How to sell/license my music and how about the sound that I use!

Discussion in 'Education' started by essentia89, Sep 12, 2011.

1. essentia89

essentia89 Newbie

I'm new in the music world. I still have issues about selling and licensing my music. What are the thing that I need to do? I'm using massive and nexus 2 and few sample from the net. Some of the sound I own it,some of them I downloaded it. So do the samples. Do I need to buy all of those before sending demo to the labels or what? :dunno: Are all massive and nexus sounds royalty free? I'm still curious on this one.Thanks in advance. *yes*

3. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Good question :wink:

4. essentia89

essentia89 Newbie

yea man..is the license they provide us with the purchases enough and no extra cost after we try to sell our music? *yes*

5. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

Code:
    http://audiosex.pro/index.php?/topic/64-protecting-your-intellectual-property/

6. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

well the way i see it if your talking about one shot wav file kits with out patterned loops that they made i think don't weary about it because were do you think they got the DRUM /SYNTH and so on sounds from drum machines keyboards and i have kits from ethere companies that have the same exact sounds they took from each other and i know they did not pay every company like ROLAND KORG YAMAHA and so on so if you just used the sounds i say don't weary about it but if you used there loop patterns i still say use them and if the song is a hit then pay for the kit then your covered

7. essentia89

essentia89 Newbie

how about the synth sound? the soundsets? any idea? :dunno:

8. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

well like i sed if there one shot sounds you are good if its a long synth sound take-in from a synth and they make a kit from them your good but if they are patterned loops that they made then use them and if your song is a hit then go to there web site and buy the kit save the e-mail conformation and your good hope it helps

9. nick1980webb

nick1980webb Newbie

if you know your stuff is going to be published go and buy the stuff you have used ....restore the karma

10. bbater

bbater Newbie

As others have said, you need to buy any products you plan to make money (or go public in any way) with. It's the right thing to do, and it protects you from possibly being found out later.

As for the music you actually create using products made by others, you should always read the end-user license agreement / license information that comes with the product, but speaking generally, music you create using digital instruments is the same as music you create using real instruments- it's YOUR music. For Massive and Nexus, you definitely own whatever intellectual property you create with the programs. The only thing you can't do is re-sell their raw sounds as your own musical product. For example, you couldn't make a Kontakt sample library of factory presets from Massive and sell it as your own original digital instrument. However, if you record a song using a Massive preset, it's your song (though in the case of Massive, many people would probably recognize a factory preset and know you made the song with Massive).

11. Burg

Burg Newbie

BBATER is correct. Also essentia, you mentioned that once you are ready that you will be sending your music to "the labels"

If you are just starting out that is certianly one way to go. But I would also recommend researching online for music licensing / publishing companies. These can be music libraries, boutique licensing agents or agenecies, or even some of the online licensing outfits (use the free ones / don't pay!)

You can also subscribe to online licensing news outlets like Filmmusic which very oftern post job listings for scores.

I work in music licensing and am very familiair with this area of the industry.

Best of luck!

- Burg

12. essentia89

essentia89 Newbie

thanks guys, Burg... Can you give me sites example for online publishing and licensing for free. This really can help out! :wink:

13. Burg

Burg Newbie

Try this one http://www.musicdealers.com/ They list jobs all of the time that you can submit for. The best way to use this site (or be succesful in music licensing in general) is to be ready to create ANY type of music quickly. So if they need a Rock song about ice cream you should be able to whip up a good one quickly because msic superviors usually need the music immediately (giving you about a day to make and mix the track)

Also, check out this online magazine. They have a jobs board as well (with more jobs if you pay to subscribe)

http://www.filmmusicmag.com/

Try to read as much as you can so you can find more music sources.

You can also find music libraries their where you can directly submit your music for consideration.

Good luck man!

14. AudioDoct3r

AudioDoct3r Newbie

If you're looking for royalties through broadcasting look into getting a BMI or SOCAN ect.

15. giobenoni

giobenoni Newbie

yes, clearly for sure, for patches or softsynth sounds you don't have to pay or license at all.
    neither for drum or percloops.
    using midi or wav melodies from sample packs is a bit trickier, when you use them without changing that is. then i would advice you to buy the stuff you have made, better to always play things safe.

anyway, i wouldnt advice you to just use ready-made complete wav melo's, because after release, the track will get on every forum you know, and released on youtube etc. there will always be some smartasses knowing the sample you took and spread the word around. and they will bring down your reputation even faster than you could ever realize.