How to simulate an acoustic guitar and bass with guitar?

Discussion in 'Software' started by pelao, Dec 16, 2016.

1. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

hello again, i want to know if there's a decent way to simulate an acoustic guitar and a bass with an electric guitar, i tried revalver 4 but it sounds weak. If there's another way let me know please. Thanks in avance

3. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

nobody?

4. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

For bass : first put a pitch shifter plugin on your guitar track.
    then lower down the pitch one octave or -12. then use a bass amp on it.
    You can do all of this in every guitar fx software. they have both pitch shifter in stomp and bass amps.
    then test with different pickups of your guitar (neck,bridge,...). don't forget to Eq it

For acoustic : first put your pickup switch on the neck pickup. use a slim pick or thumb.
    Then use a preset in amplitube that simulates acoustic.
    you can use Eq and compressor to change the result. for acoustic boosting Hi is important.
    there is such presets also in guitar rig ,...

if you found better ways don't forget to share it:winker:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. There are no good ways to simulate a bass guitar with an electric guitar, you just can approach at considerable distance a vague shape with your ears, but the closer you come the realization makes itself all too apparent. I tried years ago using an Electro Harmonix Synth Pedal, but to no avail. Buy a cheap bass or borrow one from a friend. My neighbor extendedly loaned me a silver Squire Bass that kind of sucks, but it is still a bass. Same with the acoustic. If you have a decent mic, a beat up banger can be made to sound decent with correct placement, judicious equalization and the right reverb.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2016
  6. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

If you are using Ableton, pitch to MIDI with some nice Kontakt samples?
    Or get JamOrigin's MIDI guitar. The latency is surprisingly fast.... fast enough to play bass with pitch bend.
    Schaller makes a piezo tune o matic bridge for under $100 if you have a Les Paul type guitar. With a little eq is a very convincing acoustic tone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. TW

TW Guest

Peavey Revalver 4

You tried the only halfway decent sounding VSti there is, that has something like aguitar match feature ...
    It is not that bad i use it for songwriting if i am to lazy to stand up and plug my bass or acoustic in.

Bias has a nice acoustic simulations too.

8. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Just got turned onto 3 Sigma Audio. They have Acoustic guitar IRs:

9. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

But really, just get a cheap used bass or acoustic guitar. It'll be cheaper than software anyway, and sound much better.

10. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

need acoustic :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

11. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I found an Oscar Schmidt Acoustic Electric at a pawn shop going for $40.
    Some new strings and a little Ax Wax and that was all she wrote.

http://www.audiorammer.com/site/?q=products/ampfire -Check this out if you're still stuck on using a VST. There are before/afters for the acoustic sound. Still not organic enough, IMHO.

12. G String

G String Rock Star

Surely you will get a better result using software?

If you care so much (or it matters so much) that it sounds a particular way, you aren't going to be happy without a proper bass and acoustic.

And if you don't have them, you don't have them. MODO Bass, Trillian and sample libs are easily good enough to make something like a "demo". If those aren't "good enough" then I can't see how using your guitar instead will be.

It's tough to get nice acoustic gtr sample/instrument. But, again, they're surely good enough to do something that demonstrates the track and arrangement etc. If you don't have an acoustic, or the bass, what else can you do?

Trying to do it in midi is a good challenge for a guitarist imo, I found it quite illuminating. And it's certainly easier to edit. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. J Spektrum

J Spektrum Member

The new Overloud TH3 had a pretty convincing guitar to bass preset. Sat in the mix, it should be decent. I didn't spend much time with the acoustic sim on it, but in one of their demo vids they had it sounding much closer.

14. Thank's for the nod towards those impulse responses. They can definitely add a bit of a resemblance, add a sheen over the sound of the electric guitar and help one imagine the ghost of the acoustics one would hope to portray when using a steel string underneath as the basis of the sound. However, unless in inordinate of time is spent dealing with the sustain and release of every chord and sustained single note played to mimic the tailing off of a true acoustic guitar in reference to using the electric in hopes to sway the listener into the ranks of true believer, the physics of the electric will give it away every time.

15. Kloud

Kloud Guest

like written no really convincing ways

Tune down, use thick strings and try something like

Outside software u need a bass or acoustic really. They always well handy once u picked one up.

U can pick both up pretty cheap at stores second hand :yes:

16. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

thanks i will try your sugestions

17. pelao

pelao Kapellmeister

i have MODO BASS and i use it with midi guitar but i can't change the effects during playing (hammer on, slide etc. the fallowing video is a demo with ELECTRIC GUITAR of te 3sigma acoustic responses. This guys really did great impulses

18. Montgent

Montgent Kapellmeister

They're right. If you need a bass, Cherry bass is good. But you need to play an acoustic to get anything near realistic, and by that point, just learn it.
    It's worth it's weight in gold.

19. ClaudeBalls

ClaudeBalls Producer

Try recording the electric with a mic as an acoustic. It ain't pretty but for strumming parts it might work. Layer it, capo for a 12 string effect. Use some monster compression and go with something funky and more original. You can record the acoustic part with a mic and also the direct electric sound and then try some sort of blend of the two.

For bass, just try to play it cleanly with no overlapping notes and then use the pitch transpose in ableton or any other DAW and it might be close enough. There are terrible artifacts with polyphonic parts but if you play clean single note lines you might get something you can use. In Digital Performer the built-in pitch shifter has presets for different vocal and instrument types and it adjusts the formants and so on. Sometimes it comes out cool.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

This is a ghetto kind of workaround to get bass out of an electric but setup an FX chain something like:
    Saturator > Low Pass Filter > Saturator > EQ.
    Up the gain somewhere near the end and pitch down an octave
    You could even remove strings B and e.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  21. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

I can see a beater bass sounding decent with new strings and plugins but both of you need to spill the beans on how to record a shitty acoustic guitar with a decent mic.