How to run 32 bit plugin on Big Sur ?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by RCHD, Dec 22, 2021.

1. RCHD

RCHD Newbie

Hello.

For quite some time I tried to make 32 bit plugin to work on Big Sur (mostly Soundtoys). I tried with 32 Lives but it keeps crashing. I installed various version but none of the worked.

Then I tried to install the demo and it says that 32Lives doesn't work on my system. Do anyone know how I can make those plugin work ?

Thanks for your help.
    Merry Christmas.

Have a good day.

3. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

You can't, because the (32-bits) parts of the OS applications link to aren't in the OS anymore. Apps/plugins can't run because they link against non-existant OS code to work.

4. RCHD

RCHD Newbie

So there is no way I can use those fancy Soundtoys plugins ? Unless I buy them... :(

5. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

If you're trying to run old, outdated stuff on a modern Mac, then no. You'll need the current, up-to-date versions that are compatible with it, or stick to your old, out-dated Mac for that software.

6. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

Lesser Galactic Co-ordinates: Earth (0.0.0)
    Or wait for someone to release newer version.

7. RCHD

RCHD Newbie

Will it ever happen ? :)

Thanks anyway for all the answer.

8. Heraclitus

Heraclitus Ultrasonic

9. alidonkaka6

alidonkaka6 Noisemaker

HI

You can't because the (32-bits) components of the OS apps that the applications link to are no longer in the OS. Apps and plugins can't execute since they rely on OS code that doesn't exist.real estate istanbul

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  10. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

I haven't tried Heraclitus solution, but I doubt it works with the new Os, if someone does, please let us know.
    if your hard drive allows it, maybe try
    - run an older version of macOs on a partition of your hard-drive with which it will work
    - install windows on partition of your hard-drive and run the plugins through a windows based DAW
    but it must be a pain in the *ss.
    I'd wait for a new version, but there's a chance you'd wait a long time, I mean : the east-west libs showed up recently on the sister site something like nearly 10 years after, so..
    buying them if you can afford it seem the only other option for now, but one can "survive" without Soundtoys or Soothe,
    there's enough good plugins out there that can do the job ( D16, waves .. )

11. clone

clone Audiosexual

after some reading, Reaper bridging probably will not work either. I didn't think it would, but was worth a look.

12. Heraclitus

Heraclitus Ultrasonic

Is Monterey 12.1 latest enough :bleh: ? Subscribe to get notified for new stuff, comment for doubts, TUTs requests etc.

BTW, I own both mac and win Jbridge versions, Joao is super cool and you should start to buy it again... I love when a plan comes together...

13. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

If you need native 32 bit plugin support you need to install macOS mojave. Everything else is just a nightmare in terms of CPU usage and latency.

BTW, the easiest way to leave 32 bit behind is buying the plugins you are using…

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  14. Heraclitus

Heraclitus Ultrasonic

There are very old vsts that are only available for windows and only as 32 bit. Use them as I show in my video and the CPU and Latency will be the same as a native plugin, of course if you never used my solution, you couldn't know.

15. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

If you say so. Usually, using JBridge (java-based, which automatically introduces latency) inside a virtualized windows version using crossover should introduce even more latency.

But macOS has new Virtualization Capabilities since macOS 11.3. Maybe this helps to work around the issue in Monterey.

16. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

how is it doing latency wise ?
    I didn't say it was impossible, I was raising concerns after reading those who tried alternative solutions.

but honestly, all these manipulations just to run a plugin - if you add to that protection issues, I'm not sure it worth wasting so much time,

at this point, I couldn't care less about plugins I had to leave behind because of Os updates and migration, I have more than enough like that,
    but it's always great to see that people still share tricks and ressources.

thanks for the demonstration, though :like: