says somethin' like, if you want to use your DAW for MIDI-trigger, than do not use AU, and use VST; unless you want to use Virtual MIDI busses..??

so I'm hoping that was my indirect answer... use Virtual busses...

will see.. :wink:

9. dim_triad

dim_triad Producer

alright.. I know how now.

One way to do it is:

a- Insert Vol SHaper in i/o slot of Instrument Track (like I did before, which obviously allows you to sequence vol shaper).

b- Route the track that has audio on it that you would like to control with Vol Shaper, to a Bus (which will create an Aux channel),

c- Set side-chain input on Vol Shaper (in the upper-right corner of Logic's plugin window thing), to receive audio from the new Aux you created.

d- Mute the Aux output if you don't want to hear it along with your Volume Shaped version. :wink:

Fuck YEAH!!

Another way is to utilize an "IAC-Virtual Midi Bus" and Logic's Environment.

it's more complex and if anyone wants to know how to do it, PM me and I can give you a .pdf.

10. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

i tried but in the slot instruments Volumeshaper doesn't appear for me just other effects :dunno:

glad it works :wink:

11. dim_triad

dim_triad Producer

seriously??
    On the Instrument track, load vol shaper in instrument slot, NOT fx slot?..

im thinkin you chose wrong slot cuz fx should not be listed in that menu, your midi instruments should be in the list you are lookin for... like Arturia synths, U-he, X-fer Nerve/Serum etc... not effects :dunno:

You probably did do that, but maybe not?.. I can't believe thats not workin for you.. theres got to be sumtin wrong..
    seriously though, go to cableguys page and go to contact, and tell them what you are tryin to do, and ask what is wrong... they wont ask you for user account or nuthin, theyll just answer your question.

12. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

yeah instruments slot, volumeshaper isn't listened while other effects yes, no big problem i use it only for sidechaining purpose :wink: