How To Save Drum/Instrument Racks With Sound Preview

Discussion in 'Live' started by Stevie Dude, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Hello,

Just a quick question, how to save your own drum/instrument racks (*.adg) that whenever you click them on the Live's browser it would play a sound/beat of that particular rack ? I think all the Instrument/Drum Racks from the Live Packs and the Factory have preview a sound, but whenever I save my own, it has no sound. I have a lot of stuff saved but I don't remember what it was all about after some time, hard to load one by one and test it.

3. shake_puig

shake_puig Producer

I found a solution: From the instrument you want to save, drag and drop the MIDI sequence from the arrangement view to the user library location. It will save your instrument and chain

4. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

You mean save the clips ? It will mess the folder because it will create a project and folders etc, plus the ALC files (Ableton clips) took a while to load. I use that method to save ideas, and riffs for song starter but it doesn't really solve the problem for racks because the time it needs to load the saved clips is equal to adding the rack/clip to the track and we're back to square 1.

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Saving an Ableton Live 9 Instrument Rack (.ADG) from a set file (.ALP)

Learn Live 10: Saving presets

You can install the ALPs with a double click. You can find them under PLACES-> PACKS

You can simply drag ADG's into a midi or audio track, then click on save (this little disk there).
    The whole thing then ends up in the User Library "Documents \ Ableton \ User Library \ Presets"
    There are folders for racks

Audio Effects-> Audio Effect Rack
    Instruments -> Instrument Rack
    MIDI Effects -> MIDI Effect Rack

+ the folder for individual instr. and FX.

Depending on what it is, Live will suggest the location for you.
    ALS opens a new project for you, in which there is probably an ADG that is to be treated as described above.
    Well, I keep building that up again and again ^^
    But you can also make a folder with sub-folders for ADG's and pack them into Places.

https://recording.de/threads/ableton-live-packs-und-drum-racks-richtig-installieren.207027/

6. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

Hey @Stevie Dude, I got back to full time Ableton user this year so I have yet to relearn all the stuff that I once knew and add new feats to that. It's a long way to say - for now I can't really help you ;)

But I think you are not after the above solutions (alc is sort of a fix, but not really..). I think the other guys are just talking about how to make an adg (which you already know). I doubt it will come with the preview though.

I'm saying that because IIRC you have to make an audio file (I think it was .ogg) for the preview, and the rest is sort of complicated, like directory structure, packs, something something.. (but not rocket science). I think I found the right documentation that I saved for myself but I have to test the procedure before I go smartassing full speed..

Anyway if you meanwhile got/found an easy solution just let me know. I'm interested! :yes:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List