How to solve STEAM folder does not have write permission error (SOLVED)

Discussion in 'Omnisphere' started by unblazed, Mar 8, 2020.

1. onlybeginner

onlybeginner Newbie

Just found the solution if you're still looking. Go to Spectrasonics folder, right click and click get info. On the bottom there is user which is you and everyone. Now, click on the + button and add administrator. Select read& write for permission then click on settings button next to + and - and select apply this to all subfolders. If you cant click apply this... then you need to click on the lock button and unlock it with your password. Enjoy!

2. onlybeginner

onlybeginner Newbie

Or on windows allow the Administrator all the permisions as you can see in the images that someone posted here. The plugin uses Administrator permision.

3. 01W

01W Newbie

I have similar issue, i tried all the links, many youtube tutorials to disable "read only" but it keeps reverting back to "read only" all the time

4. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

It does not matter if it says "read only" That has nothing to do with it. NOTHING. on previous page I gave detailed instructions of what needs to be done. If it does not work in your case, it is because you are doing something wrong. if you can't figure it out, get TEAMViewer and send me a PM>

Edit: My offer is good for the next 24 hours

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Rockseller

Rockseller Platinum Record

I read stem folder ...

(never would I click on an omnisphere threat)

6. chopin4525

chopin4525 Producer

Be ready to be blackmailed to death, now! xD

7. 01W

01W Newbie

system doesnt allow me to send you pm probably because I dont have enough reputation here yet

8. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Sorry about that. It is not the system. it is my settings, I have it set up like that. Check your PM.

9. Sakanade

Sakanade Newbie

Hi, can you please DM?? I can't do it and i need your help

10. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

11. vanderveil

vanderveil Member

STEAM, Properties, Security, Advanced, Edit, Advanced, Search, Desktop Administrators, OK, Apply, Tick Replace owner of subcontainers and objects, Apply. Done.

12. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

If they cant follow the detailed graphic instructions which were already marked as BEST ANSWER why do we have to keep on repeating the same thing? BTW, the owner in this cases should be replaced with "Everyone" in order to avoid any possible complications in the future. I chose Everyone for a reason.

13. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

@Olymoon I think it is time to mark this thread as "SOLVED" and to close it.

14. vanderveil

vanderveil Member

This is the BEST ANSWER

15. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Marked as solved, but not closed.

I love your this new avatar :wink:

16. Nana Banana

Nana Banana Guest

Just a quick addition to this thread. I'm consistently using a "Take Ownership" reg entry that I added to the right click menu. I use it a lot within the Kontakt service center directory to edit and save the XML files to add libraries. This works really well with anything in windows you want to control. Check it out here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/win...ership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

And here's the links to the actual Reg files needed:

https://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Take-Ownership-Menu-Hacks.zip

Hope that helps :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2020
  17. stantough

stantough Newbie

Here's how I solved the issue at my end (using Windows 10, Cubase 10.5).

I have had two errors everytime I tried to launch Omnisphere -> First it tells me that the Steam folder cannot be found and asked me to identify the folder.

If I chose yes, the whole application freezes (even though I can close it within Cubase).

If I chose no, then I received all the typical prompts -> Steam folder is not writable etc. etc.

I gave everyone full access to both the steam folders and the folder containing the Omnisphere .exe file. Still the same thing. I restarted the app, restarted Cubase, and Windows, and reinstalled the whole Omnisphere program, and still it didn't resolve a thing, even though I was sure I did what I was supposed to exactly, step by step.

Then I launched the Omnisphere.exe file as a standalone app without Cubase. Again I had the error saying Steam folder couldn't be found. But this time round when I selected the option to select the Steam folder, a pop up immediately appeared and I was able to make the section.

After which, I still had the same prompts saying Steam folder is not writable etc. etc., but what was different was this time around the Windows Firewall pop up appeared saying that it has blocked Omnisphere from some access. I chose to give it access. For the first time I was able to use Omnisphere.

Then I decided to launch Cubase and Omnisphere from within there. This time round, no prompts saying Steam folder cannot be found, no pop ups saying Steam folder is not writable etc. I still got a Firewall pop up saying Omnisphere is blocked and I chose to give it access again.

It has been running fine ever since. Sharing this in case more people still have the issue after giving full access on the folders.

18. Christian Jimenez

Christian Jimenez Newbie

... Hello Pirate... I would appreciate the TeamViewer help as well like a lot lol... I tried what you suggested and failed miserably... :'(

19. DylanCovid

DylanCovid Newbie

Try this.

1.-Close keyscape.
    2.-Create one Folder named Multis inside of your STEAM folder. STEAM \ Keyscape \ Settings Library \Multis
    3.-Open keyscape again.

[​IMG]

this is the behavior Without Multis folder
    [​IMG]

And Now, with the Multis folder created
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

@DylanCovid The problem that he has has nothing to do with a Multis subfolder. NOTHING. Indeed, you can delete the Multis subfolder that you mention, and as soon as you get the message "STEAM folder does not have write permissions" if you click "ok" it WILL open. Moreover, everyone who downloaded my release, and follow the instructions WILL HAVE a Multis folder already. As a matter of fact, the Multis folder is created by default. I know you took your time preparing the post, however, what you suggested makes no sense whatsoever. You simply can't obtain full permissions to a root folder nor change its attributes by simply adding a sub folder. That is not the way things work in Windows. Finally, it looks like you missed that @unblazed who was the OP was able to solve his problems with the instructions that I gave him which are the ones to follow when this issue arises.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020