How to remix a song legally

Discussion in 'general discussion' started by Gyorgy Ligeti, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Gyorgy Ligeti

Gyorgy Ligeti Platinum Record

Hi guys,
    I would like to ask you for an opinion. We made a remix of a single, by a major Republic Records artist, UMG. How can I get the permission of the author, or the label to formalize our remix and not have legal issues?
    Anyone in the industry here can give me some pointers?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Find out the address of the record company and write there, describe your request and wait for an answer.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

For a remix, which uses the original recordings, the author (composer, texter, songwriter) or the publisher must be asked for consent. If the original recordings are used, the permission of the record company that published the original track is also required.

In both cases, as @BEAT16 mentionend, you'll need to find out their addresses and just contact them, ofc.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  5. Doctor_Me

Doctor_Me Platinum Record

That's a really interesting question actually. I'm wondering if I'm allowed to release my remix if the actual author/label have released the stems for a remix competition for instance. Is that considered a "permission" already?

6. Gyorgy Ligeti

Thanks for the valuable information. When you mean addresses, you are talking about email, right? I mean, the Universal MG email, in the Request License section?

7. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

You'd have to read the terms and conditions that accompany release of the stems. Simply making them publicly available doesn't give the world carte blanche permission to do whatever the hell they feel like with them.

The first remix competition I dug up contained this in the rules:

"Except as otherwise provided herein You may not assign or transfer any rights or obligations hereunder without prior consent of SKIO."

Releasing a remix would surely involve 'assigning or transferring rights' without consent.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  8. waverider

waverider Rock Star

You could also try licensing services like
    https://www.easysong.com/services/licensing/get-permission/

they offer a 'custom license service' where they will contact the rightsholders for everything that's not a simple compulsory cover license (and since you do a remix, it is not simply a cover).
    This is costly though, more than 100$, and on top of that you need to pay whatever license fees the rightsholders might end up asking for etc.

• Interesting Interesting x 4
    • List
  9. Doctor_Me

I see. That's a really complex subject with lots of important details involved. And even the interpretation of the contract is quite subjective as well. For example, I don't see a remix as a "rights transfer", unless one hide the credits of the original authors. But yeah, thats only my way of seeing things, probably a lawyer would prove me wrong, haha

10. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

Do you believe the rights somehow transferred to you? I'm pretty sure that they'd argue that they did for a very specific, limited use -- participation in the competition. And you have no right to use the IP for any other purposes.

As with all these things, if you were to just release it on bandcamp, nobody was listening to it and nobody was making any money, I'm sure nobody would care one way or the other.

But you couldn't sign it to a label or anything like that, that'd be a clear assignation of rights. And regardless of how it happened, if it ever started generating revenue, the original rights holders will be all over you like a nasty rash.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  11. No Avenger

You can also do it by carrier pigeon or carriage, if you prefer that. [​IMG] :winker:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Doctor_Me

Oh, no, that's a completely different approach. I'm just talking about releasing it unnoficially on YT and Soundcloud for instance, without even activating the monetization and giving all the credits for the original artists. And always adding an e-mail for "DMCA" style requests on the description. And even like that I know there's a risk of my remix being taken down from the platforms.

13. Gyorgy Ligeti

:rofl::mates:

14. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Turn it into a parody record like Weird Al" Yankovic does. If you do that you don't need permission of any kind, although he does as he is a nice guy. Making parody songs have earned him five Grammy Awards and a further 11 nominations, four gold records and six platinum records in the U.S. He's sold over 12,000,000 records, so...

Go for it and fulfill the prophecy, your destiny, your true purpose in life.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. No Avenger

That would be a cover, not a remix.

16. boingy99

boingy99 Kapellmeister

Go the official route and they'll pay you the standard remixer's fee. You'll be able to buy a round of drinks and a pizza for your family. :wink:

17. B00nD0ggie

B00nD0ggie Kapellmeister

White label that shit

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

If it was me in this situation, I'd just go ahead and do it. As you say, as long as you aren't depriving them of revenue then the most likely outcome is someone asking you to take it down or demanding that all the ad revenue goes to them.

19. Doctor_Me

Yeah, as an independent artist I would do it for sure. I believe it's totally harmless for the original artists if not trying to get money from it without their consent or hiding their credits pretending it's an "original" composition (sadly it happens a lot). And it can even be good and useful for the artist to have a different approach on his/her song to reach different audiences and being played in different places.

20. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

you can not pubish something which already has been published.

i am afraid in theory there is no big difference between distributing things with commercial interest or without. all what counts is that you have permission to disribute it if it is not yours.

there is also a high risk that youtube claims your original work would not be your orginal work. :([/quote]

21. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Just do the remix without any vocals or if you have them obtain from somewhere (like AI splitted) add them and then send it to the label and ask them if they are interested in this remix.

I will majorly hard if the song is a pop song or from any major Label. For these indie-labels with only licensing to bigger labels, its very easy to convince them if the remix is good enough and a style they are interested.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List