How to replicate this hi hat style?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by ricbm710, Jan 30, 2023.

1. ricbm710

ricbm710 Kapellmeister

Please check this at 7:52.
    Project tempo reads 156 bpm.

I thought it was going to be easy to replicate just as a fun practice but I failed.
    Could you please share your thoughts? Is there some sort of bouncing delay involved masking the original pattern? Is this characteristic of a specific genre so I can dig more about it?

3. subducker

subducker Member

I am not familiar with Ableton, but did you recognize this short sequence?

Maybe you can read out the blue dot pattern?

Indeed the first thing i thought was that it sounds like a wild delay setting, but it seems not to be a delay on the hat, you can somehow follow the Velocity dots along when played at 0.25 speed.

At least only 10% delay setting on the drum fx wich can be seen in a later sequence.

On the bottom left side you can see that its a "Keys 2 Love Kit" is this something like Reason's regroovemixer? It has a 144 bmp in the name while the track is at 156 as you mentioned.

Maybe i would sample it and try to reconstruct it on a slow tempo. Hopefully its not delay on it...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023

Attached Files:

4. 9ty

9ty Kapellmeister

My thoughts are:

- Highly syncopated pattern
    - Some kind of swing or handmade wonky feeling
    - Filtered to the back, maybe a bit of reverb too
    - That bouncing effect could also be archieved by ghost notes (very low velocity) between the accents

Maybe you can listen to some drill music, atleast that was my first association... without being an expert I have to say.