How to use fader to control sample dynamics?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Bunford, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I tend to do a fair bit of film type music using orchestral libraries and would like to use a fader to control and automate the dynamics, velocities and volume of samples. I have a Presonus Faderport and tend to almost exclusively use Kontakt libraries. Is there any easy way I can use the Presonus Faderport fader to control these without losing the fader's normal functions, I.e. be able to turn the usability on and off?

3. nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial Platinum Record

no, the only possibility is to assign CC1 to a fader, (dynamics are controlled by Modwheel in Kontakt) and CC 11 for expression on another one . so I use a novation controller that can have its faders assigned to any CC you want .

4. nobodyspecial

but I see you have a BCR2000. use that one ;)

5. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Yeah, I was considering that but was ideally wanting to use a fader. The BCR2000 is the rotary knob version with the BCF2000 being the fader version. Might try to see if I can get a BCF2000 or Novation Remote Zero or something similar for cheap.

I know for Studio One's own plugins you can right click and choose 'temporarily use Faderport fader' or similar, so was kind of hoping there was a similar workaround for non-Presonus built in plugins.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  6. type2002n

type2002n Kapellmeister

Hello.
    I would try to use a vst rider on the respective track. Waves' vocal or bass rider, for instance. Or any other rider. Should work fine.

7. nobodyspecial

:D you really don't understand what it is about. we are talking about midi cc , not about mixing

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. type2002n

type2002n Kapellmeister

Rest assured, I understood perfectly. Just a simple solution to get the job done. If the final target is a track, that is. My first 'studio' was a 32 track midi one, in 1994, so I know quite a little about cc, rpn, nrpn, hex protocols, aso. If my suggestion is not convenient... well, too bad.

9. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Sorry if I sound dumb, but I don;t see how this works?

My aim is that when using sample libraries, e.g. Spitfire's Albion ONE, the strings have designated CCs for dynamics, vibrato, volume etc. Essentially I am looking for something with a fader to 'play' in and record the automation for these to humanise the playing of the instrument and make it sound more authentic, swelling and quietening etc with relevant parts of the track. How would a vocal rider plugin achieve this? I dont doubt you, just don't understand how it would work but there might be something that's not clicking in my head.