How To Send Instruments From Kontakt Mixer To FL Studio Mixer? Guru Style

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Introninja, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

[​IMG]
    Read this whole tutorial before starting it, so you get all the hints and tricks before you start.

1.Open FL Studio (version 9 & up)

2.Open Kontakt

3.Click the Output Tab,

[​IMG]

You will now see the mixer,

[​IMG]

4.Click the Add Channel Button
    [​IMG]

5.Copy the Setting in this Picture, and click OK

[​IMG]

then this window will appear: Click OK
    [​IMG]

Quantity: Choose how many Channels you need (I chose 16 Because FL Studio has 16 Midi Channels per Instrument, i wont need all of them every project but it's handy to have.)

Number of Channels: 1 for Mono, 2 for Stereo, 6 for Surround
    Example: you can set-up 8 tracks for Mono for Drums & such and other 8 tracks for Stereo or any combo you like. Note: you cant set-up mono and stereo at the same time. one batch at a time!!!

Soundcard / Host Output: Select Kt. st.1(1).... Kt=Kontakt, st.1=Stereo channel one, (1) and (2)=Stereo Channel (Left & Right)

Ascending output Assignment: Depending on how many channels you choose, it will automatically assign the channels outputs to the mixer (1/2 channel one , 3/4 channel two, 5/6 channel three, etc. for stereo set-up)

Delete Existing Channels before creating new ones: Use this the First time you set-up the Mixer channels, but when you are going to set-up mono & Stereo Channels interchangeably, Don't check this box!!!

Make this your Default Configuration: Self Explanatory, but just in case...Yes

6.Check the Aux Channels Outputs: In my case they were incorrect and needed to be fixed because they were in conflict with other channels outputs.
    [​IMG]

To change the the output assignment of Aux 1 click 5/6 or whatever the output number is there, for you it might be 11/12

click where it's shown below:

[​IMG]

For Aux 1
    Click 11/12
    Click the first channel output, then scroll to Kt, unassigned [15]
    Click the Second channel output, then scroll to Kt, unassigned [16]
    Click okay

For Aux 2
    Click 13/14
    Click the first channel output, then scroll to Kt, unassigned [17]
    Click the Second channel output, then scroll to Kt, unassigned [18]
    Click okay

For Aux 3

Click 15/16
    Click the first channel output, then scroll to Kt, unassigned [19]
    Click the Second channel output, then scroll to Kt, unassigned [20]
    Click okay

For Aux 4

Click 17/18
    Click the first channel output, then scroll to Kt, unassigned [21]
    Click the Second channel output, then scroll to Kt, unassigned [22]
    Click okay

Then this window will appear:
    [​IMG]

7. Click the Preset / Batch Configuration Tab (Shown below)

[​IMG]

8.Click Save output section preset as... and name it whatever you want and click Save, i named it, "16 Stereo Channel Mixer (FL Studio)"

9.Click the Preset / Batch Configuration Tab and click Save current output section state as default for.. Click ALL Formats
    [​IMG]

10.Close & remove Kontakt from the channel rack and re open it, once you confirm all mixer channels there, close Fl Studio and re open it (There a reason for this!!!! To reset the outputs from Kontakt to FL Studio)

11.Open FL Studio again, then Kontakt

12.Click the gear icon, it's located at the top left corner (Shown below)
    [​IMG]

13.Click the second icon (Shown Below) for FL Studio 12 and over
    [​IMG]

14. Click the Processing Tab, then add the number 1 in the first box of 1. Kt st. 1/ Kt st. 1 R, then click Auto map Outputs (Picture shown Below)
    [​IMG]

15. Close the setting by pressing the gear icon
    [​IMG]

This is where things get tricky, if (you don't have too but for those who are curious lol) you open another instance of kontakt and click the gear icon and click the processing tab you will notice the channels are not saved & mapped, Yes this got me too..

I found two workarounds that is a permanent fix

17. click the arrow in the top right corner pic below, you have two choices
    [​IMG]
    17a. You can save as a preset so whenever you open kontakt right-click the preset arrows and select the preset you made (this is also excellent if you have different mixer set-ups presets)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

If you don't plan on to use Plugin Picker, your Journey stops here. It shall continue on part 2

17b. If you use Plugin Picker often, click add to plugin database and a window will pop up, click OK (see below)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The browser will now show the Plugin database, click Sampler and then the second Sampler,
    [​IMG]

Go back to kontakt, click the arrow in the top right corner , click Add to plugin database and a window will pop up (see below) click OK
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

To refresh your browser in FL Studio, back to default view click the up arrow & Cross looking icon (show below)
    [​IMG]

18.Now you might be saying to yourself, "well how do i name this mixer set-up instead of just kontakt 5?", worry no longer,

Close FL Studio,
    Click the Windows start menu button,
    Click computer and copy/pate this in the address bar:

C:\FL Studio 12.2\Data\Patches\Plugin database\Generators\Sampler\Sampler

rename the two files ( your name choice, but i used)
    Kontakt 5 16 Stereo Mixer.fst
    Kontakt 5 16 Stereo Mixer.nfo
    leave the Kontakt 5.png alone (this will be the standard pic for all your future mixer set-ups!!)

