How to set up multi computer setup with ultrawide monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Bunford, Oct 6, 2022.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I am trying to get a good setup going and would like some advice.

I have a music production laptop and a day job laptop. I am looking to connect both to a single monitor, keyboard and laptop, and assume a KVM switch is best for this.

However, my monitor is a 34" ultrawide monitor and I am wondering if KVM switches output to an ultrawide ok? Does it matter if HDMI or DisplayPort?

Any suggestions on the best way to hook things up? Any KVM switches recommended? Any docking stations (I've seen a Lenovo USB-C docking station but not sure if it works?!)?

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

Logitech Flow software. mx master etc mouse and kb. they just work on both machines, no switch. These will both be on same network, etc. Bluetooth.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  4. Willum

Willum Rock Star

I always had a kvm setup for my 2 tower cases under my desk but when i wanted to go to a 4k screen i couldn't find a reasonably priced kvm to use. I solved it by plugging both monitor cables to seperate inputs on my screen and using the screen remote to switch them. If you have simple wired mouse and keyboard, i.e no rgb then just use a cheap usb switcher for them. Be careful though as some keyboard mouse combos draw too much power to be reliable and then a small powered hub will work fine.

A much cheaper setup than getting a kvm that can handle a high res monitor.

One caveat, i stopped using the kvm several years ago so there may be cheap reliable high res capable kvm's available now.

5. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

This would potentially be a solution, but one laptop is a day job issued laptop (a Lenovo ThinkPad) that I cannot install any third party software on due to corporate IT policies and so on.