How to recreate this 'melodic chillwave' sound

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Aadleezy, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Aadleezy

Aadleezy Member

I'm just getting started into the world of sound design, and there's one song in particular I've been trying to recreate by Dabin feat. Runn - Alive. How would one go about trying to recreate the sound of the drop at 1:52. There's obviously a filter being modulated at the cut off to make that wavy oscillating sound. But other than that I can only imagine it's multiple layers of sounds being stacked upon each other, I just don't have much of a clue how to achieve those sounds. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Best Answer
    It's basically just volume/amplitude ducking, as in sidechain compression or enveloper (Xfer LFOtool, etc). You create some vocal-ish pad with reverb and then modulate the volume (on the pad+reverb bus) with ducking/envelope/volume automation/etc. There are many ways to create this type of "fast fader riding" effect.

At 4:56 you can hear another "vocal pad" layer that has half-time ducking.

4. Aadleezy

Aadleezy Member

Thank you! I didn't really consider the sound to be a vocal, even though I did hear an 'oh' sound to it. I was too focused on it being a synthesizer kind of sound, though I'm sure with enough sound design you could replicate that sound through a synthesizer.

Just to be clear, are you referring to the plugin by Cableguys when you say half-time ducking? If so I haven't gotten around to trying that plugin, but I'll definitely check it out!

5. Mr. Narwhal

Mr. Narwhal Newbie

The "ducking" is just volume automation and can be done in various ways depending on what is easiest for you. You can use a plugin like Kickstart, LFOTool, VolumeShaper, etc, or you can just create an automation clip that controls the volume of the sound and create a curve that you like. There are a lot of YT tutorials about it too so you really can't go wrong

6. Aadleezy

Aadleezy Member

Thank you for the comment! I'm well aware of what ducking is and how to achieve it, in my OP I was more curious about how to design the specific sound in mind. But if your comment is in regards to my second post, I was actually more curious what 'half-time' ducking is.

7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

You can use vocal samples in a sampler or in a granular synth. You can even use vocal chops in a wavetable synth like Serum.

By halftime I mean half the subdivision that the first one have. I'm a drummer so I think of halftime like that, as it's a term we use.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019