How to overcome compulsive download syndrome? (CDS)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by TruBlood, Mar 21, 2017.

1. TruBlood

TruBlood Kapellmeister

hahah I'm just kind of messing around but it seriously stops a lot of us from starting tracks we are so focused on looking for new sample packs and VST's etc.

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. virusg

virusg Rock Star

most of us dont have such problems, i find it funny, try, then use what you like, uninstall what you dont use, its simple ...

4. ia

ia Producer

I healed myself by 99% hdd filled

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

I check if there is anything new to DL and if there is not I just turn off the comp.. And if there is, I spend all my time downloading and stuff

And then the depression kicks in.. :hahaha:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. GreatJobChamp

GreatJobChamp Producer

I am a recovering addict... still sober :D

7. Windows97

Windows97 Ultrasonic

Disconnect from the internet when you produce something

8. flyingsleeves

flyingsleeves Platinum Record

After trying something for a while, if I can't imagine myself eventually purchasing it then it gets deleted. There's no point in holding onto things that aren't worth buying. I'm looking for things to delete on almost a daily basis. Now I'm at a point where I can be preemptive and just avoid downloading things in the first place because I know I'm just going tp end up deleting it anyways. My goal is to only keep the tools that are consistently in my workflow and help me express my ideas, and then buy them as I can afford them.

Hold onto the tools you use the most, and get rid of everything else. Before hitting that download button, ask yourself if you really need it. It takes practice, but if feels good to be content with what you have and not want anymore.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  9. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

For 5 + years I was obsessed with getting everything I could. After my girlfriend and I had a heated argument about how much time I spent organizing my libraries I had a light go off in my head.... I only download the big ones now. Updates are only when they offer CPU performance efficiency and sound libraries/kits don't even get looked at unless I'm familiar w the brand/quality.... I can't believe how much time I wasted downloading and organizing that could have been used to produce or play music...

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. Aliens

Aliens Guest

It's like smoking or drinking a lot when you realise you are investing too much whilst reaping zero benefit. You just stop doing it.
    There is no correct answer, as all options are okay in the mind of the right beholder, but simply decide if you want to write songs or be a software collector.

Everyone is of course unique, but most will want a daw, a few top notch synths, some standard effects and maybe something esoteric and inspirational. Apart from that, it's all fluff and filler. Make music, save bandwidth.

Remember, unless you're loaded with cash, If you were buying it with your own money, I assure you you'd already be cured of your habit.
    I know I reached my own creative zenith the moment I became legit, so there's some truth behind the point.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

R2R took care of that for us. No CDS any more. :hahaha:

I must say that it feels rather positive in my case. You get more time to know the tools you work with and get to make better tunes. :winker:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. m9cao

m9cao Producer

buy hardware, delete all free soft warz,
    pay anything you want, forget everything you dont pay
    the less is more

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. errorjan

errorjan Ultrasonic

Thanks for spending me hope. I was thinking I'm the only one :crazy::winker:

14. pjotr41

pjotr41 Newbie

haha, i know that problem, i think one day when ur have filled 10 hdd´s or ur hdd crash s wit bluescreens etc s u will find ur favourites and only dl that stuff in future

15. dashfiss

dashfiss Kapellmeister

Not really into acoustic stuff at all myself, which does help the HD quite a bit, those Kontakt libraries will fill up your HD quickly if you go nuts. These days I just download some synth presets now and then, the odd vocal chops/drum samples only if it's very interesting, and software updates ofc. I'm like into 150 GB of shit, not counting tutorials -- beat that ;)

16. errorjan

errorjan Ultrasonic

Hehe, hopefully you won't discover the Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2 synth and lib patch (127 GB) ;-)

17. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

transfer all the time you spend on searching and downloading new toys and gadgets into time you spend making music and see where you're at in six months. You'll get the picture. :winker:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

on a more serious note.. I have a "to do" list, which is kinda extension of the fresh OS install "to do" list. All the essentials. 3-4 synths (best subtractive, FM, wave..), those go to dinamics, a rompler.. some treats ;) Also it depends what you do. If you do mixes or mastering other tools will be important. After a couple of years you know what is always on your desk. "The List" is a time saver for me. :yes:

19. errorjan

errorjan Ultrasonic

Ok, seriously. We probably have now everything out of the synth/fx/lecture/sample heaven. Now it's really time to go on... Did someone already started to read some manuals?? Oops...:facepalm:

20. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

Keep it simple. I love the 'compulsive download syndrome' designation. I'm floored . . .
    :rofl:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  21. G String

G String Rock Star

I first saw anxiety about "information retention" and acquisition described as mental illness at least a decade ago. Mostly it was about the retention of data - people can't delete things - but they can also want to collect more and more. It's a normal abnormality, as it were: it's common.

It's avoidant behaviour? Managing a library instead of reading it? Personally I think it fed my (perhaps unconscious) hope that the next one will be *the one*. Whereas stopping downloading forces one to confront real work and (in my case) the real disappointment and pain of being shit.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List