How to speed up plugin scanning in ableton 11.2

Discussion in 'Live' started by GuestStar, Dec 26, 2022.

1. GuestStar

GuestStar Ultrasonic

After I moved back to 11.1 version Ii am pretty sure that they changed the algorithm of scanning process. Until 11.1 they had a priority scanning of plugins. After they changed in no priority scanning (Process) so you can work on your music and the scanning is working in parallel. This is the reason why i take so long. They forgot to add some code regarding the existing plugins so the SW does not need to rescann all plugins completely. The people they know a little bit about programming they will understand what I mean. Myself I have every SW on SSD and have a big memory 32GB. Doing this I never had an issue with Plugins.

2. hartcru

hartcru Ultrasonic

Hi all my best wishes for you. I am disappointed by the time that Aleton takes to start, Reaper is much faster and lately discovered studio one (thank you Audioz darling) It has no photo it is much faster in all, startup, display of plugins, shortcuts etc..... a real treat.....

3. tchouangtseu

tchouangtseu Kapellmeister

I wonder how you move your vst3 folder to another drive? Most companies I use don't let you choose when installing...
    I also put my user library on another ssd but thats easily done.

Also on this scanning matter, I'm using ableton 11.1, win7 and the scan doesn't take that long when installing new plugins, few seconds and its done. Does take longer than Live 10 but nothing unbearable.
    Lots of people complaining about it but to me its more the cpu consumption and spikes that are a gutter in this version.

4. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Don't know why you are having issues. Everything perfect with the 11.2 install being used to reeducate myself to help my son when he runs into a problem.

Installed the complete Dec 2022 PA Bundle (FX only, all formats). Time to scan of new plugins was normal.
    Installed the bx_oberhausen & Knif Audio Knifonium. About 20s to scan new plugins.

A few common areas that can hamper Workstation performance:
    • BIOS settings
    • Windows settings
    • All drivers up-to-date (using developer drivers preferably.
    • No unnecessary services or apps/programs running in background

5. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

the plugin scanner was redone for Live 11 some version, bcs M1 needed an overhaul anyway.

there is a difference, if you scan 500 waves plugins vs 1 sylenth1.

I suggest make an install marathon, scan, get a coffee, eat something and then well just kill the plugin scan always, when you dont like it or CPU take the suicide route.
    Thats only way for me right now ...

6. GuestStar

GuestStar Ultrasonic

It's a good idea to do this in case you do not install a new plug in. What's about if you need to test a new (or several) plug in? You have to wait 10-15 min after this new plug in is showing up. Sometimes there is a crash with new plug ins and there additional waiting time. I find it's a mess already when Ableton is crashing as well there I have to wait 10-15 minutes to empty the memory.

7. ArticStorm

i usually dedicate a hour to install a bunch of new plugins, which i have tested in REAPER/savihost (if it works there, plugin scan wont have a crash or something in 90% of the cases), if they load, i let them load? (scanning on SSD and ryzen 7 is actual really fast.) and if thats done, i dont need to rescan for a longer time, so if scanning takes longer, i will cancel it, as i know, i havnt installed new plugins, therefore scan is not necessary.
    I know its a crappy solution, but Ableton fucked this up for us, with letting us not to deactivate plugin scan on startup :deep_facepalm:

8. Neflum

Neflum Ultrasonic

If they don't provide a step in the installer to choose vst3 location, then you go to the regular vst3 folder after install and just cut/copy to the new location..

That's because we are talking about Ableton 11.2.xxx

Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
  9. PartyShit

PartyShit Producer

Right now I have exactly 768 plugins (Waves v12 alone takes 300+plugins... that's the best the latest ones are horrible & doesn't worth upgrading)
    Yes ofcourse when I installed everything & started Ableton for the first time yes it took about 4-5 minutes to scan but that's it Ableton does a "scanner.txt" or some database called like this so it never scans again & again it only scans new plugins if it detects new ones
    For some reason my Ableton runs really smooth maybe my RAM is fast & good I have 3600MHz Corsair DDR4

10. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

u can do nothing about it. They made a new algorithm that made a lot vst plugins scanning even worse. The most problematic plugins are u-he's plugins because they have 1000 subfolders and what ı have heard Blue Cats VR relealease plugins. If u remove these plugins dlls from ur pluginfolder u will see that it speeds up. I have a decent ssd with 7000MB read and write speeds. Even it takes 4 minutes to scan the uhe plugs.

11. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

Lesser Galactic Co-ordinates: Earth (0.0.0)
    Or here's a thought. Don't use plugins :) Use what the DAW has included. Then it won't take forever to scan.

12. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

This answer I take it for kidding.

13. Owan

Owan Kapellmeister

I also experienced the slow plugin scan each time after a new plugin was installed. It was still present in 11.3.4. It took minutes to complete until the scanning message disappeared bottom left. Currently I have 78 plugins in use, VST2 and VST3 custom folders on a separate hard drive, no ssd.

Inside the folder
    C:\ProgramData\Ableton\Live 11 Suite\Resources\Schema
    there are many xml setting files. I removed all txt files that started with a number below 11 from this folder and only kept all 11.x files. I put the lower named files into a subfolder and created a rar file. This way they are excluded and ignored by Live.
    These files store several options, I guess there's something messed up, it's hard to figure out what it is in detail. Maybe the older files are leftovers from previous installations.

Long story short: Since I removed the lower named files, the scanning issue is gone and Live is very quick. Everything else works fine, no issue found.
    Just don't remove any of the 11.x files, otherwise Live 11's functionality is detracted, that's it.

For me this simple thing did the trick, you can try it yourself. If it doesn't work for you, it's easy to restore.
    Hope this helps, good luck!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
  14. insomnia

insomnia Member

the more you got the longer it takes what i have taken to doing is letting do a full scan when i installed a loads of new vst , then if you search options full list ableton hidden on goolge you will get a list off thing that you can activate not shown in the interface one is disable vst scan so it just goes off you last launch settings

15. ArticStorm

Ableton removed the NoStartupScan commands from options.txt sadly. (Everybody was using it.)

Sure the other commands works for now.

16. softice

softice Producer

Last edited: Dec 13, 2023