How to tell a story with just mere music and without any vocal, lyrics and video? Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by foster911, Nov 3, 2017.

1. foster911

foster911 Guest

I changed the title to be more useful.

Making music for me is mixing the sounds that produce a good interconnection when they sit next to each other. I don't know how to create a story with this fashion of composition and relate my music to the events around us. I can put my single music on lots of action video scenes and ameliorate them but it's not my only aim. I want to make a story by my music like a movie. For people working with vocal and lyrics, making story-telling music is so easier but when your only materials are sounds, making such space is onerous and crippling burden.

1- Is it possible to tell a story without vocal, lyrics and video?:dunno:

2- Suppose you listened to my below track and wanted to imagine a story for it. What would be that story?

Better quality:
    https://clyp.it/laotf1gu

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  3. ahjs

ahjs Kapellmeister

"Kopfschmerzen"

4. foster911

foster911 Guest

The first part till the second of 38 is for boys, the female part starts after that. Which part did you listen to?:bleh:

5. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Simply put. I 've heard 8bit masterpieces done on a Casio mini synth and a four track tape recorder. This ain't one of them. Speaking of groove, even this is funkier :

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. electriclash

electriclash Guest

HA!! Holy shit as a kid I used to play this one with my friend at the house.. I was good and died infrequently, so much so that he actually made a rap and used to do it when the game was rolling. The hook went:

...it's the mooooon patrol
    they'll get you when they wANT'

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::bow::bow::mates:

7. tooloud

tooloud Guest

I liked it. Especially at 1:50....overall it sounded like a Farfisa on acid. It was also the longest 4 bars I've ever heard.

8. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

@electriclash Coolness bro. I 've had the pleasure of growing up in the arcade era. We played it all. You name it, Asteroids, Phoenix, Galaga/Galaxian, Moon Cresta, Frogger, Donkey Kong, Moon Patrol, Pacman, Wonderboy, Tetris and hundreds more. As much as i love games like the Witcher or Elder Scrolls series, I love that old skool sht as well. Not to mention these old games is what my wife enjoys playing the most, so i always keep a Mame installed in one of my comps with enough roms.

9. electriclash

electriclash Guest

Hell yeah! it's so deeply ingrained I'll always carry in my heart! Have you checked out the x-arcade controllers? A SUPERB compliment to mame: https://shop.xgaming.com/collections/arcade-joysticks

[​IMG]

If I had to do again though I'd get this one with the trackball (marble madness, crystal castles & shooters like Crossbow etc). It wasn't a an option initially :facepalm:

[​IMG]
    Even w/o trackball still a total blast! :cheers::cheers:

(sorry for hijack Foster:bow:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Thnx a lot for the dual joystick post, boy oh boy AM I buying this sht lol. Thnx again man, and sorry for the hijack from me too @foster911
    PS: I remember the trackball was on the original Asteroids arcade, it felt so weird trying to tame the control on my first tries, totally outlandish. Made my night dude, cheers :)

11. foster911

foster911 Guest

No problem my friends, all my threads belong to you. Ů‘Please feel cozy, you're free to express your thoughts and feelings without any considerations albeit not having kindred spirits to the same matter, so appreciative that you listened to this.:mates:
    Man, I'm on cloud nine no no in seventh heaven you liked it. You're on the up-and-up and express your above board sensations straightforwardly. I really need and love that. Sock it to me.:bleh::bow::mates:

12. foster911

foster911 Guest

I changed the title.

13. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

This guy thought so

14. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

Dude! ... :dunno: .. you need to grow up :disco:

:rofl::bleh: :bow:

15. black bounty

also : next time you watch a movie: put a blindfold, headphones on.

your life will be changed forever

16. SOKRVT

SOKRVT Kapellmeister

Sometimes i do this when i want to sleep *insomnia*
    but never creatively, do tell if you have a better experience with that.

17. black bounty

it's just a change of perspective :)

18. spyfx

spyfx Guest

1- Is it possible to tell a story without vocal, lyrics and video?:dunno:
    my thoughts :..... Y E S.....my friend foster,all you have to do is focus on your main theme/melody/riff of your track,that is what evokes emotions on the listener and sparks his/her imagination (my humble opinion) :wink: :bow:

2- Suppose you listened to my below track and wanted to imagine a story for it. What would be that story?
    my thoughts : the story can be any story.....fantasy/imagination is unique to every persons consciousness,
    You the creator/artist is the one who will translate/guide the listener thru your music to what you want to say at the end :bow:.

P.s hope this helps you even more : for me foster i create my music first,then do my cover artwork and at the very end make a vid just for fun to accommodate/fit in with the music,so the listener he/she can also visually see what i was trying to tell...a story !
    Many members don't even care to share their thoughts/comments on my vids here anyways lol !
    If you want help with a vid,let me know which track of yours you feel wants a visual,and i will make one for you with your Pink Panther director instructions !:yes: :wink: :bow:
    hope all this helps you foster !

19. I do not believe that one can tell a complete, literate story without text or visuals, as although a masterful composer can most definitely help glorify a storyline by creating emotional texture, music alone and completely within itself has no direct one to one relationship to letters or words, actions or thoughts. I think it impossible with just notes on a staff to relate for instance; "Forty-five cationic near do wells, their backs against a long, grey wall, balked within the deepest recesses of their minds to ever speak again of the time when they were animate and happy, when all the world was their's for the taking and the sun never set upon their smiling faces". How the heck could that be accomplished by a composer, by even the greatest? A silly question from a dear, silly man.

20. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I think it's more of a metaphorically speaking.

When/if you listen to "The Moldau" this can create impressions of a river and its course. Sure your impressions would differ from anybody else's but they would definitely be influenced by the music.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  21. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

Yes, but the people you are telling the story to need to be somewhat on the same wavelength as you. It thematic and although we can all appreciate good music, sometimes the emotion and the correct interpretation needs context. It is steeped in culture and a space and time, not everyone can relate exactly but sometimes you can still a fuzzy glimpse or you can appreciate that the sounds are transmitting something without getting the message you will get something.

No, if the people listening do not have your context understood and can not relate as to how you notes are meant to evoke a certain emotion.

Some music is regional and there is a reason for that and without words, even though it might be appreciated it might not be understood.