How to properly place a 40" or larger LCD screen in the studio?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by El Cycer, Jan 24, 2024.

1. El Cycer

El Cycer Producer

The time has come to change my LCD screen and I would like an extralarge one, I have only one question: where the hell do I put the nearfield monitors with a 40"+ video screen? flat or curved is the same: there is no space left for audio monitors. Don't tell me to place speakers on the sides of the screen, because they would be too far away and the stereo image would be screwed up. Note: I use eyeglasses and my correct focal length is about 25" or 60cm from the screen. One option could be to hang audio monitors to the ceiling with chains, but I'm not used to the sound coming from above and I'm sure I would be uncomfortable. I was thinking of cutting the desk and placing the screen lower facing upwards, a solution called "recessed screen" (see pics)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm confused: How did you resolve this issue? How do you manage your extralarge screen?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. boingy99

boingy99 Kapellmeister

You said you don't want to hear it but most people do put the speakers at the side of the screen and that works for screens up to about 40 inch.

When the screen gets really large it's a compromise. Some people put the screen higher but I think that will be uncomfortable after a while. Some people put it up high and add a smaller screen between the speakers. I've not seen many where the screen is lowered into the desk, simply because desk space is always at a premium. Speakers up high is not a good idea. Typically the tweeters should be level with your ears for nearfields. I think you should try it with speakers to the side. As long as they are angled in towards you you'll be fine. You can always sit back a bit when it comes to critical listening.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. El Cycer

El Cycer Producer

I have a friend who is into coding and uses the large screen in portrait mode: an interesting idea, but I think it's an inconvenience with the DAW.

[​IMG]

My current setup is with a 27" screen and speakers on the side, then I have midfield monitors about 6 feet behind: both triangles are perfect and I'm happy with it, but I would like the larger screen.
    Some time ago I did a test with a video projector connected to the computer: brightness and resolution are poor, also the fan makes a hell of a noise, in the end I got rid of it.
    I saw that there are (expensive) touch screens for daw, maybe I should try them. [​IMG]

5. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

yeah most of the code has a character limit per line to be a tidy code, so in fact you need less Width, but more Height is useful.
    for DAWs its the opposite.
    if you go 4k and reasonable size for the display itself, it can be very useful (but keep in mind, that some plugins UIs are still not scalable.)
    i would either put the 4k display on the wall if that works or if you can put it on the desk directly.

Ohhh i just saw 40 inch, that should be big enough for 4k!

6. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

I had mine mounted to the wall for years, but the monitors sets I use are on stands and floor standing models. Having such a large monitor wall mounted worked for me as it allowed me to get some distance from it which you need with such large displays, if they are too close it isn't comfortable at all.

The solution might be to get some monitor stands unless you have to floor space, you might also consider desk attached stands if your desk is deep.

Hanging monitors and soffit mounted monitors are a voodoo science in itself. I looked into it but with counter weights, springs and cable tension and modifications needed to the structure of the ceiling and floor I deemed not worth the investment for my own needs.

7. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

I see another solution: use TWO medium sized screens in vertical
    One for DAW tracks, other for plugins, mixer ...

Something like this :
    upload_2024-1-24_16-33-15.jpeg

So first, what is the maximum screen size you can accommodate ?
    Because a big screen at 60 cm will oblige you to move your head left and right permanently ... and THIS will screw your stereo image :wink:

Second point : there is a misconception about distance and stereo image.
    There is NO stereo image trouble when pushing near field monitor far away, as long as it is an equilateral triangle.
    You can put them on the wall or stands outside your desk.

Problem is ROOM sound and screen being too close will be in your monitors path

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Rock Star

I prefer 2 smaller screens side by side, to one larger screen. makes it easier to configure things and keep the screens from getting too busy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

Especially since most applications can memorize desk configuration :wink:

10. El Cycer

El Cycer Producer

Yes this could be an idea, instead of 2 medium size screens, I'd prefer a big one (55' curved) in portrait mode, mounted with the bottom edge touching the desk (like this):
    [​IMG]

A different approach is to buy a superwide screen and mount it at a strong angle, with the speakers on top (like this):
    [​IMG]

I've been thinking about it for some time: my concern is exactly to prevent the screen from interfering with the soundwaves coming from the speakers.

11. Garamondo Furbish

prepare for neck pain if you used a monitor that tall.

12. El Cycer

El Cycer Producer

Yeah maybe, so what's your solution?

13. zalbadar

zalbadar Ultrasonic

wall mount the screen at the height it would be on your desk and move the desk away from the wall abit.