19.Open FL Studio,
    press F8
    hover over Sampler
    Click Kontakt 5 16 Stereo Channel mixer

or

Click the + Sign in the Channel Rack
    hover over Sampler
    Click Kontakt 5 16 Stereo Channel mixer

Get Back to Producing....

Your Truly

Kontakt Guru

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • List
  3. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

Route From Kontakt Mixer To Fl Studio Mixer Guru Style
    [​IMG]
    1.Open FL Studio & Kontakt

2.Load up some .nki's or multi

3.You have options, you can add the instruments you want, then after send them to Kontakt mixer or you can send each instrument to Kontakt mixer upon loading or Both lol (See Below)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you chose to add all your instruments first, then don't manually add them to Kontakt mixer because there is a batch option that will name & link them for you. To do this:

4.Click the Output Tab,
    [​IMG]

You will now see the mixer,
    [​IMG]

5.Click the Preset / Batch Configuration Tab (Shown below)

[​IMG]

6.Click Batch Functions, then Click Split instruments routed to first output channel to individual outputs
    [​IMG]

Now all your instruments will show in the mixer faders and will play in FL Studio Mixer to be tweaked. (See Below)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7.To Manually do them,
    Click St.1 in the Instrument output and change it to whatever mixer channel you want, i keep in order but hey your choice (See Below)
    [​IMG]

keep doing this for all the instruments you add and voila.

Hint: As you know that we have allotted the first 20 mixer channels in FL Studio!!!! So that means Omnisphere, other Drum Samples, & Spire have to find somewhere else to play lol..Not TRUE!!!!

If you used those mixer channels already and now you want to load Kontakt just assign kontakt main mixer channel to the next free 20 mixer channels (See Below)
    [​IMG]

Example, you used the first 26 mixer channels and now you what to load Kontakt just change the main mixer to 27 (See Above) and every new instrument you add will start from 28 to 48..Bam Baby
    =================================================================================

4. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

Setting Up Kontakt Midi Channels with Instruments

Open FL Studio & Kontakt

2.Load up some .nki's or multi

3.Now depending how you have your midi assignment in kontakt, (See Below)

Click Options
    [​IMG]

Click the Handling Tab
    Click either Assign 1st Free or Assign to Omni
    [​IMG]

Assign 1st Free = Loads each .nki's in it's own midi channel (i use this when i know what instruments i will be using and what them in their own midi channel)

Assign to Omni = Loads all .nki's to the same midi channel (i use this when I'm looking to blend instruments or batch orchestra instruments together)

Click Close once you decided

It really depends on your workflow. I must warn you!!!, when using Assign 1st Free, every new instrument goes into a new midi channel, which has to be midi colour coded in Fl studio Piano Roll to play the sound. (you will know how to do this soon) Omni doesn't have this, since it plays everything.
    ===============================================================================

5. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

Route From Kontakt Midi Channels To Fl Studio Midi Channels

1.Layering instruments per midi channel, in this case i want 6 instruments on midi channel 1, so i set to [A] 1 instead of Omni (See Below)
    [​IMG]

2.Press F7 (FL Studio piano roll shortcut key) or click the Piano roll icon:
    [​IMG]
    The first midi channel is already be selected, so those instruments should play already
    [​IMG]

3.Now depending on your workflow, i keep my midi channels also on different pattern channels, Example my midi one channel consists of Violins so i name it that in the playlist & color code it also (see below)
    [​IMG]

4.Now i would go to Pattern 2 press F7 click the color group and click the midi channel 2, head back to kontakt set up my midi channel 2 instrument's (See Below)
    [​IMG]

5.Then my midi channels 3 & 4 with instruments (See Below)
    [​IMG]

6.You get the drift lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well that's all folks, if you have any issues feel free to post here. Enjoy

External Links:
    Route Kontakt to FL Studio

Routing Kontakt

Route Kontakt to Ableton Live

Route Kontakt to Logic Pro

Route Kontakt to Protools

6. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

Could not have explained it better! :beg:

(some images are broken here btw, but that happens often so I don't know if it's related to your post, Section 3 and 4 and the first image)

7. Remi

Remi Member

Those tutorials are really useful; but the images do not show. Is this because I haven't enabled a feature on this forum? I did look but couldn't find anything.