How to this Ambient key sound (enigma)

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Ambar, Mar 17, 2021.

1. hani king

hani king Platinum Record

im a HUGH cretu fan
    even as singer ,i love his vocals (and screaming with fx ) and i literally studied all his work
    and as far as i understand his programing method is very unique ,
    you need to know how to take a sample and make it BIG (with reverb/wide /EQ )
    and how to fade in pads (and use automation when vocals/chants starts)
    and he loves BIG drums ,and as far as his gear goes ,you can just mention any synthesizer and he already use
    all kind of keyboards that fellow member @Haliax mentioned in his post/ E-MU (full libraries) /PPG (all libraries )
    and there were using so many cd samples from korg/emu/ensoniq/yamaha .almost everything to creating astonishing sounds
    for sandra/enigma/and other projects

in this video,hes playing random music with already programmed drums presets from one of those ppg systems

more clips on how he process the drums at min 08:16 ( there are some good tips there on isolating himself so he can focus on every detail in that enigma 2nd album )

in 90s ,cretu started using mobile machines and he named them like alchemist and merlin (current machine that
    he was showing it while producing (social song ) here (you can see he wants to throw few jokes while speaking seriously heheh)

good luck in making Engima style @Ambar (and dont hesitate to send me your demos here for feedback/review

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. Ambar

Ambar Producer

Idk but the first time I heard safdeness I wanted to hear more tracks and more albums and so, I really enjoyed the world of sounds and samples (from known labels and other songs too) that he brought to us. The worst part of the story was he practically stole frank peterson's idea. I read frank was the pioneer and he was the man that bought tons of gregorian disks and other ethnic material and then proposed the fusion between gregorian chants and modern, at the beginning michael didnt like the idea ... and the rest is already known.

Wont be "style" at all but a little "touch" of enigma and ofc I will send you the demos :like:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Roject

Roject Audiosexual

If We at Enigma topic in working on sound category.
    Maybe You know on which piece of hardware Cretu makes this "Falling Star" effect?
    Is this a preset?

2:04 - 2:09

5. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

I too want that sound hahahaha since long ago. And those weird sine arps from intro Enigma 3 (not morse). And many other sounds....

6. Roject

Roject Audiosexual

Similar sound is on the Faithless and Ferry Corsten tracks.

0:01 - 0:28

3:20

• List
  7. Roject

Roject Audiosexual

Bonus. In the whole Ferry Corsten Track (Veracocha - Carte Blanche) this effect was used at least 9 times.
    Maybe that's why I have that "nostalgic feels" while listening to this because reminds me Enigma track.
    [​IMG]

• List
  8. Ambar

Ambar Producer

I found these videos before posting here...Michael really sampled a lot
    Couldnt find where that falling star sample comes from, At the beginning thought that it was from madonna lucky star reversed or something like that lol, but seems like not.
    I would like to know too : ) maybe emu or fairlight preset?

9. Roject

Roject Audiosexual

Haha I knew it that I know it from somewhere. It's reversed Leftfield track!
    Heh and there's one more. Sounds Of Enigma Track reminds me melody from Ennio Morricone song.

Just compare intro from Enigma track and later melody. They are little similar.

0:11

2:23

10. Ambar

Ambar Producer

ya curious, some notes are identical but its just a coincidence i think, or is it inspired by? hah

0:01

the drum loop x2 speed
    0:44

11. DJK

DJK Rock Star

12. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

I remember my boss saying this to me at the time!
    After analysing the rig for the venue, we used to warm up the P.A. with something that had as many 'D's on the CD as possible! ADD or DDD!
    And something as A as possible!
    So it used to be Scritti Politti, until the day I brought the 11 min, 3 track segued CD single of Sadness in to work with me.
    He never gave it back! haha.
    It was good for checking out the low-end and it was a crisp overall sound, with a lot of depth in the mix.
    Oh, and for the 'A' we would use the Greensleeves Samplers that we got given from various of the artists involved.
    Good times.
    Been listening to it all again since this thread. Lovely.
    Thanks for the reminder.

13. Roject

Roject Audiosexual

Shut! You've got me!
    This CD change the owner and is mine right now :bleh:
    Case expired. Sorry :dunno:
    I'll never give it back! [​IMG]

14. Ambar

Ambar Producer

@Roject btw You forgot to tell us where can we find that falling star sound effect, ty

15. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

But I bought another one and let him have the old one!

16. hani king

hani king Platinum Record

as far as i know its definitely a preset made by michael cretu and frank peterson as they used in in enigma opening theme
    and also frank used the preset on sarah brightman song 'in paradisum ''
    (wait for it ..at 01:35 ) ...

this shot in the dark but my guess is its acostum made preset from wavestations/M1/Emu ,
    maybe frank found it and cretu sampled the preset or vice versa so rightfully its made by both of them
    ============
    sarah herself is big Cretu/enigma fan so she asked frank to become her producer ,together they produced
    ''Dive '' 1993 / ''Fly'' 1995/'' Eden '' 1998 /La Luna ''2000 / Harem 2003 / ''Symphony/Winter Symphony ''2007 /Hymn 2018
    (even she covered one of sandra songs''johnny wanna live'' with new arrangement by franky in Dive album)

(it was recently i became a fan of her ,and i found sarah /frank albums quite enjoyable ,and its worth listening to )
    you can almost feel frank was dying to produce some enigmatic themes for sarah

back to you guys

17. virtualsound100

virtualsound100 Member

On 1:41, the melody is a Piano Sound with Vibrato or hard Chorus Effect with deep Reverb.