The speakers are in the positions your use to them on the desk and ok they are in front of the screen but since you can move to see round them, it works. It never troubled me in the past when I did it.

What did bother me was stuff falling off the back of the desk into the gap between the screen and the desk.

Now using 2 smaller screens, angled up at about 60° because i found i was standing looking down at the mixer and got sick of looking back up to the screen.

14. Audioguydaz

Audioguydaz Kapellmeister

You can get away with a hell of a lot of seemingly awful reflection points in your room. I've got a big square monitor right in front of me, nearfields either side and forward of the screen slightly. An 88 note controller and desk with keyboard/mouse etc right there. It's not exactly reflection free.
    In my experience it's simply a matter of figuring out how x or y mix decisions translate from where you are sitting to where you want to hear it. If you can make that connection then you'll be fine. I've seen so many studios (proper ones that are the sole income of the owner kinda thing) that are so far from ideal in terms of acoustics. But it's appears to be more about what the user does with the tone of the room Vs whats coming out of the speakers.

But your mileage may vary of course - for me I've always worked in more humble spaces and so midfields are a little ostentatious - it's more about having the nearfields close, big old monitor to keep track and make comfortable all the data and just being aware of the reality of what you can realistically expect from your room. Keep the volume low when you want to hear what is actually going on with the mix (so that the room is less involved in the picture) and crank it when you want to just vibe and roll with it.

15. tgunz020707

tgunz020707 Kapellmeister

This is what I have and I use a 43 inch Samsung tv I use floor speaker stands to the side not what comes with the desk so the top is flat.I could probably go a little bigger but not by alot, it also depends on the feet of the TV stand some are farther apart mine are about 4 inches in on each side of the tv.Which gives me about 5 or 6 inches from the feet of the TV to the end of the top of the desk and works great for me.I use to have multiple monitors but personally I like having one big screen instead of having the break in between each case of the screen.Im 6' 1" so for me the screen is straight forward and I don't have to stretch my neck crazy to see it but this desk also has adjustable feet to lower it if need be.I know you weren't asking about a desk I was just trying to explain how I use my TV and why. Screenshot_20240124_193606_Firefox.jpg

16. Slavestate

Slavestate Platinum Record

Same here. Just replaced a 32" 4K 'ColorPro' sRGB display (I just bought six months ago) with 2 27" 2K displays.. MUCH more comfortable for me, and I've got an extra monitor to move stuff around to so I don't have to keep minimizing windows, or cluttering things up. Cubase is so nice now, I can actually use the MixConsole while Im looking at the arrangement. Plus they both run at 165Hz, and being an employee, they cost me less than $200 for both of em hah.

17. Garamondo Furbish

monitor should always be at eye height so you don't need to look up or down to see it,if you have to have it somewhere else make it down a bit.
    its easier to look down than up in earths gravity field. I've found 2 monitors enough for my uses. You'll need speakers to be ear height, so you may have to finagle the triangle a bit or try placing a speaker between monitors, it breaks the visual but its easier to sit closer to the screen and speakers with that configuration.

A control surface might be able to replace some of what you are trying to do with a screen.

18. clone

clone Audiosexual

if you have your monitor on a desk shelf, like the desk picture above; it's not that big of a deal. Your monitor is 2 or 3 feet away, so it is less of an angle than if it was very close to you. And if you have a good studio chair it will tilt backwards, not forward. The way to really screw up your neck is to have the monitor angled from your keyboard typing position.

19. El Cycer

El Cycer Producer

With your 40” on the desk, you will have to place your speakers very wide to avoid them being covered by the screen: what about the triangle?
    This is my concern:
    [​IMG]

Ok maybe I'm overthinking the problem, the thing is that I'm upgrading: I'm about to invest 3k in a new workstation and I would like to make the right choice.

20. ballinthejack

ballinthejack Member

Equilateral triangle to your body with tweeters on the same plane as your ears, 1-2 feet from walls, centered. Any size speaker or room. Adjust placements to your own tastes and field of view without having to turn your head side to side to see the monitor. I use a 50 inch and two floor stand speakers, near field style.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  21. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

Near field are created for equilateral triangle stereo field.
    And only equilateral triangle.
    If you move them further, you will get a hole in the middle of stereo field.

That why if you use big screen(s), you will need to put your monitors outside the desk OR screen behind them.

There is nothing in between.

About screen height, yes too low or too high is a pain by nature.
    smartphone/tablet users know it :wink:

You can look a little above horizontal, but that's all will work without neck pain.