How to rename mididriver?

Discussion in 'PC' started by GanjaRa_, Jun 8, 2012.

1. GanjaRa_

GanjaRa_ Newbie

hi there,

maybe anyone knnows how to rename midi-driver?

e.g. i want to rename MIDI in/out for my MPD32 "MIDIOUT2 (Akai MPD32)" to "Alpha Juno 2", because the a-Juno 2 is connected there.
    when i have to select my MIDI Port it is more clear to read Alpha Juno 2 instead of MIDIOUT 2 (Akai MPD 32).

mabye there is a way in registry or somewhere else?

3. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

I understand what you mean, a very similar thing happened last month at NASA, they realized that when some people see a full moon they get confused to why sometimes its a half moon or quarter phase moon, so NASA decided to rename the moon to THAT THING IN THE SKY!

Lets hope nobody puts a towel of something over your keyboard and covers the name Roland, then you will really be confused :wink:

4. GanjaRa_

GanjaRa_ Newbie

:)

well, there are also output "Akai MPD32" and inputs "Akai MPD32" "MIDIIN2 (Akai MPD32)" & "MIDIIN3 (Akai MPD32), where "MIDIOUT2 (Akai MPD32)" and "MIDIIN3 (Akai MPD32)" are the hardware MIDI plugs

would be nice to rename this stupid given names.

5. malco

malco Newbie

Dont Worry GanjaRa: your Question is valid because it's quite usual to rename midiports. everybody do that (expect The-RoBoT.. hehe)

i use cubase and there's no problem to rename ports and it doesnt matter which gear ofcoz'.

The DAW you use must have similar functions check the manual or google.

for Cubase it goes like this:

1. Open the Device Setup dialog from the Devices menu.
    2. Select the Windows MIDI device in the Device list. The available MIDI inputs and outputs are listed under the Setup tab.
    3. To change the name of a MIDI port, click in the Device column and type in a new name.

After closing the dialog, the new names will appear on the MIDI “in:” and “out” as well as pop-ups in the Inspector and Track Mixer.

6. GanjaRa_

GanjaRa_ Newbie

its ableton live
    i think there is no way inside live to rename mididriver/ports

7. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ GanjaRa_ ,

If what you're looking for could be what you can see in the following snapshot, just let me know and I'll explain you how to get this kind of setup :

[​IMG]
    The 'Red Arrows' correspond to your desired 'Alpha JUNO 2' setup, whereas the 'Green Arrows' correspond to the MIDI Device that will be replaced by your own 'AKAI MPD32' MIDI Device (in place of 'PHASE 22 MIDI').

8. GanjaRa_

GanjaRa_ Newbie

yea, this looks much better!!
    how did you manage the mididriver/port is renamed?

9. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ GanjaRa_ ,

It's in the Box ! Simply check your 'Messenger Box'... :wink:

[​IMG]
    Upper left corner of the 'Main Page' (to the right of your 'sign-in' member's name)