How to save your Kontakt libraries without doing it manually every time by opening an old project?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Nick12, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Nick12

Nick12 Platinum Record

I would like to open some of my old projects. In these projects Kontakt was used. When I open these projects I get an error message in Kontakt that says content is missing. Luckily I know where these samples are and if I select them in browsing for folders in Kontakt it will work. Although, I have to do this every time when I open these projects. Is there a way that you do could this one time and then it will be saved for instance?

If I am right you could prevent this by doing a batch re-save for instance. I have tried this, but the error message still keeps showing up unfortunately. I am a bit lost at this point right now.

I really would like to ask if there are maybe any people out here who may know something or have any ideas and would like to help me out with this?

Thanks in advance!

3. Aileron

Aileron Audiosexual

Try exporting the registry settings for Native Instruments (= Kontakt, among other stuff):

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Native Instruments]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Native Instruments]

If, over time, your registry changes, say because of a Windows re-install, running (= adding) the saved keys may help Kontakt connect with the libraries again.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  4. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

If the libraries are missing, I suppose that those were on a different location when you saved the old projects, right?
    So what I would suggest you, observe the location in the Kontakt error message (so you don't have to depend on your /brain/memory) and create them, creating the last folder at the end of this location path as an alias to the actually existing location of the library's folder.
    If you had every library under the same main folder, you can just make an alias for that main folder, on the old location path.

I suppose that you don't want to move your libraries from their actual location to the old one.

Now, what happens if your old library-locations were on a different drive that doesn't exist anymore? Well, you must create a virtual drive with the same name (our letter if it's in Windows) and fake the old location path inside it.

I don't think there's anything to do with Registry. The error message says about the missing content, not about missing Kontakt files.

Oh wait... if the DAW is complaining about the missing content, it would mean that it sees the instrument patches, only missing are the samples which is strange. How is it possible? Did you store the samples in different location from the rest of the library?
    If the instrument patch complains about the missing samples, you can solve it with a batch resave. Otherwise you have to either create an alias with the old location path or move the libraries to the old location path naming structure.

5. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

To make it clear:
    DAWs most probably just save the inserted VSTi plugins' name and the location of the instrument patches loaded in that VSTi. They don't save the content path of each instrument patch.
    However, that means that when the instrument patch is missing, the DAW loads the Kontakt plugin without it and doesn't let you search for the missing files, if I'm not mistaken. I remember it loaded an empty Kontakt VST (or at least without the missing instrument) all the time.

6. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

It is strange that Batch Resave is not working.
    What is your OS and Kontakt version?
    Make sure your Kontakt Library folder is not marked as "Read Only".

7. Nick12

Nick12 Platinum Record

Thank you very much for all your replies! I really appreciate it.

I think I have found another way to solve it. It only just takes a lot of time especially when you have multiple old projects with a lot of Kontakt patches. Anyway, here is the way.
    I opened for instance an old project that was having these issues. I selected the location where the missing samples are. I checked the box with resolve all possible. After I have done this for everything that's missing I saved the project to a new name. Next time when I open this project the error messages are not showing up anymore. This is only for one project. I don't know if it's the same for my other projects aswell. I still have to test that.

Thank you very much for your reply!

Alright. I have done that. Looks like a back-up or something. I am so aware of saving things and making back-ups that this looks like a good idea indeed.

I believe all the samples of a library that belongs together are all together. I had to do a Windows re-install. Luckily I had made a back-up of everything that I was using. I already knew that Kontakt will give an error message in my old projects that says content is missing. If I am right batch re-save is the best and the fastest way to help Kontakt with finding missing content. I got this error message one time before. If I can remember I did a batch re-save aswell, but then it was working, because I didn't have to do it manually every time by opening an old project.

I am using the latest version of Windows 10. I have two Kontakt versions. One is 5.8.1. The other one is 6.1.1

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  8. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Glad to hear it's working :)
    The greatest thing i know of is Kontakt portable, as it saves all references / settings in one folder.
    I keep all my portables on a seperate drive (same drive as my "Studio" folder),so no matter what I do with OS, it's quick to get the DAW running again.
    I wish EVERYTHING was portable :)
    Well, expect my toilet. I have seen how that works.

9. Nick12

Nick12 Platinum Record

Yeah, it seems that I can fix it at least with one way which makes me happy aswell. It will take a lot of time. but I quess that´s just the way it is currently and I actually don´t really mind if I can save my old projects with that. Although, it's still a bit of a shame that batch re-save isn't working and I don't really understand why yet.

Anyway, thank you for your help and the others aswell!